Just had a big time lightning strike across the street.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • clackamascoug
    Banned
    • Dec 2009
    • 9709

    #1

    Just had a big time lightning strike across the street.

    My daughter was looking out her window - it was about 150 away.

    It was like a bomb going off - by far the loudest thing I've ever heard. The strike topped the huge Fir Tree, and the lightning tore off the bark and it raced to the ground. The top of the tree just blew apart and was about 3-4 feet in diameter and the limbs, and debris were a scattered all over heck.

    For unbelievers: One minute before the strike I was on the porch looking at the storm and smelling the ozone. I decided to go in the house before I got hit by lightning.

    For believers: One minute before the strike I was on the porch looking at the storm and smelling the ozone. The Spirit whispered its not safe out here, better go inside. I did. One minute later - KABOOM!!
  • CardiacCoug
    вот так штука
    • Nov 2008
    • 11013

    #2
    Glad everybody is OK.

    Whether the prompting came from within or from somewhere else, thank goodness for inspiration.

    Comment

    • DU Ute
      RIP CUF
      • Dec 2008
      • 7393

      #3
      I'm a believer in clackamascoug.
      "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
      "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
      "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

      Comment

      • Portland Ute
        Junior Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 5647

        #4
        Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
        My daughter was looking out her window - it was about 150 away.

        It was like a bomb going off - by far the loudest thing I've ever heard. The strike topped the huge Fir Tree, and the lightning tore off the bark and it raced to the ground. The top of the tree just blew apart and was about 3-4 feet in diameter and the limbs, and debris were a scattered all over heck.

        For unbelievers: One minute before the strike I was on the porch looking at the storm and smelling the ozone. I decided to go in the house before I got hit by lightning.

        For believers: One minute before the strike I was on the porch looking at the storm and smelling the ozone. The Spirit whispered its not safe out here, better go inside. I did. One minute later - KABOOM!!
        This happened in the Willamette Valley? WTF?

        I lived there for 4 years and never saw lightening or heard thunder once.

        That is ODD!

        Comment

        • Pelado
          Bald not naked
          • Sep 2010
          • 21139

          #5
          Glad you listened to the Spirit.

          When I was younger, there was lightning that hit a house just down the street from us. The impact was on the garage, blowing a huge hole in the roof. It had even blackened the basketball hoop that was on the side of the driveway. As far as I know, there were not any injuries.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

          Comment

          • clackamascoug
            Banned
            • Dec 2009
            • 9709

            #6
            Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
            This happened in the Willamette Valley? WTF?

            I lived there for 4 years and never saw lightening or heard thunder once.

            That is ODD!
            Late summer electricity is common in Clackamas County. The energy gathers from down south, backs up into the Cascades, and somehow Mt. Hood blocks the whole thing and it can get pretty interesting. If you were in Portland or Beaverton, you wouldn't even notice.

            Comment

            • SuperGabers
              aka... UtahDan's Wifey
              • May 2009
              • 2182

              #7
              What does ozone smell like? I know this could be a complicated answer.

              Glad you were smart by whatever means and went inside.

              Comment

              • Mormon Red Death
                BYU Delenda Est
                • Nov 2008
                • 8077

                #8
                I have a cousin who was hit by lightning on his mission (south america somewhere) he said it was like in the cartoons where like a bomb blows up in their hands. his fingers and face were all black and his hair was cinged and sticking straight up.
                "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

                "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

                Comment

                • clackamascoug
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 9709

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                  I have a cousin who was hit by lightning on his mission (south america somewhere) he said it was like in the cartoons where like a bomb blows up in their hands. his fingers and face were all black and his hair was cinged and sticking straight up.
                  (Threadnapper - Now my story sucks.)


                  Originally posted by SuperGabers View Post
                  What does ozone smell like? I know this could be a complicated answer.

                  I nabbed this from the web: Ozone, (O3), sometimes called "activated oxygen", contains three atoms of oxygen rather than the two atoms we normally breathe. Ozone is the second most powerful sterilant in the world and can be used to destroy bacteria, viruses and odors. Interestingly ozone occurs quite readily in nature, most often as a result of lightning strikes that occur during thunderstorms. In fact the "fresh, clean, spring rain" smell that we notice after a storm most often results from nature’s creation of ozone. However, we are probably most familiar with ozone from reading about the "ozone layer" that circles the planet above the earth’s atmosphere. Here ozone is created by the sun's ultra-violet rays. This serves to protect us from the ultra-violet radiation.
                  Last edited by clackamascoug; 07-20-2012, 11:45 AM.

                  Comment

                  • splitbamboo
                    Junior Member
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 130

                    #10
                    Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                    Late summer electricity is common in Clackamas County. The energy gathers from down south, backs up into the Cascades, and somehow Mt. Hood blocks the whole thing and it can get pretty interesting. If you were in Portland or Beaverton, you wouldn't even notice.
                    We had the same on the westside last night in Hillsboro. Went on most of the evening.

                    However I didn't get any impressions to go inside.

                    Comment

                    Working...