Trick or Treaters?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • clackamascoug
    Banned
    • Dec 2009
    • 9709

    #196
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

    Crazy sabbath honoring - maskless weirdos!
    FIFY.

    Comment

    • Moliere
      One man.....one pie
      • Oct 2009
      • 27898

      #197
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

      Crazy sabbath-honoring weirdos!
      I’m not so sure trick or treating is breaking the sabbath. I mean, if we had to pay for the candy then maybe it would be but it’s pretty much like borrowing a cup of sugar from your neighbor
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

      Comment

      • BigPiney
        Huge Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 12382

        #198
        Originally posted by Moliere View Post

        I’m not so sure trick or treating is breaking the sabbath. I mean, if we had to pay for the candy then maybe it would be but it’s pretty much like borrowing a cup of sugar from your neighbor
        My kids go trick or treating on sundays. It shows our neighbors we aren't weirdos and it is a fun family event. Win win.

        Comment

        • Scott R Nelson
          UofU/BYU mixed marriage
          • Apr 2010
          • 1508

          #199
          Last year I set out a sign: "Closed due to Covid" and didn't give away anything. This year we'll be in Utah the whole weekend so we'll just leave the place dark and hope none of the younger generation understand the original meaning of the "trick" part of trick or treat.

          This way there is no Halloween candy around to tempt me to eat it.

          I guess I'm the equivalent of "bah, humbug" for Halloween.

          Comment

          • BigPiney
            Huge Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 12382

            #200
            You are a grinch

            Comment

            • Clark Addison
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10316

              #201
              Here is my big complaint about trick or treating in my neighborhood. I have probably posted the same thing for the last three years since I am a grumpy and forgetful old man.

              My kids are no longer young enough that I take them out, but I like trick or treaters. I enjoy sitting on my couch watching football, and then answering the door to see all the cute kids, and joking around with them and giving them candy. It's a lot of fun. But a few years ago, some of the idiots in my neighborhood decided that it was too much work for the kids to walk all the up to the door and ring the bell, so they decided to put a chair at the bottom of the driveway, sit with a bucket of candy, and hand it out as kids walk by.

              I get WAY more upset about this than I should (ask my wife, she will confirm).

              1. Why on earth would I give up my comfortable seat on my couch, with my TV in front of me, and go sit in a folding chair in the cold? Is there a good reason to subject myself to this? No, there is absolutely no reason.
              2. Do we really need to make it easier for the kids to pile candy in their bag? Were they not getting enough candy before, so that we need to allow them to just walk down the street scooping up candy every few steps? For the record, the average lot in our neighborhood is 1/4 to 1/3 an acre. These kids are not walking a hundred yards between houses.
              3. Maybe I could get on board if we were actually improving things for the kids, but we aren't. The fun of trick or treating is running up to a house, ringing the bell, waiting for them to answer. It's the journey and the anticipation. What my neighborhood has done is to turn it into the equivalent of walking down the Walmart candy aisle with a shovel. So we have diminished the experience for BOTH the parents and the children.

              Needless to say, I refuse to participate. As a result, a lot of kids skip our house, as they see a bunch of neighbors out in their driveway and assume we are not home, or maybe just don't want to walk the extra 20 steps up to our door. I think I speak without hyperbole when I say that this practice is a symbol of the decay and decline of our civilization.

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69749

                #202
                Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                Here is my big complaint about trick or treating in my neighborhood. I have probably posted the same thing for the last three years since I am a grumpy and forgetful old man.

                My kids are no longer young enough that I take them out, but I like trick or treaters. I enjoy sitting on my couch watching football, and then answering the door to see all the cute kids, and joking around with them and giving them candy. It's a lot of fun. But a few years ago, some of the idiots in my neighborhood decided that it was too much work for the kids to walk all the up to the door and ring the bell, so they decided to put a chair at the bottom of the driveway, sit with a bucket of candy, and hand it out as kids walk by.

                I get WAY more upset about this than I should (ask my wife, she will confirm).

                1. Why on earth would I give up my comfortable seat on my couch, with my TV in front of me, and go sit in a folding chair in the cold? Is there a good reason to subject myself to this? No, there is absolutely no reason.
                2. Do we really need to make it easier for the kids to pile candy in their bag? Were they not getting enough candy before, so that we need to allow them to just walk down the street scooping up candy every few steps? For the record, the average lot in our neighborhood is 1/4 to 1/3 an acre. These kids are not walking a hundred yards between houses.
                3. Maybe I could get on board if we were actually improving things for the kids, but we aren't. The fun of trick or treating is running up to a house, ringing the bell, waiting for them to answer. It's the journey and the anticipation. What my neighborhood has done is to turn it into the equivalent of walking down the Walmart candy aisle with a shovel. So we have diminished the experience for BOTH the parents and the children.

                Needless to say, I refuse to participate. As a result, a lot of kids skip our house, as they see a bunch of neighbors out in their driveway and assume we are not home, or maybe just don't want to walk the extra 20 steps up to our door. I think I speak without hyperbole when I say that this practice is a symbol of the decay and decline of our civilization.
                You should put a sign on your front yard encouraging them to ring the doorbell.

                I agree, your neighbors are idiots.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • Pelado
                  Bald not naked
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 21153

                  #203
                  Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                  1. Why on earth would I give up my comfortable seat on my couch, with my TV in front of me, and go sit in a folding chair in the cold?
                  Amen, brother.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

                  Comment

                  • The_Tick
                    Made something of myself
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 7297

                    #204
                    We are a full size candy bar family still.

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69749

                      #205
                      Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                      We are a full size candy bar family still.
                      1CB2CE5A-DAAE-4FA2-92CE-21A361EBFF02.jpeg
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • The_Tick
                        Made something of myself
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 7297

                        #206
                        That is awesome.

                        Comment

                        Working...