Originally posted by Lost Student
View Post
Originally posted by beefytee
View Post
I agree with this. However, I submitted this picture last year... The rules do request birds in habitat, so it could be the lack of imagery from the refuge itself. Who knows.
Contest rules allow the re-submission on non-winners as many times as you want.
You can only win one prize per year, which for me was a 2nd in landscape last year, so it could be that they felt that was the stronger image--which is fine. But then it was a 2nd place, and the 1st in landscape, while of an iconic tree for the refuge, is a lesser technical photograph than mine. Noisy, has a dust blob just to the right of the tree, and all kinds of color weirdness in the upper left corner. True of some of the other winners also. The rules state that technical quality will be evaluated, but it's clearly not (and I confirmed with the contest sponsor, Pro Photo Supply, that the judging is entirely by the Friends of NWR staff).
All which leads me to believe that having a bunch of naturalists judge a photography contest will likely result in judging from multiple viewpoints which I don't have access to. There's only one prize per category this year, so I went with all in the same category with some having varying looks of habitat inclusion. I would love to have an inside look at the evaluation process and see all of the entrants.






Leave a comment: