Originally posted by Uncle Ted
View Post
Provo's Epic Announcement
Collapse
X
-
That's why Google is offering such low prices for their superior internet service.
-
I find this interesting, so the federal government shouldn't have developed the interstate highway system, not because of the economic development and return it has brought, but because some people drink and drive?Originally posted by Uncle Ted View PostFor $1 Provo is handing over the keys to their internet monopoly to a company that will invade their citizen's privacy and flood their screens with ads all while claiming they "do no evil". Each and every household in Provo will still be paying $116 per year, on average, in taxes for the next 12 years for a fiber network that google will own.
On the positive side, the good citizens of Provo will most likely finally get enough internet bandwidth to support their porn appetite.
As far as returns on investment, consider that the numbers for railroads for the US are the same - pretty much given to the private sector which in turn made huge profits. Perhaps the better example is the internet - how much of the US economy has been built, developed because the US government developed what became the internet? How many trillions of dollars? Seems like a pretty nice return on the millions the US government spent to develop it. Isn't infrastructure a proper role for government (local, state, national) whether it be roads, water, electrical, fiber? Obviously it can be done poorly but can't it also end up being a good thing?
In this case, no way Google Fiber goes to Provo without IProvo. I suspect the city with have a very nice return on investment with the economic development which will occur.Tell Graham to see. And tell Merrill to swing away.
Comment
-
Before yesterday, iProvo was arguably a shaky investment. Yesterday it turned into a grand slam.Originally posted by VirginiaCougar View PostI find this interesting, so the federal government shouldn't have developed the interstate highway system, not because of the economic development and return it has brought, but because some people drink and drive?
As far as returns on investment, consider that the numbers for railroads for the US are the same - pretty much given to the private sector which in turn made huge profits. Perhaps the better example is the internet - how much of the US economy has been built, developed because the US government developed what became the internet? How many trillions of dollars? Seems like a pretty nice return on the millions the US government spent to develop it. Isn't infrastructure a proper role for government (local, state, national) whether it be roads, water, electrical, fiber? Obviously it can be done poorly but can't it also end up being a good thing?
In this case, no way Google Fiber goes to Provo without IProvo. I suspect the city with have a very nice return on investment with the economic development which will occur."There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
Comment
-
This is very different from railroads. Contrary from what Obama may way say the government didn't build the railroad. The government did help in the building the railroads by granting right-of-way and land. The government also helped with loans. In the end the individual railroads are the ones that built the railroads and profited.Originally posted by VirginiaCougar View PostI find this interesting, so the federal government shouldn't have developed the interstate highway system, not because of the economic development and return it has brought, but because some people drink and drive?
As far as returns on investment, consider that the numbers for railroads for the US are the same - pretty much given to the private sector which in turn made huge profits. Perhaps the better example is the internet - how much of the US economy has been built, developed because the US government developed what became the internet? How many trillions of dollars? Seems like a pretty nice return on the millions the US government spent to develop it. Isn't infrastructure a proper role for government (local, state, national) whether it be roads, water, electrical, fiber? Obviously it can be done poorly but can't it also end up being a good thing?
In this case, no way Google Fiber goes to Provo without IProvo. I suspect the city with have a very nice return on investment with the economic development which will occur.
As for the government or Al Gore building the internet that didn't happen either. It is true the government funded much of the early research but it was the internet companies that built the internet as we know it today. The government does deserve a lot the credit for funding a lot of the R&D work.
With the case of iProvo the government should have been providing the right-of-way. They should have using the funding for making it easier for companies (not just one company) to bring connectivity to people's homes. For example, installing the conduit. What Provo is doing instead is crony capitalism. Google is the only company that will be benefiting from the tax payer's investment. Other companies, including like Utah's own home grown XMission, are getting shafted. They don't get any access to that $39mm dollar fiber plant but now have to compete with google.
There is no comparison between this and the railroads.
Yes, most likely a grand slam for google. From what I understand they will provide some free internet for the first seven years. It most likely won't even be their premium service that will most likely never be upgraded. After seven years google will have driven out of the competition and the good people of Provo will be screwed. Without competition google is free to be evil.Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View PostBefore yesterday, iProvo was arguably a shaky investment. Yesterday it turned into a grand slam.
