Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Interestante...

is the first just crime compared to the second which is violent crimes?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Interestante...

I'd like to see a graph of violent crimes under the age of 12. I know it's definitely on the rise at my house.
      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        Stick to English, amigo.

lo siento
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
          I wonder what the definition of violent crime is. I know not everyone agrees on what is a violent crime.

Comment

Interesante...

This is a great example of a crappy "factoid":

- The two graphs are comparing completely different things although they have been sized to the same width, height, and scale.
            - The left graph is a percentage of people saying there is "more crime" although crime is not defined.
            - The right graph is showing violent crimes per 1,000 persons aged 12 and older although "violent crime" is not defined as well.

Note that the conclusion Pew claims in the headline may in fact be accurate; however, their factoids do little to actually warrant that conclusion.

Comment

Not sure why they didn't just graph total crime on the right. Same relationship holds. Dramatic, near-linear decrease.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
              This is a great example of a crappy "factoid":

- The two graphs are comparing completely different things although they have been sized to the same width, height, and scale.
              - The left graph is a percentage of people saying there is "more crime" although crime is not defined.
              - The right graph is showing violent crimes per 1,000 persons aged 12 and older although "violent crime" is not defined as well.

Note that the conclusion Pew claims in the headline may in fact be accurate; however, their factoids do little to actually warrant that conclusion.
              Overreaction.

- You would have to scale the numbers no matter what. Two different sets of values.
              - Does it really matter how you define it? Do you think the average person would have answered differently? Also, see my response to creekster. Same relationship
              - You really need someone to define violent crime?

The point is simple. People often have incorrect perceptions about the state of the world.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Not sure why they didn't just graph total crime on the right. Same relationship holds. Dramatic, near-linear decrease.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

The point is simple. People often have incorrect perceptions about the state of the world.

so i guess we can thank the graying baby boomers for the decrease.

I seem to recall reading once that the public's perception of crime related to their personal feelings of security which was based in economic security as much as anything. if you are on edge about losing your job or you cant make ends meet then you tend to think the whole world is falling apart.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

so i guess we can thank the graying baby boomers for the decrease.

I seem to recall reading once that the public's perception of crime related to their personal feelings of security which was based in economic security as much as anything. if you are on edge about losing your job or you cant make ends meet then you tend to think the whole world is falling apart.
                  That makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    Stick to English, amigo.
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    lo siento
                    ¿Cómo se dice "double down"?
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                      ¿Cómo se dice "double down"?
                      Doblar

Comment

Doblar
                        Shouldn't it be doblar down?
                        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Doblar
                          heh
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

• If you're not going to be pro-choice, here is a rational pro-life position from Mia Love:

Here is a rational perspective from Mia Love:

"If we are going to be pro-life, we need to be able to give people as much access to birth control as possible," Love said.

By allowing birth control to be sold over the counter, its price would be reduced from $30 a month to $3 a month because it would 'bypass' pharmacy fees, she said.

"This is my way of empowering American women and making sure they are in charge of their decision-making," Love said.
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                              If you're not going to be pro-choice, here is a rational pro-life position from Mia Love:
                              Mia Love should switch parties... and become an Libertarian.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Vexed by a few mundane issues, this morning I went on a great hike along the ridge above our house. It's almost stunningly beautiful up there right now with the dense green grass and trees, and no noise other than the breeze and a few flocks of birds overhead. As if on cue, over my headphones came the following poem (Wild Geese) by Mary Oliver:

You do not have to be good.
                                You do not have to walk on your knees
                                for a hundred miles through the desert repenting.
                                You only have to let the soft animal of your body
                                love what it loves.
                                Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
                                Meanwhile the world goes on.
                                Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
                                are moving across the landscapes,
                                over the prairies and the deep trees,
                                the mountains and the rivers.
                                Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
                                are heading home again.
                                Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
                                the world offers itself to your imagination,
                                calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting -
                                over and over announcing your place
                                in the family of things.

Feel free to mock my sappiness, but it was a powerfully touching moment, and made for a nice morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X