Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
    So what would you say is the female equivalent to "guy"? Is there an acceptable one? Will guys become gender neutral?
    I don't have a problem with the term gal. I don't use it though. I usually just say woman. Sometimes lady.
    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
    -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

• Originally posted by marsupial View Post
      I don't have a problem with the term gal. I don't use it though. I usually just say woman. Sometimes lady.
      So when I'm at work and I pass by a group of women chatting, what do I say?
      a. How are you women doing?
      b. How are you guys doing?
      c. How are you gals doing?
      d. How are y'all doing?
      e. How are you ladies doing?

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        d. How are y'all doing?
        f. Don't say anything at all.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

d. How are y'all doing?
          Lived in the South for a while. That was one thing I thought very convenient and appropriate for these kind of situations.

Answer: D

Y'all is gender neutral...works for everyone. I still say it sometime even though I have not lived in the South for 10 years now. It's one of those things that stuck with me.
          "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

• Another pet peeve..........when my wife makes me late because she is taking forever to get ready.

I don't care if a woman/gal/chick/lady wants to spend 2 hours getting ready. That is her business. But if she is going to take that long, she should get up 2 hours before everyone else so that she can be ready to leave on time.

Does anyone here have the same problem with their wife? My wife is usually pretty good about getting ready on time, but she sometimes will get a late start and then not adjust her prep time accordingly, thereby making everyone else wait for her. weak!
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

d. How are y'all doing?
              f. Hey, how YOU doin'?

Comment

• either that or, "heya laydeez, wasSUP?!"

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Another pet peeve..........when my wife makes me late because she is taking forever to get ready.

I don't care if a woman/gal/chick/lady wants to spend 2 hours getting ready. That is her business. But if she is going to take that long, she should get up 2 hours before everyone else so that she can be ready to leave on time.

Does anyone here have the same problem with their wife? My wife is usually pretty good about getting ready on time, but she sometimes will get a late start and then not adjust her prep time accordingly, thereby making everyone else wait for her. weak!
                  I'm with you. And don't even get me started about my little gal behind the wheel of a car. All I can say is look out!
                  There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                  Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
                  And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Another pet peeve..........when my wife makes me late because she is taking forever to get ready.

I may be sleeping on the couch tonight, but I have this problem with Gidget. Even worse is that she'll ask me to help her wake up early so she can have the necessary prep time. Waking myself up early to wake her up is bad enough, but waking Gidget up is like waking up a teenager for early morning seminary. Every excuse comes out of her mouth with "please just 5 more minutes" which turn into 10 minutes and then the back and forth of "wake up" to which she immediately replies "I am up." Gidget has few faults, but this one drives me insane.
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                      Toni Morrison and Maya Angelou are two of my pet peeves. So are Ani DiFranco and Tori Amos. Listening to any of these four women sets me off.
                      I once had Morrison's Song of Solomon foisted on me at Georgia Tech as a "masterpiece." That was the quarter that I decided to be a literature professor and the same quarter I decided to transfer from Georgia Tech to BYU.

Her Song of Solomon is a masterpiece of swearing, blasphemy, and profanity, mixed with Greek mythology and the Bible. I felt vile after I read it, like how I felt when I saw Pulp Fiction the first time.
                      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                        I may be sleeping on the couch tonight, but I have this problem with Gidget. Even worse is that she'll ask me to help her wake up early so she can have the necessary prep time. Waking myself up early to wake her up is bad enough, but waking Gidget up is like waking up a teenager for early morning seminary. Every excuse comes out of her mouth with "please just 5 more minutes" which turn into 10 minutes and then the back and forth of "wake up" to which she immediately replies "I am up." Gidget has few faults, but this one drives me insane.
                        Way to try and save yourself.
                        I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Comment

• Pet peeves:

#1 Anyone who comes up and puts their arm on my shoulders and one-arm embraces me. This creates some sort of I-want-to-punch-you-in-the-mouth feeling in me. Also, if anyone grabs my wrist.....I instantly hate them and want them dead. My wife gets a pass because I love her and her boobies brush against me when she does it.

