Take a Vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
    I have to believe it was a joke. Not a funny one, but a joke. The only thing that gives me pause is that this is not my mom's sense of humor at all. She'd flip out if I did something like this to her. And I doubt its my siblings' work. They are not dying to go on any vacation with me (pun intended).

Also annoying is that I've called every member of my family just to confirm the dumb joke, and not a single one answered or has called me back.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
      I like your mom.
      I typed the same thing but didn't post it since it sounded creepy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I like your mom.
          Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          I typed the same thing but didn't post it since it sounded creepy.
          I'll mark you both down as mother-lovers.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
            Who can tell me about Thailand? I'll need to SCUBA dive a couple of times and probably want to do the Phucket thing. What else should I be doing?
            Thailand is amazing. Phuket is pretty touristed out-- if you must, go there just long enough to get a boat out to Koh Phi Phi for your pristine beach fix. Bangkok has really cleaned up its act in the last 10 years and is a pretty fun base of operations, but most people will tell you to just hit Chiang Mai, enjoy the food, and rent scooters or motorbikes for little day trips.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• We are havin a great time soaking in the glorious sun in Southern California after a long and dreary winter in the EUG. Not excited about the drive home in a couple of days though.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

The lawyers at my company all angle to go to Calgary in the summer so we can take a long weekend to Banff. So far, I have only gone in January.
                Great place in the summer. Even better in the winter. You're a lucky man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                  Thailand is amazing. Phuket is pretty touristed out-- if you must, go there just long enough to get a boat out to Koh Phi Phi for your pristine beach fix. Bangkok has really cleaned up its act in the last 10 years and is a pretty fun base of operations, but most people will tell you to just hit Chiang Mai, enjoy the food, and rent scooters or motorbikes for little day trips.
                  Great advice. Thanks!

Comment

Thinking of heading north to Banff this summer. Maybe July or early August. Anyone been there?
                    So much to do in Banff. You will love it.

Lake Louise is a must. Bring your hiking shoes and bear spray, and hike to Lake Agnes, and grab a snack at the Tea House. If you are in shape, continue to the other end of Lake Agnes and then hike up the Big Beehive. You can't beat the view of Lake Louise from up there, but it is a steep trail. You can then hike down the other side and end up on the far end of Lake Louise, and either head back on a nice flat stroll, or if you still have energy, hike up to view the Plain of Six Glaciers. At the junction, my dad headed back, and my brother and I sent up to see the glaciers. On the way, a Japanese tourist asked me to take his picture with the glaciers in the background. Just as I took the picture, a huge chunk of ice fell off the glacier. I heard it more than saw it, but that Japanese tourist got one of the coolest vacation pictures ever.

Allow some time to drive over to Moraine Lake as on your way back to Banff.

We rented a condo through VRBO that was very nice, and very reasonable. It was near the train tracks, which might have contributed to it. Only one train went by at night while we were there. This was in July about 5 years ago, before Airbnb was a big thing, so it might have changed.

We didn't spend a lot of time in Banff proper, but I read about a few hikes and activities that I would have liked to do. I also would have liked to take a day trip up to Jasper on the Ice Field parkway. It's about a 3.5 hour drive each way, but it's probably one of the most scenic roads in the world. We were on motorcycles, and after riding 3 days up, and looking at a 3 day ride back, I couldn't convince my dad and brother to spend day of sitting on their motorcycle seats for 7 hours, no matter the destination or scenery.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post

Lake Louise is a must. Bring your hiking shoes and bear spray, and hike to Lake Agnes, and grab a snack at the Tea House. If you are in shape, continue to the other end of Lake Agnes and then hike up the Big Beehive. You can't beat the view of Lake Louise from up there, but it is a steep trail. You can then hike down the other side and end up on the far end of Lake Louise, and either head back on a nice flat stroll, or if you still have energy, hike up to view the Plain of Six Glaciers. At the junction, my dad headed back, and my brother and I sent up to see the glaciers. On the way, a Japanese tourist asked me to take his picture with the glaciers in the background. Just as I took the picture, a huge chunk of ice fell off the glacier. I heard it more than saw it, but that Japanese tourist got one of the coolest vacation pictures ever.

Allow some time to drive over to Moraine Lake as on your way back to Banff.

We rented a condo through VRBO that was very nice, and very reasonable. It was near the train tracks, which might have contributed to it. Only one train went by at night while we were there. This was in July about 5 years ago, before Airbnb was a big thing, so it might have changed.

We didn't spend a lot of time in Banff proper, but I read about a few hikes and activities that I would have liked to do. I also would have liked to take a day trip up to Jasper on the Ice Field parkway. It's about a 3.5 hour drive each way, but it's probably one of the most scenic roads in the world. We were on motorcycles, and after riding 3 days up, and looking at a 3 day ride back, I couldn't convince my dad and brother to spend day of sitting on their motorcycle seats for 7 hours, no matter the destination or scenery.
                      Very helpful. Thanks.

My wife and I love to hike. We do it almost every day in the hills above our house so we would love to do some hikes.

What time of year did you go?
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Dude reunion weekend in Chicago in May. Good things to do and eat? Gonna hit up Cubs Yankees and hoping for a Blackhawks playoff game...

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                          Dude reunion weekend in Chicago in May. Good things to do and eat? Gonna hit up Cubs Yankees and hoping for a Blackhawks playoff game...
                          I try and hit Gene & Georgetti when I'm there.
                          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

I hope these links to Google Photos work. I loved it so much, my wife and I went back two years ago.

Expect rain while you are there, the mountains make their own weather. Usually not heavy rain, just be prepared to deal with drizzle.

I had forgotten, but we actually stayed in Canmore, not Banff. It's about 20 minutes from Banff.

Moraine Lake's water is more clear, and the mountains around it are more rugged. It's different enough from Lake Louise that it is worth the time to stop by.

https://goo.gl/photos/9GHfoBtJZp3kiZ7U7

Comment

Very helpful. Thanks.

My wife and I love to hike. We do it almost every day in the hills above our house so we would love to do some hikes.

What time of year did you go?
                              The first trip was in July. My wife and I went back a couple of years later in September, and got snowed on hiking around Lake Louise.

Comment

I hope these links to Google Photos work. I loved it so much, my wife and I went back two years ago.

Expect rain while you are there, the mountains make their own weather. Usually not heavy rain, just be prepared to deal with drizzle.

I had forgotten, but we actually stayed in Canmore, not Banff. It's about 20 minutes from Banff.

Moraine Lake's water is more clear, and the mountains around it are more rugged. It's different enough from Lake Louise that it is worth the time to stop by.

https://goo.gl/photos/9GHfoBtJZp3kiZ7U7
                                Wow! Those pictures are incredible.

Comment

Working...
                                X