Random Thoughts Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post

So you're probably unfamiliar with the word unfractionate as well.
    You would think, but that's actually a word I use quite frequently.

Comment

• The details coming out about the Alec Baldwin shooting are pretty disturbing if true. The latest claim is some of the crew took the guns target shooting the morning before the accident. Setting aside the fact that live rounds shouldn't have been anywhere near the set, how do the armorers allow the guns to be taken for target practice and how do they not check them when they are returned and before every time they are handled?

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
        The details coming out about the Alec Baldwin shooting are pretty disturbing if true. The latest claim is some of the crew took the guns target shooting the morning before the accident. Setting aside the fact that live rounds shouldn't have been anywhere near the set, how do the armorers allow the guns to be taken for target practice and how do they not check them when they are returned and before every time they are handled?
        A rich anti-gun liberal kills someone with a gun. I have to question whether he understood how to handle guns safely. There seems to be a blind spot here.

I've read about how guns should be treated safely in the film industry, and it's really no different than normal gun safety. You never point a prop gun at another person. He was negligent. I think he should be criminally prosecuted. I can't imagine what he's going through. That has to be the worse feeling in the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

A rich anti-gun liberal kills someone with a gun. I have to question whether he understood how to handle guns safely. There seems to be a blind spot here.

I've read about how guns should be treated safely in the film industry, and it's really no different than normal gun safety. You never point a prop gun at another person. He was negligent. I think he should be criminally prosecuted. I can't imagine what he's going through. That has to be the worse feeling in the world.
          Criminally prosecuted? Come on. Clearly an accident.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Criminally prosecuted? Come on. Clearly an accident.
            Just off of what I've read, I don't think this is an accident, but gross negligence. Now, I'm often wrong, but maybe this is one of those two times a day I'm right.

Comment

Just off of what I've read, I don't think this is an accident, but gross negligence. Now, I'm often wrong, but maybe this is one of those two times a day I'm right.
              my thought is that perhaps it was negligence on the part of baldwin the producer (not hiring qualified/experienced people, not having proper protocols and safety procedures in place, etc), but for baldwin the actor, simply a tragic accident.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

my thought is that perhaps it was negligence on the part of baldwin the producer (not hiring qualified/experienced people, not having proper protocols and safety procedures in place, etc), but for baldwin the actor, simply a tragic accident.
                If the safety norm is to not point a prop gun at another person, but he did, how is that not negligent? The norm is that the camera people are in a safe area before the gun comes out, but they weren't. As a producer, it looks like he was cutting corners.

Comment

If the safety norm is to not point a prop gun at another person, but he did, how is that not negligent? The norm is that the camera people are in a safe area before the gun comes out, but they weren't. As a producer, it looks like he was cutting corners.
                  is that the safety norm on a movie set? I don't know. if so, i'd agree with you.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

is that the safety norm on a movie set? I don't know. if so, i'd agree with you.
                    I'm really not sure. That's what I read, so that's what informs my point of view, but I'm no expert.

Comment

I'm really not sure. That's what I read, so that's what informs my point of view, but I'm no expert.
                      I've read several articles that said regular gun safety maxims we all know are to be followed with prop guns. This includes when guns are confirmed to be loaded with blanks because there have been accidents where blanks have killed people on set, most famously Brandon Lee where there was the bullet tip lodged in the barrel from firing a dummy round earlier in production that ended up being fired at Lee when the blank was fired at him. But I also read about a bizzarre incident where a TV actor took a revolver loaded with blanks and spun it Russian roullete style and fired against his temple as a joke. When the blank went off the force of the projectile fractured his skull at close range and he died later. Apparently in addition to never pointing a gun at anyone on set, all personnel are to be at certain distance (20 feet?) away from the muzzle when blanks are fired.

The consensus seems to be Baldwin the producer is negligent and may face criminal charges. The head armorer was only 24 years old and there were numerous safety complaints prior to the accident. This indicates maybe unqualified staff was running the show and required safety procedures were not being followed.

Comment

• I think the Federal Government should be regulating guns on sets of movies, tv shows, etc. Every shoot (pun intended) should be required to have a Federal regulator on sight to ensure safety. Without regulation, how can be be sure this type of incident won't happen again?
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          I think the Federal Government should be regulating guns on sets of movies, tv shows, etc. Every shoot (pun intended) should be required to have a Federal regulator on sight to ensure safety. Without regulation, how can be be sure this type of incident won't happen again?
                          Damn right there should be more Government gun regulation! Welcome to the fold.
                          "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

I love you BD, but your first sentence belies your objectivity. At this point in time we're dealing with 5% facts and 95% internet speculation, and you're on record -- screw a grand jury -- that Alec Baldwin should be criminally prosecuted. I'm guessing you're not an Alec Baldwin fan, are you?
                            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

I love you BD, but your first sentence belies your objectivity. At this point in time we're dealing with 5% facts and 95% internet speculation, and you're on record -- screw a grand jury -- that Alec Baldwin should be criminally prosecuted. I'm guessing you're not an Alec Baldwin fan, are you?
                              Wrong on all counts! Good job! I guess that might speak to my poor communication.

I'm on record as offering an opinion based on what we know so far. Enough has come out for me to think it should go that direction, but I reserve the right to change my mind based on both my fickleness, and this being a message board. I've been on the Alec Baldwin bandwagon since Hunt For Red October. But you see, even as an Alec fan, the facts (as I *know* them) point me to thinking he should be criminally prosecuted--thus my objectivity.

Comment

Wrong on all counts! Good job! I guess that might speak to my poor communication.

I'm on record as offering an opinion based on what we know so far. Enough has come out for me to think it should go that direction, but I reserve the right to change my mind based on both my fickleness, and this being a message board. I've been on the Alec Baldwin bandwagon since Hunt For Red October. But you see, even as an Alec fan, the facts (as I *know* them) point me to thinking he should be criminally prosecuted--thus my objectivity.
                                You're not alone. I have seen far more people opine that charges are likely than that he is in the clear. (As an aside I think Alec Baldwin the actor is extremely talented and I like him in most movies but he is a little unhinged politically and his Trump was boring. But I still feel terrible for him even if he is proven to be negligent as this is clearly a tragedy that he will never be able to fully get over. People like Trump Jr and Candace Owens gleefully pouncing on him are disgusting).

The latest is the search of the set recovered 500 rounds of ammunition including dummy rounds, blanks, and live rounds. It appears very likely that the fatal shot was a live round loaded into the revolver, which I'm not sure has happened on a set before, at least in recent history. The Brandon Lee accident was a weird confluence of an obstruction in the barrel that was propelled by a blank round fired later. This is looking very bad for anyone with any level of responsibility on this project. How are there live rounds floating around the set? How are the guns allowed to be taken for target practice? Just unthinkable even for people who don't know gun safety.
                                Last edited by Omaha 680; 10-27-2021, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X