Improving router signal

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69742

    #16
    Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
    Can most routers act as either a bridge or a router? The thing is, I already have two routers--and old one that still works (but I'm not using) and a newer one that I'm using, but that doesn't have a great signal in the basement. So I'd rather not buy a third router or a bridge. I'm guessing the bridge picks up the wifi signal and amplifies it somehow? Or does it have to connect into the wall as well?
    I am not sure if "most" applies, but not all of them are designed that way. In some cases, you can reconfigure a router to act as a bridge using some kind of hack but you will need to google your router to find out. I tried it with my old Linksys but never got it to work, yet it seems to be common.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • Joe Public
      8.1 YPC
      • Apr 2011
      • 8533

      #17
      Bump. I am in the market for some powerline adapters. Does anyone have a recommendation or any suggested features, etc.?
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

      "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

      Comment

      • Pelado
        Bald not naked
        • Sep 2010
        • 21150

        #18
        Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
        Bump. I am in the market for some powerline adapters. Does anyone have a recommendation or any suggested features, etc.?
        Multiple ethernet ports.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

        Comment

        • HuskyFreeNorthwest
          Time to camp
          • Nov 2008
          • 26082

          #19
          Please help! In our new house the wireless signal is awful, I bought an Asus AC1900 router and set up the wifi network and the range is limited and sport at best. I hired Nerds on Call and they added a second router and placed it in a different area and basically the signal doesn't work at all anywhere now. So I've purchase a Powerline 500 wifi access, trying to set up today. Can I set this up to have the same wifi signal as my other or does it create it's own unique wifi signal? How does that work? I'm turning my hopes and prayers to you CS, please save me!
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69742

            #20
            Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            Please help! In our new house the wireless signal is awful, I bought an Asus AC1900 router and set up the wifi network and the range is limited and sport at best. I hired Nerds on Call and they added a second router and placed it in a different area and basically the signal doesn't work at all anywhere now. So I've purchase a Powerline 500 wifi access, trying to set up today. Can I set this up to have the same wifi signal as my other or does it create it's own unique wifi signal? How does that work? I'm turning my hopes and prayers to you CS, please save me!
            Whoa, whoa, whoa... Easy there, big fella. You have come to the right place.

            First item of business: cancel that powerline order. That stuff is crap.

            Second, I have been tinkering with my wifi quite a bit over the past several months and learned some tricks that work really well. No excuse not to have full strength wifi signal everywhere in your house. I am working from home today with a chest cold. Call me on my cell and I can diagnose your problems and walk you through your options. I will PM you my new cell number.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69742

              #21
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              I recently dumped my linksys and got an Apple Airport Express (~$100). Best wifi router I have ever had in terms of signal strength and robustness.

              You may want to consider a powerline adapter kit. Turns your home wiring system into a wired ethernet network. Works beautifully. That way you can have a superfast wired connection for your home theater. You could also add a second wifi router for your basement if you wanted to.
              I need to officially disavow this recommendation. It worked for a while, but then I had lots of problems. Major headache. If you want wired connections, bite the bullet and pull some cable. You will be glad you did.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Joe Public
                8.1 YPC
                • Apr 2011
                • 8533

                #22
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                I need to officially disavow this recommendation. It worked for a while, but then I had lots of problems. Major headache. If you want wired connections, bite the bullet and pull some cable. You will be glad you did.
                What kind of problems? I got a set based on your recommendation . . .

                I've been up and running for a couple of months, and I have had excellent results so far.
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

                "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

                Comment

                • Uncle Ted
                  The Big 12 money shot.
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 28853

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  I need to officially disavow this recommendation. It worked for a while, but then I had lots of problems. Major headache. If you want wired connections, bite the bullet and pull some cable. You will be glad you did.
                  Man, what were you thinking? Those Broadband over Power Lines (BPL) are not all that secure and don't work all that well because of line noise. The problem with line noise is getting worse given all the boneheads (like your neighbors) trying to use devices like this. If you have one of those smart meters then it will be even adding to the noise problem given it is using the power lines for transmitting data. It might work if you installed an expensive filter on to power line coming into your house or isolated your house from the grid (i.e. install your own power plant in your back yard).
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • FMCoug
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 6825

                    #24
                    You could always install this throughout the house.
                    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                    Comment

                    • old_gregg
                      scaly man fish
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 16915

                      #25
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                      Comment

                      • TripletDaddy
                        sweet triple
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 58186

                        #26
                        That video looks like something jimmy Fallon would do as a gag between his monologue and the first guest.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • Moliere
                          One man.....one pie
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 27897

                          #27
                          Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                          The credits for that video are awesome! Marjorie Erickson did the catering....I wonder what she did. I'm guessing peanut butter and honey sandwiches and maybe those applesauce pouch things from Costco. I bet the production crew was thrilled.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                          Comment

                          • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                            Time to camp
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 26082

                            #28
                            I know Lebowski rules this place with an iron fist, but he was a darn fine helper and my house now has wifi flowing freely through all parts. Not at crazy google super speed, but it works!
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

                            Comment

                            • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                              Time to camp
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 26082

                              #29
                              Please explain this to me like the idiot I am, TIA. We only have two locations where our modem can be located, both are in far reaching spots in our house. In one location we have DSL, that Duderino helped me with as mentioned above on the previous post, and it works mostly well but seems to crash a lot, daily or multiple times daily. In the other location which is on the complete opposite side of our house we have a cable connection which to put it mildly S a major D, despite me following the same instructions that JL gave me that worked for the other set up.

                              Is there a way for me to merge these two awful signals into one super signal capable of world domination or at least streaming Netflix in HD instead of pixels or cutting out?
                              Last edited by HuskyFreeNorthwest; 03-04-2016, 10:48 PM.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

                              Comment

                              • Walter Sobchak
                                Adventurer
                                • Oct 2009
                                • 3815

                                #30
                                You are paying for both DSL and internet from Comcast?

                                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

                                Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

                                Comment

                                Working...