Niece has a terrible experience at the U

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Art Vandelay
    Striving for mediocrity
    • Jul 2009
    • 10516

    #1

    Niece has a terrible experience at the U

    I have a niece on athletic scholarship at Utah. She had a frightening experience last week. I think this just as easily could have happened in Provo as SLC, so this isn't a BYU-Utah thing. Stuff like this scares me to death. Here is email my SIL sent, edited to not draw anymore attention to these poor girls:

    Last night at 3:00 am K's roommate ran into her room, switched on the light, and yelled, "K! Get up! Someone's in our house!" Her roommate, C, had woken up to a man caressing her leg. She threw the covers off and onto the man and yelled at him as she backed out of the room. He hid his face, but kept coming towards her and that is when she ran into K's room. He followed C into the hall and hid in the hall closet, which K uses for her clothes. K and C closed K's bedroom door and while their door was closed they think he ran back downstairs and out of the house. The girls thought he was still in the closet, though, so C swung on the doorframe and slammed the closet door shut and took off for the stairs. K then followed and ran like crazy down the stairs. When she was woken up K had the presence of mind to grab her glasses as well as her cell phone. Once outside by the front door K's first reaction was to call a friend in the other part of the house--it is a twin home with five girls on K's side and four on the other. K then called the police. While the police were talking to C to try to get directions to the house--it was confusing for some reason--K and the girl from the other side (M) decided to go downstairs to wake up K's other two roommates who have bedrooms in the basement. K was terrified when she saw their back door wide open. She wasn't sure what they would find in the basement. The two girls downstairs were sleeping but were soon awake.

    When the police arrived they asked several times if everyone was out of the house because they had a dog--a very vicious dog according to K. They entered their side of the house with the dog in front and guns pulled. K said there were about 10 officers in all. The dog was able to track the guy's scent through the backyard and partway up the street, then it disappeared.
  • Teenage Dirtbag
    Since 1971
    • Nov 2008
    • 1096

    #2
    This is why all girls must be taught karate or some other form of self defense. That is terrifying.

    Comment

    • JohnnyLingo
      La Naranja
      • Nov 2008
      • 3976

      #3
      Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View Post
      This is why all girls must be taught karate or some other form of self defense. That is terrifying.
      Or own a gun.

      Comment

      • Clark Addison
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10306

        #4
        I have three daughters. One of my biggest fears is that they will someday run into a scumbag like this when they are alone.

        Comment

        • DU Ute
          RIP CUF
          • Dec 2008
          • 7393

          #5
          I'm curious to see what option your niece will pick in the "Has Lingo Ever Attacked You" poll.

          In all seriousness, that is freaky. It makes me not want to send my daughter off to college. I'm glad your niece is OK.
          "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
          "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
          "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

          Comment

          • il Padrino Ute
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 19161

            #6
            That is frightening as hell. As I've said before, this is why people should own guns and know how to use them.
            "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


            "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

            Comment

            • Mrs. Funk
              Lawyer Wannabe
              • Nov 2008
              • 2690

              #7
              This is terrifying. I would be totally paranoid after having something like that, and likely unable to ever feel safe at home.
              "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

              Comment

              • Art Vandelay
                Striving for mediocrity
                • Jul 2009
                • 10516

                #8
                Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                That is frightening as hell. As I've said before, this is why people should own guns and know how to use them.
                Yes and no. I think having college kids having loaded guns in their apartments or dorms has a much higher potential for catastrophe occurring. Especially if there is any alcohol, drug use, or testosterone fueled boys/men around.

                In one's residence I can see the wisdom of personal protection, even though I personally don't have any guns in my home at this time.

                Sorry for the threadjack... I don't want to turn this into a 2nd amendment discussion, since I'm not real passionate about either side.

                Comment

                • Slim
                  Straight Out the Trailer
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 1007

                  #9
                  Now I'm not a girl, so this is total speculation but this is what I think.

                  If I was a girl I'd probably keep some pepper spray handy at all times. For me, personally, I'd prefer to keep some pepper spray in my night stand than to have a gun handy.

                  I'm all for letting people have their guns, that is their right, but I'd be worried about a pissed off roommate or a pissed off boyfriend or roommate's boyfriend or a curious little kid finding that gun. With the pepper spray I'd feel much better having it in a place with easy access. Who knows how much time you'll have to get to your gun safe when someone breaks into your house.

                  Comment

                  • YOhio
                    Hipster Mode
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 26165

                    #10
                    How horrifying! I'm glad that the guy left before he could cause additional harm, though I wish that dog would have ripped his balls off.

