No announcement yet.

Would you survive a bear attack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, because I carry bear spray when I’m in those places.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

That's a scary story. Animal behavior professor eh? Does that make him more or less qualified?
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        My wife’s uncle used to do a lot of back country fishing in BC. He carried bear mace on one hip and a pistol on the other. I don’t know if he ever had a bear encounter. But I’m not sure I’d trust my aim (with mace or gun) in an encounter with an angry bear.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

Yeah I'd die.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Don't miss!

Comment

I once had an encounter in bear country.

We took off for the Haunted Mansion and ended having dinner at the Blue Bayou.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Would you survive a bear attack?

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                I once had an encounter in bear country.

We took off for the Haunted Mansion and ended having dinner at the Blue Bayou.
                LOL. Smart choice foregoing the Hungry Bear Restaurant. I remember setting myself up for failure by verbalizing the thought, “it’s not like they can screw up a burger.”

If my one close encounter with a bear is any indication, I’ll have the most embarrassing mauling story in history. In 2005, I spent my summer in Eastern Oregon doing bull trout research for Utah State. One of my last days in the field, I was wrapping up some unfinished snorkel surveys on a different river above Pendleton.

I had just finished surveying the stretch of river, and had tucked behind a stand of willows to strip out of my wetsuit and get dressed. I had just managed to drop the wetsuit around my ankles when I heard a bit of commotion in the stream, ten feet behind me. The sound had me curious, but I was only about a 1/4 mile upstream from a camp ground, so I assumed that there was a fly fisherman making their way upstream.

As the sound got closer, I decided there was value in verifying, so shuffled my way, stark naked wearing only a heap of black neoprene shackles around my ankles. When I peaked around the willows, there was a black bear on the far bank, making it’s way upstream and pulling large chunks of mossy bank into the stream, looking for grubs. 60 feet away and oblivious. The bear gets about 15 feet closer and the anxiety suddenly jumps from a 7 to an 11. Apparently, in one of the shelves that the bear had just pulled down, lived a hive of paper wasps.

Disturbed and agitated, the wasps seem to head straight at the bear’s face, rising it up on its back legs and shaking its head violently. After a couple of seconds of unsuccessful swatting, the bear let out a bit of a scream (could have been me as I turned and retreated inland in six inch bursts), plopped back down to four and bolted up and across the stream. We were maybe 15 feet apart (and yet I think I still managed to save that bear of its innocence) and despite a sliver of PTSD every time I get to that already awkward moment of removing a wetsuit, (even in a bathroom in the middle of the Mojave) I managed to escape unscathed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                  LOL. Smart choice foregoing the Hungry Bear Restaurant. I remember setting myself up for failure by verbalizing the thought, “it’s not like they can screw up a burger.”

If my one close encounter with a bear is any indication, I’ll have the most embarrassing mauling story in history. In 2005, I spent my summer in Eastern Oregon doing bull trout research for Utah State. One of my last days in the field, I was wrapping up some unfinished snorkel surveys on a different river above Pendleton.

I had just finished surveying the stretch of river, and had tucked behind a stand of willows to strip out of my wetsuit and get dressed. I had just managed to drop the wetsuit around my ankles when I heard a bit of commotion in the stream, ten feet behind me. The sound had me curious, but I was only about a 1/4 mile upstream from a camp ground, so I assumed that there was a fly fisherman making their way upstream.

As the sound got closer, I decided there was value in verifying, so shuffled my way, stark naked wearing only a heap of black neoprene shackles around my ankles. When I peaked around the willows, there was a black bear on the far bank, making it’s way upstream and pulling large chunks of mossy bank into the stream, looking for grubs. 60 feet away and oblivious. The bear gets about 15 feet closer and the anxiety suddenly jumps from a 7 to an 11. Apparently, in one of the shelves that the bear had just pulled down, lived a hive of paper wasps.

Disturbed and agitated, the wasps seem to head straight at the bear’s face, rising it up on its back legs and shaking its head violently. After a couple of seconds of unsuccessful swatting, the bear let out a bit of a scream (could have been me as I turned and retreated inland in six inch bursts), plopped back down to four and bolted up and across the stream. We were maybe 15 feet apart (and yet I think I still managed to save that bear of its innocence) and despite a sliver of PTSD every time I get to that already awkward moment of removing a wetsuit, (even in a bathroom in the middle of the Mojave) I managed to escape unscathed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Dang... your story was ten times better than mine.

Although I did get the Monte Cristo.

Last edited by clackamascoug; 05-26-2019, 07:40 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                  -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Ha, good story Dwight.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                      No.
                      Huh?

Back in the day you were the king of bear spray.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

That’s a great story, Dwight.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                        X