Official Photography Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    In the first series, absolutely the penultimate one.
    If by "first series", you mean the Haystock rock series, then yes, that one has been printed, matted, framed, and hung in the living room.

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    In the bird series, I don't know why but if there is a lot of bird poop in the picture, I start feeling pukey.
    I understand the sentiment and previously concretely held the same view, I've slowly started to entertain the idea where it serves an artistic purpose, but I haven't fully convinced myself either.

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    And your black and white conversion is fantastic.
    I like stories. This is my oldest daughter carrying her younger cousin on her back. The cousin's family was visiting for a few weeks, they currently live in Barcelona, and previously in Istanbul. We were staying in a beach house in a gated community called Surf Pines (rental courtesy of my in-laws), just north of the small town of Gearhart, Oregon. As soon as we pulled into the neighborhood I told my wife I was ready to move there. Windblown scraggly beach pines with about 600 yards of tall protected grasslands that separate the community from the beach. In most places the grasslands have a rise which obstructs the line of sight from the homes to the beach, which was the rental's only drawback. Second to last night a few of us walked through the grass (each home has a maintained path to the beach) to photograph the sunset. As I headed back, I got to the top of the rise I saw this image in the dusky just past sunset light. Quickly whipped out the camera, didn't check anything and shot 5 images. The camera was set for 1/15 of a second from shooting wide-angle landscapes so I had the 10-18mm lens mounted, but 2 of them came out sharp enough. One I converted to the blur, and the other I cropped to panoramic removing mostly clear sky and then converted to a grainy, moody black and white. I already miss that place, and this captures that mood.

Comment

I have the same taste as Pelado
      Most are not courageous enough to admit that.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Next and last morning of the trip. Many long exposures ruined by the tripod slowly sinking into the wet sand, oops.

Long exposure

Grainy long exposure

Oystercatcher chicks

Flirting puffins

It was him!

Look at me!

Look back pose

Taking a rest on a bed of mussels

Last puffin

And we're done

Comment

• I like several, but this is my favorite.

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
          Next and last morning of the trip. Many long exposures ruined by the tripod slowly sinking into the wet sand, oops.

Because when does one ever see a bird in this spread eagle position? I mean, why is it even called spread eagle?

Comment

I like several, but this is my favorite.

Because when does one ever see a bird in this spread eagle position? I mean, why is it even called spread eagle?
            *Banned*

Comment

• Did not buy a solar filter, did not travel to path of totality. Camas, WA had 99%. Dialed in 1/8000 f/20 at ISO 100, focused on a cloud, set to manual focus, aimed at the sun, clicked.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                Did not buy a solar filter, did not travel to path of totality. Camas, WA had 99%. Dialed in 1/8000 f/20 at ISO 100, focused on a cloud, set to manual focus, aimed at the sun, clicked.
                I don't see an image. Are you saying that even at 99% eclipse, it still blew out your camera's image sensor?

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                  I don't see an image. Are you saying that even at 99% eclipse, it still blew out your camera's image sensor?
                  I'll try linking another one. And yes, at least the sliver of sun peaking through blew out that part of the image. The sun is really, really, really, really bright. A 10 stop filter can turn a full sunlight landscape picture completely black. Solar filters are 16 to 18 stops. Each stop is twice as dark.

Last edited by swampfrog; 08-23-2017, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• Also did one in black and white. This one is bigger if you go to the direct link below the image, you can zoom.

Original Facebook image

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                      I'll try linking another one. And yes, at least the sliver of sun peaking through blew out that part of the image. The sun is really, really, really, really bright. A 10 stop filter can turn a full sunlight landscape picture completely black. Solar filters are 16 to 18 stops. Each stop is twice as dark.

That's pretty interesting. To what do you attribute the haze in front of the moon? High clouds? Lens flare? It can't be corona at that point.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                        That's pretty interesting. To what do you attribute the haze in front of the moon? High clouds? Lens flare? It can't be corona at that point.
                        I really have no idea what it is, I was surprised when I started raising the shadows in the image what was revealed there. I expect it must be earth atmosphere/clouds. I have no experience shooting solar events (other than sunset/sunrise where the sun is muted by the amount of atmosphere that it passes through) nor did I purchase a solar filter, so I thought I would just enjoy the experience and just quickly snap a few images for documentation reasons (Hey, I was there!). I was fully expecting to have the typical image of a really bright crescent and nothing else. But when I was looking at it I noticed I had a least a very faint outline around the moon, so I decided to play and see what else I could tease out. The only LR/PS processing was to raise the black levels, shadows, and dark areas while controlling the crescent and then adding noise reduction and some smoothing effects especially in the transition areas. Also raised contrast on the ring of the moon, and darkened the center of the moon a bit.

Comment

• At Cub camp this past weekend:

cubcamp-lake.jpg

Comment

• is this canon glass?

Comment

is this canon glass?
                              Wish I could attach a higher quality image, but had to compress it to death to post it. The image was colour corrected.

I shoot with a Canon 6D and its standard 24-105mm zoom lens.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                                Wish I could attach a higher quality image, but had to compress it to death to post it. The image was colour corrected.

I shoot with a Canon 6D and its standard 24-105mm zoom lens.
                                You can post elsewhere and link it, which is what I try to do most of the time, Flickr, Facebook, Google photos, etc.

It's a great scene with the reflected grasses and sky. Looks like it could be slightly rotated to get the horizon flat, but that may just be the way the edge of the lake/pond bends. I've got to stop editing pictures, now every time I look at something I think what I would change, instead of just enjoying it.

I like Flickr because it's share functionality will auto-generate the code to insert that will link the image in multiple sizes, and allow a reader to click on the image to take them to Flickr to view the full size.

Comment

Working...
                                X