Random stuff worth reading on the internet thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    This article would have been much more shocking if years of participation on this message board hadn't proved that many lawyers aren't very bright.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

This article would have been much more shocking if years of participation on this message board hadn't proved that many lawyers aren't very bright.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
        One of the dangers of strong social justice narratives. Regardless if there is actual injustice, when the societal power dynamic changes, people seeking power or influence can take advantage of good intentions for personal or tribal gain. Even with training, mental health professionals can get sucked into some seriously deranged head spaces. Difficult situation all around. (Assuming the narrative given is sufficiently close to reality.)
        This part made me guffaw/spit DMD out my nose:

[Hay's wife] pushed Hay to ask for a paternity test, but Hay wouldn’t have it. Not only did he trust Shuman, he felt it would have been insulting for a heterosexual cisgender man to question a professed lesbian as to whether she’d had sex with other men. He believed her when she said her sexual relationship with him was an exception.

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        Zing!
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Some lawyers might not be very bright, but some comedians don't know how to tell jokes.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

https://narratively.com/the-man-with...irline-ticket/

Really well written memoir of a father with the infamous AAirpass and how it shaped and affected their family.
            I thought this was an enjoyable read. What a life for the author to grow up in.
            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
              I thought this was an enjoyable read. What a life for the author to grow up in.
              I thought so too. I thought it was interesting that at so early an age they recognized class difference and felt almost embarrassed to be sitting in first class as children.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

• I think my favorite part of the article was when she called her dad asking for an explanation on some of the "shady" details.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                  I think my favorite part of the article was when she called her dad asking for an explanation on some of the "shady" details.
                  Don't worry honey, they were actually legit!
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                    Crazy story about a Harvard law professor and 2 women who duped him out of his home and job for now:

https://www.thecut.com/2019/07/bruce...ha-haider.html

It's a long article, so here's a tease to get you interested!
                    Wow, crazy. Thank you for posting.

I learned a new word: pre-ejaculate. Which means I actually learned two new words.

Poe, Roe, I kept getting confused.
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Crazy story about a Harvard law professor and 2 women who duped him out of his home and job for now:

https://www.thecut.com/2019/07/bruce...ha-haider.html

It's a long article, so here's a tease to get you interested!

I learned a new word: pre-ejaculate. Which means I actually learned two new words.

Poe, Roe, Doe, I kept getting confused.

Also, good lesson on obeying the Law of Chastity.
                      Last edited by myboynoah; 07-25-2019, 10:41 PM.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

Poe, Roe, I kept getting confused.
                        Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

Poe, Roe, Doe, I kept getting confused.

Also, good lesson on obeying the Law of Chastity.
                        Are you trying to demonstrate the message board version of pre-ejaculate?
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Vlad Guerrero Jr.’s grandmother has been cooking for Dominican baseball players for 2 decades. Reading this story brought me back to Puerto Rico. Abuelas love to cook:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/25/s...andmother.html

Nice heart-warming story to start your Sunday.
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Something for both sides of the criminal justice spectrum: police misconduct gets prosecuted, and forgiveness is granted:

https://www.newswest9.com/article/ne...a-f67b173af40d
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

Something for both sides of the criminal justice spectrum: police misconduct gets prosecuted, and forgiveness is granted:

https://www.newswest9.com/article/ne...a-f67b173af40d
                              Read twitter, and I think you'll find that one side of the criminal justice spectrum is hardly content with the sentence she received.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                                Read twitter, and I think you'll find that one side of the criminal justice spectrum is hardly content with the sentence she received.
                                The Twitterers I’m partial to are pleased that she was found guilty, and for the most part think 10 years is a fair sentence. Some of them quibble with the murder charge, and would have preferred something like manslaughter.

Which side are you referring to?
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X