DIRECTV Questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • San Juan Sun
    Kicked to the curb
    • Dec 2009
    • 9214

    #61
    Originally posted by Y84it View Post
    Call and tell them you are canceling. Bada boop bada bing. Free NFL Sunday ticket.
    Just got a call from my wife. DirecTV installer says that this install requires a special stand that we have to pay for, and also pay $45 an hour installation. Oh yeah, and it's cash only. No, Mrs. SJS, you will not get a receipt. What's that Mrs. SJS, you're calling DirecTV? Forget everything I just said, and we'll get back to work.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

    - Ty Cobb

    Comment

    • Joe Public
      8.1 YPC
      • Apr 2011
      • 8524

      #62
      Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
      Just got a call from my wife. DirecTV installer says that this install requires a special stand that we have to pay for, and also pay $45 an hour installation. Oh yeah, and it's cash only. No, Mrs. SJS, you will not get a receipt. What's that Mrs. SJS, you're calling DirecTV? Forget everything I just said, and we'll get back to work.
      Good for her. I would call anyway; they'll be doing that to the elderly couple they go visit next.
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

      "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

      Comment

      • fusnik
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 4475

        #63
        Holy shit....

        I haven't looked at my DirecTV bill, here's the breakdown:

        70.99 for TV Xtra package
        4.99 for HD
        25.00 for DVR
        36.49 for auto renewal for Sunday Ticket
        47.00 for HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/Starz
        6.00 for additional receiver

        Yikes.

        Just called them, new bill is as follows:

        50.99 for channels for 12 months
        4.99 for HD
        25.00 for DVR
        25.00 for auto renewal for Sunday Ticket
        3 months free of HBO/Showtime
        6.00 for additional receiver

        Still a lot of money, holy cow.

        Comment

        • Color Me Badd Fan
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2009
          • 12519

          #64
          Originally posted by fusnik View Post
          Holy shit....

          I haven't looked at my DirecTV bill, here's the breakdown:

          70.99 for TV Xtra package
          4.99 for HD
          25.00 for DVR
          36.49 for auto renewal for Sunday Ticket
          47.00 for HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/Starz
          6.00 for additional receiver

          Yikes.

          Just called them, new bill is as follows:

          50.99 for channels for 12 months
          4.99 for HD
          25.00 for DVR
          25.00 for auto renewal for Sunday Ticket
          3 months free of HBO/Showtime
          6.00 for additional receiver

          Still a lot of money, holy cow.
          I'll never go to DirecTV for the following reasons:

          1. Dish is cheaper, I pay about $65 in the Fall for the sports package that includes the NFL Redzone and I have the lowest regular tier which still has every channel I want -- TNT, ESPN channels, FX, AMC, etc. When the NFL is not going on, that monthly bill is $10 cheaper. I have HD and a DVR.

          2. I can't get an NFL Redzone channel without getting the NFL Sunday ticket on DirecTV. That's fine the first year you sign up because it's free but you'll get nailed the second year of your contract. Even if I had the NFL Sunday Ticket, I still would just be watching the Redzone channel. There are few things that are impossible to overrate -- Jamie Lee Curtis's boobs in the early 80s being one of them and the Redzone channel being another. By the way, this reason alone is enough to never go back to DirecTV.

          3. I had DirecTV between 2008 and 2010 and there were some positives about the DVR vis a vis the Dish DVR and some enormous negatives. First, it's slower and less responsive than the Dish DVR. On the other hand, I like how the DTV DVR continues to recording (or allows you to rewind) a program that is on your live feed even if you start a program that's been previously recorded. The Dish DVR doesn't allow you to do that. Maybe it sounds like that feature wouldn't be used, but I do it all the time. If I was watching something that was on live television, I would often just switch to something previously recorded. After I was done with that I would then rewind the live television and I could skip the commercials. But quite honestly, the slowness of the DirecTV DVR outweighed the positives. As a matter of further disclosure, I've never tried the Hopper so maybe that's buggy and does some of the positive things the DTV DVR does. No idea.

