Does anybody here live in/know Chicago?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pheidippides
    Liberal Feminazi
    • Nov 2008
    • 14759

    #1

    Does anybody here live in/know Chicago?

    I'm scheduled to be there next month and I'm interested to find out of there are any good places to eat or things I should see in a few spare hours. I'm going to be staying somewhere close to Northwestern, if that helps..
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.
  • Mormon Red Death
    BYU Delenda Est
    • Nov 2008
    • 8077

    #2
    Sent you a boardmail.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

    Comment

    • MarkGrace
      Grooveshark dick tease
      • Dec 2008
      • 31546

      #3
      Nik, I expected more out of you.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

      Comment

      • Mormon Red Death
        BYU Delenda Est
        • Nov 2008
        • 8077

        #4
        Originally posted by nikuman View Post
        I'm scheduled to be there next month and I'm interested to find out of there are any good places to eat or things I should see in a few spare hours. I'm going to be staying somewhere close to Northwestern, if that helps..
        Are you staying next to the law school and hospital or at the evanston campus?
        "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

        "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

        Comment

        • All-American
          Right, as Usual
          • Nov 2008
          • 15663

          #5
          Hey, I'm scheduled to be there next month. Small world.
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

          Comment

          • Pheidippides
            Liberal Feminazi
            • Nov 2008
            • 14759

            #6
            Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
            Nik, I expected more out of you.
            Hey, Chicago is virgin territory for me. It is the last majorly huge US city I have not visited.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

            Comment

            • SoCalCoug
              Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
              • Nov 2008
              • 5214

              #7
              I was there on my mission 20 years ago - it's fading a bit from memory.

              I remember Giordano's - you've got to get the stuffed pizza. But my favorite was always the little hot dog stands they have all over the place - including in the suburbs. Great hot dogs.

              I also loved the museums - they were free on our P-days, so we went several times - the Museum of Science & Industry is on the south side, but the museum of natural history is near the loop.
              If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

              "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

              "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

              Comment

              • Mormon Red Death
                BYU Delenda Est
                • Nov 2008
                • 8077

                #8
                Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                I was there on my mission 20 years ago - it's fading a bit from memory.

                I remember Giordano's - you've got to get the stuffed pizza. But my favorite was always the little hot dog stands they have all over the place - including in the suburbs. Great hot dogs.

                I also loved the museums - they were free on our P-days, so we went several times - the Museum of Science & Industry is on the south side, but the museum of natural history is near the loop.
                Art Museum (the one with the farmer and his wife) is real close to where Niku is going to be.
                "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

                "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

                Comment

                • Fiyero
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 5266

                  #9
                  I was there a month ago, there's a thread somewhere about food and such.

                  Comment

                  • falafel
                    loves to talk on things
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 37973

                    #10
                    WAIT!!!! NO ONE CAN POST ANYTHING ABOUT FOOD UNTIL DDD ARRIVES TO GIVE HIS OPINION!
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                    Dig your own grave, and save!

                    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • TripletDaddy
                      sweet triple
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 58186

                      #11
                      Nik, I suggest you go eat some pizza and a hot dog. Also, check out Rick Bayless's place, and time permitting, go to some diners, drive-ins, and dives.

                      Enjoy!
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • falafel
                        loves to talk on things
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 37973

                        #12
                        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        Nik, I suggest you go eat some pizza and a hot dog. Also, check out Rick Bayless's place, and time permitting, go to some diners, drive-ins, and dives.

                        Enjoy!
                        Wow, that's exactly what I would have said. Word for word. Except I would suggested that he catch a ball game.

                        Niku, when are you going to be in Chicago again? I just learned that there's a good chance I'll be there early next week.

                        Edit: I just re-read that you'll be there next month.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                        Dig your own grave, and save!

                        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • TripletDaddy
                          sweet triple
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 58186

                          #13
                          Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          Wow, that's exactly what I would have said. Word for word. Except I would suggested that he catch a ball game.

                          Niku, when are you going to be in Chicago again? I just learned that there's a good chance I'll be there early next week.

                          Edit: I just re-read that you'll be there next month.
                          Yes. Someone of nikuman's taste is definitely looking for the pedestrian stuff. Keep it simple, that sort of thing.
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • Fiyero
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 5266

                            #14
                            That took 2 hours and 55 minutes. Who won the pool?

                            Comment

                            • TripletDaddy
                              sweet triple
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 58186

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
                              That took 2 hours and 55 minutes. Who won the pool?
                              I've been gone since about 9:30, otherwise I would have answered sooner!
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...