Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
    BYU grads worry about being asked if they are Mormon?
    sometimes. Not because I am ashamed or anything. I am proud to have graduated from BYU. I just don't want to get into the whole conversation of, "I didn't know you were Mormon." Then I reply, "I am really not." Then they ask, "Why did you go to BYU?" and I reply, "You mean other than it is a great school that was a fantastic financial boon to both me and my family?" Then they say, "There are lots of great schools and there are ways to make them affordable." Eventually I am forced to rely, "I used to be Mormon." and then they are like: "WOW! What was that like and why aren't you Mormon anymore?!" and then because the last thing I want to do is talk about my reasons for leaving, I end up being a poor conversationalist and find a way to bow out of the conversation.

It makes for awkward conversations with people I hardly know asking intimate details of my life of which they they really have no business knowing.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
      sometimes. Not because I am ashamed or anything. I am proud to have graduated from BYU. I just don't want to get into the whole conversation of, "I didn't know you were Mormon." Then I reply, "I am really not." Then they ask, "Why did you go to BYU?" and I reply, "You mean other than it is a great school that was a fantastic financial boon to both me and my family?" Then they say, "There are lots of great schools and there are ways to make them affordable." Eventually I am forced to rely, "I used to be Mormon." and then they are like: "WOW! What was that like and why aren't you Mormon anymore?!" and then because the last thing I want to do is talk about my reasons for leaving, I end up being a poor conversationalist and find a way to bow out of the conversation.

It makes for awkward conversations with people I hardly know asking intimate details of my life of which they they really have no business knowing.
      I work with a guy at my part-time job who graduated from BYU (both undergraduate and law school) and subsequently moved on from Mormonism years ago. I've overheard him having essentially this same conversation three times in the last six months.
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        This has bugged me for a long time but nobody sympathizes with me, nor does anyone understand it, I think. I hate when somebody from Hawaii visits me and we are out and about, and get into a situation where we need to make small talk with a new acquaintance, or just talking with strangers. They don't take the time to inquire about the other person, or find some commonality to chat about. No, they just drop the Hawaii bomb. Boom - "I'm visiting from Hawaii." Then they sit back and wait for accolades or for the other person to start simpering: "Oh Hawaii! I LOVE that place! I went on my honeymoon there / You are so lucky! / We are planning to go next month!!! Lazy conversationalists, and they are trying to leverage proximity with a geographic place to increase their own stature in the conversation. I dont think anyone should mention that they are from Hawaii until at least the 2nd or third conversation.

I should note that Salt Lake City has the same effect in reverse. When people ask where you're from and you answer SLC, and then you cringe wait for all the religious questions, where you're a MOTCJCLDS or not. Same for BYU grads.
        Cringe wait?
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post

Dude, just come back and your conversations will be so much easier!
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Ez solution for you strip.... come back into the fold! We have foot-long maple bars.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Being from BYU/Utah is such a great conversation starter. I am in Japan this week and I am pretty sure one of my taxi drivers is going to chat with the missionaries.

Comment

• 03323CDA-82C8-49C3-815E-CC7993265E5D.jpg

Here is what people in Utah who hate all their Republican and/or Mormon neighbors are putting up in their yards.

This sign is pretty much a guarantee that these people are misanthropes who don’t know any of their neighbors and so instead they are literally virtue signaling.

Comment

• the thanksgiving dinner tradition of separating kids from the adults.

1) kids, in general, are more fun - and funnier - than adults. i've been known to sit at the kids table for that reason, but am usually hesitant because adults tend to get offended so damn easy.

2) you constantly have parents getting up and down from the dinner table to help their kids with their meals. why not have the little farts right next to dad or mom so they don't have to keep getting up.

3) i like my little girls and would rather eat at the same table as them. maybe that is more a 1a from above, but it bears repeating.

4) moderation in all things. any dinner table is just better with kids mixed in. they are a good compliment to adults and vice versa.

anyway, it's a dumb, annoying, tradition.
                  Last edited by smokymountainrain; 11-23-2018, 10:16 AM.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

• also being at work the friday after thanksgiving.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• Christmas music.

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
                        Christmas music.
                        Humbug! And yet I agree that pretty much anything written my lifetime (e.g., Wonderful Christmastime, This Christmas, Grandma/Reindeer, Do They Know It's Christmas, etc.) should be destroyed.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          Humbug! And yet I agree that pretty much anything written my lifetime (e.g., Wonderful Christmastime, This Christmas, Grandma/Reindeer, Do They Know It's Christmas, etc.) should be destroyed.
                          Too lazy to look up a comment about exactly how old you are, but running off of a vague memory of you being in or around 65, I think there are several from your lifetime that are worth listening to: Perry Como's "Home for the Holidays," "Sinatra's Mistletoe and Holly," Rockin' around the Christmas Tree, Crosby's "Secret of Chistmas," and "We Need a Little Christmas" to name a few.

But then of course there is "Please Daddy, Don't Get Drunk this Christmas" that may fall in the destruction category.
                          “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                            Too lazy to look up a comment about exactly how old you are, but running off of a vague memory of you being in or around 65, I think there are several from your lifetime that are worth listening to: Perry Como's "Home for the Holidays," "Sinatra's Mistletoe and Holly," Rockin' around the Christmas Tree, Crosby's "Secret of Chistmas," and "We Need a Little Christmas" to name a few.

But then of course there is "Please Daddy, Don't Get Drunk this Christmas" that may fall in the destruction category.
                            Also “Grandma got run over by a reindeer”.

Comment

• When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Also “Grandma got run over by a reindeer”.
                                PAC addressed that abomination in his initial post. Try to keep up!
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X