Looking at a new basketball

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Surfah
    Where's Wallace?
    • Nov 2008
    • 33726

    #1

    Looking at a new basketball

    My ball of choice is the Spalding TF1000. It's what I used in HS and what I have always bought since. My old man had an official NBA game back in the day. The group he used to run with would only play with them. But they don't last as long as composite and once that leather gets worn a bit they're too slick to be useful. I have played with the Wilson Solution and it's a decent ball. But it feels a bit spongy sometimes. What about the Evolution? I don't think I have ever played with it. Also, I have never played with the Nike Elite Ball, but I know that it's kind of become the ball in college. Eastbay has it for $45 right now. Is it a nice ball? I really hate the giant swoosh on it. But if it's good enough for Jimmer....
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic
  • Moliere
    One man.....one pie
    • Oct 2009
    • 27877

    #2
    I also love the spalding TF1000. It just feels right in my hands.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

    Comment

    • cougjunkie
      *Banned*
      • Nov 2008
      • 23223

      #3
      We have been using the Evolution and I really like it. However it is so soft I tend to palm it everytime I get it in my hands.
      *Banned*

      Comment

      • old_gregg
        scaly man fish
        • Nov 2009
        • 16915

        #4
        is the evolution the new jet?
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

        Comment

        • Surfah
          Where's Wallace?
          • Nov 2008
          • 33726

          #5
          Originally posted by camleish View Post
          is the evolution the new jet?
          If it is, I didn't care much for the Jet. Been awhile since I have seen one of those around.

          I am going to have to visit Dick's and check out some balls.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

          Comment

          • Surfah
            Where's Wallace?
            • Nov 2008
            • 33726

            #6
            I could go Euro and get this:

            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

            Comment

            • Donuthole
              Official Outgayer
              • Nov 2008
              • 25266

              #7
              The Evolution is the first Wilson ball that I enjoy as much as the TF-1000. I hated the Jet in HS.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

              There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

              Comment

              • Clark Addison
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 10305

                #8
                I've had a couple of Evolutions for the last 5 years or so, and like it a lot. In our stake, we had a couple of Evolutions and a couple of TF-1000s, and teams picked the Evolution every time. This is probably because, as has been noted, the Evolution is a softer ball, and more attractive for the "Rec" player. Having said that, most of the good players we play with also prefer the Evolution. We play twice a week at church with several players who are pretty good, and we always play with an Evolution.

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 37973

                  #9
                  The evolution is great. I think you'd really like it. Very good feel.

                  I have a TF1000. I actually like the evolution a little more. Its a bit softer (not too soft) and a tiny bit more tacky (tackier?). I would probably buy one over the TF1000 if I were getting a new one.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • Donuthole
                    Official Outgayer
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 25266

                    #10
                    Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    The evolution is great. I think you'd really like it. Very good feel.

                    I have a TF1000. I actually like the evolution a little more. Its a bit softer (not too soft) and a tiny bit more tacky (tackier?). I would probably buy one over the TF1000 if I were getting a new one.
                    FTR, not all TF-1000s are created equal. The lower line of TF-1000 is sold in places like Dick's and Sport Chalet, but the truly good TF-1000s are only by special order (usually through a mom and pop sports shop or online). Or at least it was that way 8 years ago when I bought a TF-1000. The last TF-1000 my wife gave me for Christmas was one of the cheaper ones, and it's not as good.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                    There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                    Comment

                    • falafel
                      loves to talk on things
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 37973

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      FTR, not all TF-1000s are created equal. The lower line of TF-1000 is sold in places like Dick's and Sport Chalet, but the truly good TF-1000s are only by special order (usually through a mom and pop sports shop or online). Or at least it was that way 8 years ago when I bought a TF-1000. The last TF-1000 my wife gave me for Christmas was one of the cheaper ones, and it's not as good.
                      I was "gifted" my TF1000 as well, so I have no idea if its one of the good ones or the not as good ones. Another guy I know has a TF1000 that seems better than mine, so perhaps he has the "special" ball.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                      Dig your own grave, and save!

                      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • Surfah
                        Where's Wallace?
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 33726

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                        FTR, not all TF-1000s are created equal. The lower line of TF-1000 is sold in places like Dick's and Sport Chalet, but the truly good TF-1000s are only by special order (usually through a mom and pop sports shop or online). Or at least it was that way 8 years ago when I bought a TF-1000. The last TF-1000 my wife gave me for Christmas was one of the cheaper ones, and it's not as good.
                        There's the ZK Composite one. It's the same covering that Spalding used to offer on their NBA Indoor Ball. It was the composite version of the official NBA ball if IIRC, but they did away with it and added it to the TF1000 line.

                        The Evo is getting a ton of love here. I'll check it out.

                        No comments on the Nike Elite?
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • Donuthole
                          Official Outgayer
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 25266

                          #13
                          Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          I was "gifted" my TF1000 as well, so I have no idea if its one of the good ones or the not as good ones. Another guy I know has a TF1000 that seems better than mine, so perhaps he has the "special" ball.
                          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          There's the ZK Composite one. It's the same covering that Spalding used to offer on their NBA Indoor Ball. It was the composite version of the official NBA ball if IIRC, but they did away with it and added it to the TF1000 line.

                          The Evo is getting a ton of love here. I'll check it out.

                          No comments on the Nike Elite?
                          It looks like Spalding now offers the ZK (the lower quality) and has named the high quality the "Legacy". I can almost tell just by looking at the image that it's the same as the one I used to have. And if it's the one, it feels very much like the Evolution.


                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                          There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                          Comment

                          • Surfah
                            Where's Wallace?
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 33726

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                            It looks like Spalding now offers the ZK (the lower quality) and has named the high quality the "Legacy". I can almost tell just by looking at the image that it's the same as the one I used to have. And if it's the one, it feels very much like the Evolution.


                            I've never seen or heard of the Legacy. There was the ZK and ZK Pro that I recall. I wonder if the Legacy replaced the ZK Pro.

                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • Donuthole
                              Official Outgayer
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 25266

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              I've never seen or heard of the Legacy. There was the ZK and ZK Pro that I recall. I wonder if the Legacy replaced the ZK Pro.



                              Purportedly has a much softer feel than the ZK Pro (which is why most choose the Evolution over the ZKPro). I'm guessing the branding is new and this is the old, soft TF-1000 that you couldn't (and still can't) buy in just any retail store.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                              There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                              Comment

                              Working...