X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
    Haiti’s social contract is in default.
    Has it ever not been in default?

Ruled by Spain for ~200 years, then another ~200 years under the Frenchies, then non-stop coups, wars, revolutions, strongmen, criminals/thugs, and everything else since then (including US troops on the ground starting in WWI but they were withdrawn before WWII. Fun fact: Franklin D. Roosevelt wrote a version of the Haitian constitution under US occupation, one of many constitutions over the years.)

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

Has it ever not been in default?

Ruled by Spain for ~200 years, then another ~200 years under the Frenchies, then non-stop coups, wars, revolutions, strongmen, criminals/thugs, and everything else since then (including US troops on the ground starting in WWI but they were withdrawn before WWII. Fun fact: Franklin D. Roosevelt wrote a version of the Haitian constitution under US occupation, one of many constitutions over the years.)
      Not-so-fun fact: After Haiti got their independence and stopped being a slave state, France informed them under threat of naval bombardment and invasion that they owed them (their former slave masters) a fortune for the slave business, etc they lost. USA played a role as well. They never got a fair chance.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-timeline.html
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Not-so-fun fact: After Haiti got their independence and stopped being a slave state, France informed them under threat of naval bombardment and invasion that they owed them (their former slave masters) a fortune for the slave business, etc they lost. USA played a role as well. They never got a fair chance.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-timeline.html
        I remember reading that. Was that something you posted before?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

I think so.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I think so.
            Ahem:

https://www.cougarstadium.com/forum/...35#post2250235
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              There you go!

I have shared that with a few people since. Really sad story.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                Ok, I figured it was shared here. It's crazy to me that we had a hand in that.

Comment

• Re-reading that article makes me very sad, even a little nauseated, although I laughed at the lines: "The Americans forced Haitians to build roads for no pay, and soldiers shot those who tried to escape. Many Haitians saw this as a return to slavery." Would anyone NOT see it that way? These people need a lot of outside assistance to overcome centuries of outside depredation.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    These people need a lot of outside assistance to overcome centuries of outside depredation.
                    I’d hoped the widespread international attention and aid toward Haiti after the earthquake would be the catalyst for that, but it didn’t play out that way.
                    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• If you haven't filed your 2023 tax return or at least an extension, don't worry, there's still a little bit of time remaining. Very little if you're on the East Coast.

https://www.irs.gov/payments
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• 20240420_144941.jpg

I have a new goal.
                        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                          I have a new goal.
                          I love it.

Comment

• I miss the days on this board where you could talk shit about bananas and wuap would immediately be all up in your grill. He really liked bananas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                              20240420_144941.jpg

I have a new goal.
                              Is it learning to ride your motorcycle backwards on the freeway?
                              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                              "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                              "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post

Is it learning to ride your motorcycle backwards on the freeway?
                                That would be one way to get the hair to do that.
                                “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Working...
                                X