Levin's new project

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • HuskyFreeNorthwest
    Time to camp
    • Nov 2008
    • 26082

    #121
    I'm happiest at a craps table when the shooter has hit a 4 or 10 for the 4th or more time.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

    Comment

    • Non Sequitur
      Where did I put my bodkin
      • Nov 2008
      • 5773

      #122
      Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      I'm happiest at a craps table when the shooter has hit a 4 or 10 for the 4th or more time.
      Vegas loves you.
      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

      Comment

      • HuskyFreeNorthwest
        Time to camp
        • Nov 2008
        • 26082

        #123
        Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
        Vegas loves you.
        It's mutual.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

        Comment

        • UVACoug
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2013
          • 2685

          #124
          Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
          Why don't you just try taking 1 year off? Enjoy your Sundays. Or do something real (e.g., help the homeless on Sundays instead of sitting in church for 3 hours).

          I think time spent in Church is pretty much a complete waste. I have found that there is absolutely no comparison between doing productive, life-changing things and wasting time in Church meetings.

          For me, a major turning poing was back in residency when people at Church were trying to reactivate me while I was missing meetings mostly just because of work obligations. Pretty much no one seemed to accept the explanation that I had to work most Sundays. (It was bizarre. But most of the LDS residents in the ward had specialties where they didn't have to work very many Sundays.)

          It made me think about where I would rather be and what had more meaning, and honestly--there was absolutely no comparison between helping sick people and attending church meetings. It wasn't even close. It also made me realize that there are a million genuinely productive things that can be done on Sunday instead of participating in discussions about mythology for hours on end.

          I know that the Church organizes service projects, etc. But in reality, the Church spends only a tiny fraction of its money on welfare and charity. Generally, I consider Church meetings, temple worship, and most other activities to be silly community distractions from the real world rather than genuine solutions to life's problems.

          The amount of human effort that is wasted in religion is completely mind boggling. If humanity spent 1/10th that money and time effort in pursuit of real things, the entire world would be a remarkably better place.

          Leaving the Church has been a liberating experience for both me and my wife. I highly recommend it. That said, I know it's hard to leave if the entire family isn't on board.
          Sooner makes a good point here. If he hadn't left the Church, there is no way he would have enough time to do all the great things that he does with his life now ... such as post the lengthy, and insightful, diatribes that he posts on this board (such as the one above). I know my life would not be nearly as rich as it is if Sooner's church attendance kept him from spending hours every week on CS. Thank you, Sooner.

          Comment

          • old_gregg
            scaly man fish
            • Nov 2009
            • 16915

            #125
            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            Earlier in the thread someone made a reference to "withholding" a degree when someone has lost faith or left the Church. That seems like a totally different issue than the one being discussed. Is BYU actually withholding degrees or the transferring of credits if someone leaves the Church? That seems pretty egregious but also hard to believe.
            haven't read this thread so i'm not sure if anybody posted this, but the honor code explicitly says:

            Students who are not in good Honor Code standing are not eligible for graduation, even if they have otherwise completed all necessary coursework.
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

            Comment

            • All-American
              Right, as Usual
              • Nov 2008
              • 15680

              #126
              Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
              haven't read this thread so i'm not sure if anybody posted this, but the honor code explicitly says:
              So jimmy Mac was HC compliant? Awesome.
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

              Comment

              • Moliere
                One man.....one pie
                • Oct 2009
                • 27898

                #127
                Originally posted by All-American View Post
                So jimmy Mac was HC compliant? Awesome.
                As far as he can remember...
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                Comment

                • clackamascoug
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 9709

                  #128
                  Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  As far as he can remember...
                  ... and I'm insensitive?
                  Last edited by clackamascoug; 03-22-2015, 01:28 PM.

                  Comment

                  • wuapinmon
                    Soul Plumber
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 30711

                    #129
                    Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    I'm happiest at a craps table when the shooter has hit a 4 or 10 for the 4th or more time.
                    "HELL YEAH, I'LL PRESS IT"
                    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69751

                      #130
                      ABA drops discrimination complaint against BYU law school

                      Interesting...



                      Tried to find an earlier thread on this but failed. Seems like we talked about it.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • SCcoug
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 7625

                        #131
                        I'm really proud of Levin for spearheading this. BYU graduates complain to accrediting board over school’s treatment of lapsed-Mormon students http://www.sltrib.com/news/2288397-155/byu-graduates-complain-to-accrediting-board Levin says the policy violates the accrediting board's standard that students are free to

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69751

                          #132
                          Merged. Thanks.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          Working...