                    Comment

                    • Slim
                      Straight Out the Trailer
                      • Jul 2009
                      • 1007

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                      Yes and no. I think having college kids having loaded guns in their apartments or dorms has a much higher potential for catastrophe occurring. Especially if there is any alcohol, drug use, or testosterone fueled boys/men around.

                      In one's residence I can see the wisdom of personal protection, even though I personally don't have any guns in my home at this time.

                      Sorry for the threadjack... I don't want to turn this into a 2nd amendment discussion, since I'm not real passionate about either side.
                      Beat me to it.

                      Comment

                      • il Padrino Ute
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 19161

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                        Yes and no. I think having college kids having loaded guns in their apartments or dorms has a much higher potential for catastrophe occurring. Especially if there is any alcohol, drug use, or testosterone fueled boys/men around.

                        In one's residence I can see the wisdom of personal protection, even though I personally don't have any guns in my home at this time.

                        Sorry for the threadjack... I don't want to turn this into a 2nd amendment discussion, since I'm not real passionate about either side.
                        Notice I said that people - including students - need to know how to use the guns.
                        "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                        "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                        Comment

                        • Art Vandelay
                          Striving for mediocrity
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 10516

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
                          This is terrifying. I would be totally paranoid after having something like that, and likely unable to ever feel safe at home.
                          Here is a follow-up email,the first one I received last week. It also goes to show there are a few good bishops out there (TIC in reference to my other post in the foyer)

                          I wanted to send a follow-up email telling about the GOOD things that have happened lately. Sunday K's Bishop and a counselor in the Bishopric came over and gave their house a blessing as well as gave a blessing to each of the girls. K says that the feeling there changed dramatically and it really helped bring peace. Her blessing from the Bishop brought her great comfort and she knows all will be well. However, she also knows what a great imagination she has and it is still tough when it gets dark. They have all decided to leave the hall light on at night when they go to sleep as well as leave the outside lights on in the front and back all night. The blinds have been ordered, but it will take a couple weeks so it is scary being in their kitchen (without blinds) when it gets dark outside. Last night the v girls were gone so it was just her and A (her room roommate and teammate). They heard a knock on the door at 10:00 pm and together nervously went to see who it was. (A had pepper spray in hand.) Luckily it was their Bishop who came to check on them and share info about motion detectors he had found online.

                          Comment

                          • Teenage Dirtbag
                            Since 1971
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 1096

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                            Luckily it was their Bishop who came to check on them and share info about motion detectors he had found online.
                            What a good guy.

                            Comment

                            • Gidget
                              Philosophical Goldilocks
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 1312

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                              I have a niece on athletic scholarship at Utah. She had a frightening experience last week. I think this just as easily could have happened in Provo as SLC, so this isn't a BYU-Utah thing. Stuff like this scares me to death. Here is email my SIL sent, edited to not draw anymore attention to these poor girls:

                              Last night at 3:00 am K's roommate ran into her room, switched on the light, and yelled, "K! Get up! Someone's in our house!" Her roommate, C, had woken up to a man caressing her leg. She threw the covers off and onto the man and yelled at him as she backed out of the room. He hid his face, but kept coming towards her and that is when she ran into K's room. He followed C into the hall and hid in the hall closet, which K uses for her clothes. K and C closed K's bedroom door and while their door was closed they think he ran back downstairs and out of the house. The girls thought he was still in the closet, though, so C swung on the doorframe and slammed the closet door shut and took off for the stairs. K then followed and ran like crazy down the stairs. When she was woken up K had the presence of mind to grab her glasses as well as her cell phone. Once outside by the front door K's first reaction was to call a friend in the other part of the house--it is a twin home with five girls on K's side and four on the other. K then called the police. While the police were talking to C to try to get directions to the house--it was confusing for some reason--K and the girl from the other side (M) decided to go downstairs to wake up K's other two roommates who have bedrooms in the basement. K was terrified when she saw their back door wide open. She wasn't sure what they would find in the basement. The two girls downstairs were sleeping but were soon awake.

                              When the police arrived they asked several times if everyone was out of the house because they had a dog--a very vicious dog according to K. They entered their side of the house with the dog in front and guns pulled. K said there were about 10 officers in all. The dog was able to track the guy's scent through the backyard and partway up the street, then it disappeared.
                              Things like this do happen in Provo. When I lived there one of my best friends woke up (in Provo) to strange man standing over her bed masturbating. She screamed and pushed him and kicked him and ran. I guess he didn't put up much of a fight and ran-off. The police were called and took the evidence (her soiled comforter) but I don't think he was ever apprehended. She lived in those tree house apartments in south Provo right off 9th E.
                              I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

                              You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

                              Comment

                              Working...