The Property Damage Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #16
    Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
    Is that what that pic was? If so, I am embarrassed that I didn't realize it. Those idiots should have the book thrown at them.
    Please allow me to share in your shame. If the pic was taken at RES and your recollection is accurate, then it is I that am embarrassed and in error.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • FN Phat
      I ♥ gateway sex
      • Feb 2009
      • 8691

      #17
      Not only is there many Oregon fans in the background, it would appear that Jonah Hill is giving a helping hand.
      I'm your huckleberry.


      "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

      Comment

      • il Padrino Ute
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 19161

        #18
        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        Please allow me to share in your shame. If the pic was taken at RES and your recollection is accurate, then it is I that am embarrassed and in error.
        I took a closer look and it does indeed look like the Oregon game as there are a number of folks in dark green coats.
        "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


        "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

        Comment

        • YOhio
          Hipster Mode
          • Nov 2008
          • 26165

          #19
          Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
          I was in RES when this took place. As my wife and I entered the stadium, I heard someone ask one of the ushers what was going to happen to the chairs and benches in the stadium because of the upcoming renovation to the stadium. The usher answered "We've been told by the university that if anyone asks about it, we can tell them they have permission to take their seats or portions of their benches if they want to remove it."

          I didn't participate, but many did, with the permission of the university.
          Regardless of what your usher said, he didn't have the authority to allow looting of public property. Disposition of state property is a formal process that requires the recipient to compensate the state at fair value. It doesn't sound like that happened in the situation you described.

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #20
            Originally posted by YOhio View Post
            Regardless of what your usher said, he didn't have the authority to allow looting of public property. Disposition of state property is a formal process that requires the recipient to compensate the state at fair value. It doesn't sound like that happened in the situation you described.
            why pile on? He already feels terrible about the whole thing.

            This is exactly the sort of stuff that makes me not want to participate as much in The Back Fence.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • il Padrino Ute
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 19161

              #21
              Originally posted by YOhio View Post
              Regardless of what your usher said, he didn't have the authority to allow looting of public property. Disposition of state property is a formal process that requires the recipient to compensate the state at fair value. It doesn't sound like that happened in the situation you described.


              I guess next time I ask a question, I will specifically make a note that your input is not welcome.

              Damn Patriot Act.
              "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


              "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

              Comment

              • YOhio
                Hipster Mode
                • Nov 2008
                • 26165

                #22
                Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post


                I guess next time I ask a question, I will specifically make a note that your input is not welcome.

                Damn Patriot Act.
                After standing idly by while looters ransacked a facility funded by the taxpayers of Utah, your disinterest in my input is expected. Typical of a government school fan.

                Comment

                • il Padrino Ute
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19161

                  #23
                  Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  After standing idly by while looters ransacked a facility funded by the taxpayers of Utah, your disinterest in my input is expected. Typical of a government school fan.
                  Why would your input be interesting? All you BYU fan lawyers sound alike.
                  "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                  "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                  Comment

                  • YOhio
                    Hipster Mode
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 26165

                    #24
                    Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                    Why would your input be interesting? All you BYU fan lawyers sound alike.
                    Judging by your non-response, you're okay with theft of public property and poor stewardship of taxpayer funded resources. At least as long as an usher says it's okay. Il Pad Socialist strikes again.

                    Comment

                    • il Padrino Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19161

                      #25
                      Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                      Judging by your non-response, you're okay with theft of public property and poor stewardship of taxpayer funded resources. At least as long as an usher says it's okay. Il Pad Socialist strikes again.
                      I obey the law. If others choose to not obey the law, that is their decision.

                      As for the usher saying it was okay, I mentioned that he was told by administration to tell people that it was okay if they wanted to destroy or take it. Does that matter?
                      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                      Comment

                      • Katy Lied
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 9435

                        #26
                        Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                        As for the usher saying it was okay, I mentioned that he was told by administration to tell people that it was okay if they wanted to destroy or take it. Does that matter?
                        I'd hold the usher and the fans innocent. I'd go after the scofflaw administrator who gave permission for the fans to destroy what the good people of Utah paid hard earned taxes for.

                        The Utah State Surplus Property Program is tasked with the accounting and ethical disposal of State-owned property. Property is first offered for reutilization to state and other government agencies, and secondarily offered for public sale.
                        Just imagine all those Weber State fans who were disappointed not to have leftover accoutrements to embellish Stewart Stadium.

                        Comment

                        • NorthwestUteFan
                          אלוף
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 3384

                          #27
                          Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                          I took a closer look and it does indeed look like the Oregon game as there are a number of folks in dark green coats.
                          I seem to recall something about that. The bench had been loose and broke when people sat on it, and the facilities people asked them to pass it to the aisle so they could carry it out, and the people in those seats were relocated. Perhaps the stadium was worried about their own liability if somebody got injured?

                          Comment

                          • TripletDaddy
                            sweet triple
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 58186

                            #28
                            What a poor decision to purposely instruct ushers to inform the public. Removing those benches and chairs generally requires tools, as they are bolted into the cement. Absent that, a concerted group effort to ouster them would be necessary. How incredibly unsafe to have people roaming around, ripping out chairs and benches, leaving exposed metal and bolts everywhere, lugging them to their cars, etc.

                            It is also foolish from a financial standpoint. When the Dodgers remodeled, they allowed folks to get chairs....at a price. It was a massive fundraiser, as Dodger fans everywhere wanted some of their own chairs from the stadium to use in their dens or patios.

                            So in sum: shortsighted, unwise, foolhardy decision making? I believe IPU that the U did this.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • NorthwestUteFan
                              אלוף
                              • Oct 2010
                              • 3384

                              #29
                              My brother bought our old seats from Rice Stadium when they were torn out back in '98. He has them in his basement TV room. They had a certain day, prior to demolition, that people could claim their seats and purchase them honestly from the state.

                              Comment

                              • YOhio
                                Hipster Mode
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 26165

                                #30
                                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                                So in sum: shortsighted, unwise, foolhardy decision making? I believe IPU that the U did this.
                                And illegal. I wonder if U employees think it's okay to give state vehicles away when they're rotating their fleet. Anyways, that's government for you. Makes me glad I cheer for a private school.

                                Comment

                                Working...