          4. You can attach a hard drive to your Dish DVR. You can buy a 1 TB harddrive for $60 now. Over time your DVR becomes crowded. I still have Jimmer's game against New Mexico in the MWC championship saved. It's the most untouchable thing on my DVR. But now there's a lot more content I really don't want to erase. The Dish DVR accommodates up to a 2 TB hard drive.
          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

          Comment

          • chrisrenrut
            Strikes and Gutters
            • Jul 2009
            • 2296

            #65
            Originally posted by fusnik View Post
            Holy shit....

            I haven't looked at my DirecTV bill, here's the breakdown:

            70.99 for TV Xtra package
            4.99 for HD
            25.00 for DVR
            36.49 for auto renewal for Sunday Ticket
            47.00 for HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/Starz
            6.00 for additional receiver

            Yikes.

            Just called them, new bill is as follows:

            50.99 for channels for 12 months
            4.99 for HD
            25.00 for DVR
            25.00 for auto renewal for Sunday Ticket
            3 months free of HBO/Showtime
            6.00 for additional receiver

            Still a lot of money, holy cow.
            Did you have to re-up for 2 years to get that?

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69687

              #66
              Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
              Did you have to re-up for 2 years to get that?
              The re-up is negotiable. I once threatened to switch to Dish and they gave me a $200 credit on my bill, a discounted rate, and I didn't have to make any kind of commitment.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Pelado
                Bald not naked
                • Sep 2010
                • 21139

                #67
                Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                Did you have to re-up for 2 years to get that?
                My understanding is that only equipment upgrades require a new two years.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 37975

                  #68
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  The re-up is negotiable. I once threatened to switch to Dish and they gave me a $200 credit on my bill, a discounted rate, and I didn't have to make any kind of commitment.
                  I am currently threatening to switch to Dish unless DirecTV can give me a new iPad. My son is starting at a new school this fall that requires all the 5th graders to have a tablet and wireless keyboard.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                    Time to camp
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 26082

                    #69
                    Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    I am currently threatening to switch to Dish unless DirecTV can give me a new iPad. My son is starting at a new school this fall that requires all the 5th graders to have a tablet and wireless keyboard.
                    Hey stranger. Glad you aren't dead.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

                    Comment

                    • falafel
                      loves to talk on things
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 37975

                      #70
                      Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      Hey stranger. Glad you aren't dead.
                      How can we be sure?
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                      Dig your own grave, and save!

                      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • fusnik
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 4475

                        #71
                        Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                        Did you have to re-up for 2 years to get that?
                        No re up required.

                        If I reupped the lady I was working with said she could get me the ticket for free, discount my monthly bill even more on my package selection and give me 6 months of free HBO.

                        Dish is offering an iPad 2 right now for signup which i mentioned. I didn't have time to fight but I'm sure if I make another call and spend more time with them I could juice them for more.

                        Comment

                        • The_Tick
                          Made something of myself
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 7291

                          #72
                          Anyone else have the DirecTV GenieGo box at their house?

                          I had it at the old house, and it never worked. I want to try and get it going again at the new place...but I am not interested in paying the fee to have some dude come and hook it up.

                          Anyone have one...and if so can I talk you into taking a photo of house all the wiring is setup?

                          Comment

                          • Donuthole
                            Official Outgayer
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 25266

                            #73
                            Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                            Anyone else have the DirecTV GenieGo box at their house?

                            I had it at the old house, and it never worked. I want to try and get it going again at the new place...but I am not interested in paying the fee to have some dude come and hook it up.

                            Anyone have one...and if so can I talk you into taking a photo of house all the wiring is setup?
                            Unless it is for programming, I can't understand why anyone would put up with the crap DVR from DTV. I can't believe how unresponsive that thing is compared to the Dish DVR.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                            There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                            Comment

                            • Pelado
                              Bald not naked
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 21139

                              #74
                              Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                              Unless it is for programming, I can't understand why anyone would put up with the crap DVR from DTV. I can't believe how unresponsive that thing is compared to the Dish DVR.
                              Genie seems fine to me. Content is definitely what got me to DTV.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

                              Comment

                              • USUC
                                Chronic Poseur
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 8784

                                #75
                                Apparently there will be a price increase in February.

                                Comment

                                Working...