The good news is that provo city will be getting out of the ISP business they should have never been in to begin with.
Edit: I wouldn't be surprised that this action by provo city doesn't spawn some lawsuits. Did Provo City offer the same deal that google is getting to other companies, for example?Last edited by Uncle Ted; 04-18-2013, 09:43 AM."If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
"Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
Comment
-
My hope is that Google Fiber is the shot across the bow that snaps the various local broadband quasi-monopolies to get their shit together and start offering better service at better speeds. If that requires Google to drive out the competition in a handful of cities before Comcast/CenturyLink/et al sober up, so be it.
Comment
-
The good people of KC are getting the same free internet from google for a one time fee of $300. The people of provo will be paying $1392 ($116 x 12 years, on average) for their "free" 5Mbps internet, from what I understand.Originally posted by Indy Coug View PostThat's why Google is offering such low prices for their superior internet service.
Edit: Oops, I forgot to add in that $30 hookup fee so make that $1422 for "free" internet.
I get truly free internet every time I go to Mickey D's.Last edited by Uncle Ted; 04-18-2013, 09:52 AM."If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
"Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
Comment
-
1. There's a lot fewer people to spread that cost across.Originally posted by Uncle Ted View PostThe good people of KC are getting the same free internet from google for a one time fee of $300. The people of provo will be paying $1392 ($116 x 12 years, on average) for their "free" 5Mbps internet, from what I understand.
2. That's the premium Provo pays to be one of the big boys, rather than some glorified college town.
3. With huge Mormon families, the per capita cost is the same.
Comment
-
Didn't you just note quite a few similarities?Originally posted by Uncle Ted View PostThis is very different from railroads. Contrary from what Obama may way say the government didn't build the railroad. The government did help in the building the railroads by granting right-of-way and land. The government also helped with loans. In the end the individual railroads are the ones that built the railroads and profited.
As for the government or Al Gore building the internet that didn't happen either. It is true the government funded much of the early research but it was the internet companies that built the internet as we know it today. The government does deserve a lot the credit for funding a lot of the R&D work.
With the case of iProvo the government should have been providing the right-of-way. They should have using the funding for making it easier for companies (not just one company) to bring connectivity to people's homes. For example, installing the conduit. What Provo is doing instead is crony capitalism. Google is the only company that will be benefiting from the tax payer's investment. Other companies, including like Utah's own home grown XMission, are getting shafted. They don't get any access to that $39mm dollar fiber plant but now have to compete with google.
There is no comparison between this and the railroads.
Yes, most likely a grand slam for google. From what I understand they will provide some free internet for the first seven years. It most likely won't even be their premium service that will most likely never be upgraded. After seven years google will have driven out of the competition and the good people of Provo will be screwed. Without competition google is free to be evil.
The good news is that provo city will be getting out of the ISP business they should have never been in to begin with.
Edit: I wouldn't be surprised that this action by provo city doesn't spawn some lawsuits. Did Provo City offer the same deal that google is getting to other companies, for example?Tell Graham to see. And tell Merrill to swing away.
Comment
-
I don't recall the government building the railroad and selling it to one company for a $1.Originally posted by VirginiaCougar View PostDidn't you just note quite a few similarities?"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
"Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
Comment
-
Yes, you should. Now the Stadium of Fire has to play second fiddle to google fiber. It's gooder than others, you know.Originally posted by pelagius View PostI think I will move to Provo.Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
God forgives many things for an act of mercyAlessandro Manzoni
Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.
pelagius
Comment
-
I am just trying keep Lebowski from doing something crazy over this announcement, like taking his life savings and putting it in some startup internet company.Originally posted by Shaka View PostMr. Nugent you are a killjoy.
I politely request that you pin on your raccoon tail and loin cloth and go kill yourself something to eat!"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
"Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
Comment
-
lol. What kind of fool would do that?!?Originally posted by Uncle Ted View PostI am just trying keep Lebowski from doing something crazy over this announcement, like taking his life savings and putting it in some startup internet company."There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
Comment
and
to UTOPIA.
Comment