Bizarred interview questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cowboy
    Homer Weems
    • Dec 2008
    • 5740

    #1

    Bizarred interview questions

    We've been looking for a hospital CEO, and we have interviewed a number of candidates. The interviews have been interesting. I get tired of asking the same old questions, so I try to ask some off-the-wall questions just to see how they react.

    A few of my favorites:

    What's your favorite board game?
    If you were one of the seven dwarfs, which one would you be?
    What is your favorite collegiate sport?
    Which vice-president do you admire most?
    Why did you pick the last book you read?

    I don't much care about the answers, it's more the reaction to the questions that interest me. What questions do you folks ask/get asked?
    Last edited by cowboy; 03-18-2009, 04:04 PM.
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924
  • beelzebabette
    Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
    • Nov 2008
    • 2907

    #2
    I've gotten the last-book-you-read question, but usually the questions I was asked were all dull. My repertoire for group interviews included which-Star-Wars-character, also for the reaction. I don't remember most of the answers, but I remember one guy lost himself a job, not because he'd never seen Star Wars, but because he used the question as a platform to extol his parents' views on no television.

    An old boss used to ask how many quarters would it take to stack a foot high to test reasoning skills--he'd never bothered to determine the correct answer.

    I like the off-the-wall questions because they usually give you insight into how easy someone's going to be to work with.

    Comment

    • cowboy
      Homer Weems
      • Dec 2008
      • 5740

      #3
      Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
      I like the off-the-wall questions because they usually give you insight into how easy someone's going to be to work with.
      That's exactly why I ask them. I like to see if people are comfortable in their own skin. When someone admits to me that their favorite board game is Sorry, or they can't remember all of the dwarf names, then I appreciate their candor.

      I also like to twist the strength and weaknesses question. Instead of a weakness, I ask them to tell about a time they failed at something. You'd be surprised at the number of people who tell me they've never failed at anything.

      And don't even get me started on the people whose "weakness" is that they are perfectionists, or that they work too hard. Oh brother...
      sigpic
      "Outlined against a blue, gray
      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
      Grantland Rice, 1924

      Comment

      • SeattleUte
        Faith crisis consultant
        • Nov 2008
        • 20837

        #4
        Originally posted by cowboy View Post
        We've been looking for a hospital CEO, and we have interviewed a number of candidates. The interviews have been interesting. I get tired of asking the same old questions, so I try to ask some off-the-wall questions just to see how they react.

        A few of my favorites:

        What's your favorite board game?
        If you were one of the seven dwarfs, which one would you be?
        What is your favorite collegiate sport?
        Which vice-president do you admire most?
        Why did you pick the last book you read?

        I don't much care about the answers, it's more the reaction to the questions that interest me. What questions do you folks ask/get asked?
        Chess
        Grumpy
        Basketball
        Harry S. Truman
        What others said about it
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

        --Jonathan Swift

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69746

          #5
          What's your favorite board game?
          Settlers of Catan

          If you were one of the seven dwarfs, which one would you be?
          Hybrid of Sleepy/Grumpy

          What is your favorite collegiate sport?
          Football. Duh.

          Which vice-president do you admire most?
          Tie between Jefferson/Adams

          Why did you pick the last book you read?
          Some guy named creekster said it was good

          How did I do?
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69746

            #6
            Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
            Harry S. Truman
            ???

            He was VP for what, six weeks?
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • cowboy
              Homer Weems
              • Dec 2008
              • 5740

              #7
              Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
              ...
              Grumpy...
              This is why, as big a jackass as you can be at times, I kind of like you. You're kind of like the Mr. Wilson of CUF.
              sigpic
              "Outlined against a blue, gray
              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
              Grantland Rice, 1924

              Comment

              • cowboy
                Homer Weems
                • Dec 2008
                • 5740

                #8
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                What's your favorite board game?
                Settlers of Catan
                Very good. Mine is a tie between Settlers and the Farming Game.

                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                If you were one of the seven dwarfs, which one would you be?
                Hybrid of Sleepy/Grumpy
                I don't know. Those are the only two I really know, and to be honest, I get them mixed up with the smurfs.

                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                What is your favorite collegiate sport?
                Football. Duh.
                Depends on the time of year. This week it's definitely basketball.

                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Which vice-president do you admire most?
                Tie between Jefferson/Adams
                I'll take Adams. Not a big Jefferson fan.

                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Why did you pick the last book you read?
                Some guy named creekster said it was good
                I like a book that has a smart-sounding title so that people on the airplane will think I'm cool when they see me reading it...and I liked Gladwell's last book so I figured this one would be interesting.

                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                How did I do?
                Send me your resume - I may have a job for you.
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

                Comment

                • PaloAltoCougar
                  Semper infra dignitatem
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 16940

                  #9
                  What's your favorite board game?
                  Not a true board game, but I'll go with Facts in Five

                  If you were one of the seven dwarfs, which one would you be?
                  Depends on the time of day and the seasons. At the moment: Sneezy

                  What is your favorite collegiate sport?
                  Football

                  Which vice-president do you admire most?
                  For very different reasons, either Jefferson or Gerald Ford.

                  Why did you pick the last book you read?
                  Wife says, "read this." I must obey.

                  Your interrogatories are better than Barbara Walters' or Oprah's.

                  Comment

                  • cowboy
                    Homer Weems
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 5740

                    #10
                    Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    [I]
                    Why did you pick the last book you read?
                    Wife says, "read this." I must obey.
                    Congratulations on finishing the Doctrine and Covenants.
                    sigpic
                    "Outlined against a blue, gray
                    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                    Grantland Rice, 1924

                    Comment

                    • Hallelujah
                      Junior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 2741

                      #11
                      Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                      We've been looking for a hospital CEO, and we have interviewed a number of candidates. The interviews have been interesting. I get tired of asking the same old questions, so I try to ask some off-the-wall questions just to see how they react.

                      A few of my favorites:

                      What's your favorite board game?
                      If you were one of the seven dwarfs, which one would you be?
                      What is your favorite collegiate sport?
                      Which vice-president do you admire most?
                      Why did you pick the last book you read?

                      I don't much care about the answers, it's more the reaction to the questions that interest me. What questions do you folks ask/get asked?
                      Is it the small hospital in Laramie?

                      Comment

                      • smokymountainrain
                        Impressive Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22593

                        #12
                        Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                        And don't even get me started on the people whose "weakness" is that they are perfectionists, or that they work too hard. Oh brother...
                        Amen. If you don't want to get hired, give me those answers. All those answers show is that the candidate doesn't know the meaning of the term "weakness".
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

                        Comment

                        • cowboy
                          Homer Weems
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 5740

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Hallelujah View Post
                          Is it the small hospital in Laramie?
                          Nope. Other end of the state.
                          sigpic
                          "Outlined against a blue, gray
                          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                          Grantland Rice, 1924

                          Comment

                          • Hallelujah
                            Junior Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 2741

                            #14
                            Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                            Nope. Other end of the state.
                            Is the avg tenure of a CEO around 18-24 mos. at your hospital? It's amazing the turnover rate of CEOs.

                            Comment

                            • SeattleUte
                              Faith crisis consultant
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 20837

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Hallelujah View Post
                              Is the avg tenure of a CEO around 18-24 mos. at your hospital? It's amazing the turnover rate of CEOs.
                              Have you tried a $100 million retention bonus? Mr. Liddy says they work.
                              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                              --Jonathan Swift

                              Comment

                              Working...