Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Cool-looking bird, Wuap.
    Mrs. NWC has become a little obsessed with birds. She got 3 different bird feeders. We're seeing birds, but true to our local environment their colors are more muted than yours.
    I don't know. Yall can get a Varied Thrush up there, which is pretty badass.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• We get Western Tanagers during the spring at my house. They are pretty.

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        Perhaps North America's most beautiful passerine.

Pretty sure that bird just flew through one of those "Color Run" events where they throw colored chalk all over the participants.

Comment

• That's a gorgeous bird, Wuap. The desert southwest isn't known for brightly colored wildlife, but we do have some pretty birds that move through. Some of my favorites are summer tanagers, blue grosbeaks, Lazuli buntings, and the rare wood duck or Bullock's oriole. When I get to go a bit further north, a bright vermillion flycatcher is tough to beat.

One piece of excitement we've had around here is the recent detection of a Yuma ridgway's rail (formally called a clapper rail). We've been managing a wetlands mitigation area for the county for about six years now. The contractor that installed them, didn't build them to spec and there have been issues with managing the hydrology. We've finally been able to address most of those. So it's been pretty exciting that for the first time in the 15 years we've been conducting rail surveys, we had our first detection shortly after being able to control the water levels. Then over the weekend, someone posted to ebird that they verified at least two individuals. I'm sure that the engineers aren't thrilled but our group of biologists sure are.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S36641997

Wuap, I just noticed your invite to go out while you move through the southwest this summer. If you find yourself in Vegas, let me know and we'll try and put together an early morning meet up. Donut has been begging to go out for awhile, so maybe we'll let him tag along. This birding site gives a decent synopsis of the area I work. http://www.birdandhike.com/Bird/Urba.../_Wetlands.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• I'll look out for that one.
            Our frequent fliers are starlings (tons of them), scrub Jays, robins, woodpeckers, doves, and house finches. Mrs NWC also bought a quail feeder but we haven't seen those yet at our house.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
              That's a gorgeous bird, Wuap. The desert southwest isn't known for brightly colored wildlife, but we do have some pretty birds that move through. Some of my favorites are summer tanagers, blue grosbeaks, Lazuli buntings, and the rare wood duck or Bullock's oriole. When I get to go a bit further north, a bright vermillion flycatcher is tough to beat.

One piece of excitement we've had around here is the recent detection of a Yuma ridgway's rail (formally called a clapper rail). We've been managing a wetlands mitigation area for the county for about six years now. The contractor that installed them, didn't build them to spec and there have been issues with managing the hydrology. We've finally been able to address most of those. So it's been pretty exciting that for the first time in the 15 years we've been conducting rail surveys, we had our first detection shortly after being able to control the water levels. Then over the weekend, someone posted to ebird that they verified at least two individuals. I'm sure that the engineers aren't thrilled but our group of biologists sure are.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S36641997

Wuap, I just noticed your invite to go out while you move through the southwest this summer. If you find yourself in Vegas, let me know and we'll try and put together an early morning meet up. Donut has been begging to go out for awhile, so maybe we'll let him tag along. This birding site gives a decent synopsis of the area I work. http://www.birdandhike.com/Bird/Urba.../_Wetlands.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I'm going to be in San Jorge for 2 weeks. I'll make a trip down to Vegas to go birding with yall.
              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Ravens in San Juan County

Not colorful, but I love catching them in flight.
                “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Ravens are cool. They have them 100 miles from here, yet they never come this way....you go to any parking lot west of Vegas, and they are like pigeons. I love birds.

I'll be in St. George from June 21st - July 6th for anyone who wants to go birding together. I'm thinking of hitting Lytle Ranch at least once.

Comment

• I really have no business posting in this or in the photography thread since I'm a rank amateur in both areas and have only a modest mirrorless camera, but we spent the today on Skellig Michael and it was one of the best vacation experiences of our lives. In addition to breathtaking views of the island itself and the Sixth Century monastery, the island has thousands of fascinating birds, including my favorites, Puffins! My wife's the photographer with excellent equipment, but she's not going to work on her pics until later.
                    Puffing.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                      I really have no business posting in this or in the photography thread since I'm a rank amateur in both areas and have only a modest mirrorless camera, but we spent the today on Skellig Michael and it was one of the best vacation experiences of our lives. In addition to breathtaking views of the island itself and the Sixth Century monastery, the island has thousands of fascinating birds, including my favorites, Puffins! My wife's the photographer with excellent equipment, but she's not going to work on her pics until later.
                      [ATTACH]7977[/ATTACH]
                      Puffins are very cool and very welcome here. Isn't it odd how much smaller they are than how you had imagined them?

Comment

Puffins are very cool and very welcome here. Isn't it odd how much smaller they are than how you had imagined them?
                        My BIL had some while in Iceland. Said they tasted alright.

Comment

Yes, we were surprised but that only added to their adorableness. Due to demands placed upon us by the grandkids, we're trying to find a way to fit a few in our luggage.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            I really have no business posting in this or in the photography thread since I'm a rank amateur in both areas and have only a modest mirrorless camera, but we spent the today on Skellig Michael and it was one of the best vacation experiences of our lives. In addition to breathtaking views of the island itself and the Sixth Century monastery, the island has thousands of fascinating birds, including my favorites, Puffins! My wife's the photographer with excellent equipment, but she's not going to work on her pics until later.
                            [ATTACH]7977[/ATTACH]
                            Nice. Looking forward to more. And I apologize for any contribution I have made to people not posting in the photography thread. It's original intent seems to have been lost if the OP feels uncomfortable sharing. I will refrain from posting as many images as in the past.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                              Nice. Looking forward to more. And I apologize for any contribution I have made to people not posting in the photography thread. It's original intent seems to have been lost if the OP feels uncomfortable sharing. I will refrain from posting as many images as in the past.
                              No, you won't. Post tons of images. I learn from you. Don't cut back. Post even more.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                                Good grief. Crazy talk. Post more, not less.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X