#2 Students who send me emails without a greeting or signature. I don't answer them. When they ask in class, I say, "No, I got a text message from you, but I only answer text messages on my phone." For the record, I warn them of this at the beginning of class, and on my syllabus. Also, if it's an emergency, I'm not so petulant as to ignore them.

#3 People who talk loudly on their cell phones in a restaurant. If someone screams "hello" I will respond with "Hi, how are you?" I then, depending on how big the dude is and how pissy I am, will add made-up sentences like "I'm out to dinner with my wife and some guy is yelling into his cellphone so we can't enjoy our meal," as if I were speaking to someone on an invisible phone. I've never had anyone say anything back to me, but then again, I know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. I don't do this to dudes with barbwire tatoos on their biceps.

#4 If I'm really upset, if someone tells me to calm down, all the anger I was feeling towards whatever upset me is now directed at the person who told me to calm down. This one is almost gone, but when I was young and single and sexually frustrated I had this nasty habit.

#5 When people who answer the phones and wear scrubs think that wearing scrubs makes them a doctor.

#6 My wife's family never finishes a bowl a cereal and then they leave it, cereal and milk, in the sink. They don't dump is down the disposal, they just leave it there to curdle and swell and stink. Drives me insane.

#7 People who put broken glass in the garbage instead of taking it out to the street can or dumpster. I've been cut many times by unknown glass.

#8 <redacted>

#9 When I call Time Warner Cable and HAL asks me to enter all my info, soc sec. #, zipcode, phone #, then I get connected to the CSR and they ask me the same schnit again.

#10 When restaurants serve Pepsi.

#11 When people snicker when I use "yall" in a professional setting. I embrace multiculturalism, so it bothers me to no end when mine is on the receiving end of academic intolerance.

#12 Long lists of pet peeves on message boards (I know it's unoriginal, which is the real peeve).

#13 Those belonging to the emperor or that from a long way off look like flies

#14 When people get up in front of the Church to "bear" their testimony and instead tell a story about how hard life is, how thankful they are for blah blah blah and then end it by sobbing and saying "in the name of thy son," as if they have just done some great act of piety. It's a testimony, not a storymony or a thankyoumony.

#15 People who call me a "pseudo"-intellectual. I think I'm going to start carving a notch in my desk every time someone does that from now on.

#16 People, including my bishop, who joke about my worthiness for a calling because I sometimes vote for a democrat.

#17 The present classification.

#18 Especially when I delivered pizza, people who swear that their dog "wouldn't hurt a flea." I've been bitten more times than I can remember. The real peeve though is when people see my reaction around dogs and scoff, "are you scared of dogs?" My reaction is always the same, "no, I'm not afraid; I don't like or trust them, and if yours makes a move towards me, you will not like my reaction."

#19 People who anthropomorphize their pets. Especially when they call them "Canine Americans."

#20 Every member a mission president.

#21 Anything having to do with the post-Koufax Los Angeles Dodgers
                          Last edited by wuapinmon; 07-17-2011, 11:42 AM. Reason: fixed sentence
                          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            I had that problem with the Mrs.. I took a hard stand and said
                            "It is not my responsibility to wake you up. I won't do it anymore. If you don't get up on your own we will be late to church. I actually like it better when we are late.
                            I then followed that up by not waking her up the next Sunday. We were an hour late but I've never had to wake her again.
                            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• Surfah and MRD bring up another sub-peeve......why the hell do I need to make sure my wife is up at a certain time? How old are you when you need someone to help you get up and out of bed? You have an alarm clock, a cell phone, and these days, iPods and even certain TVs to program that can automatically wake you up. Why do I need to be responsible for getting you up, as well? Get the hell out of bed yourself and be an adult. Drives me nuts sometimes.
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Surfah and MRD bring up another sub-peeve......why the hell do I need to make sure my wife is up at a certain time? How old are you when you need someone to help you get up and out of bed? You have an alarm clock, a cell phone, and these days, iPods and even certain TVs to program that can automatically wake you up. Why do I need to be responsible for getting you up, as well? Get the hell out of bed yourself and be an adult. Drives me nuts sometimes.
                                Maybe Gidget can explain this to us.
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X