Wedding costs...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • The_Tick
    Made something of myself
    • Nov 2008
    • 7295

    #16
    I figure we will probably budget about 5k for the wedding. Anything over that, my daughter and my future SIL will have to figure something out.

    Trust me...I don't mind spending stupid amounts of money on things. But I am against spending some stupid amounts of money for a 1 day event. I know a marraige is for eternity and all...but the wedding and reception are really 1-2 days max.

    I would drop 1k on a set of golf clubs without blinking...but I am going to use those 50 times a year.

    It has to be because I am a guy.

    I am interested if PAC steps in here...

    Comment

    • The_Tick
      Made something of myself
      • Nov 2008
      • 7295

      #17
      Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      My daughters wedding: $10,288.62 Of course, she got a full-ride scholarship to school so I think I still came out ok in the long run. My wife and I won't be going on vacation any time soon.

      BTW, the average american wedding is something like $27,000. This is something your daughters will quickly point out to you when you mention things are costing too much.

      Comment

      • RC Vikings
        Known Heterosexual
        • Nov 2008
        • 8789

        #18
        Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        She had them add long sleeves and attach a white pair of stretchy pants underneath the dress so she could ensure she was being as modest as possible. Either that or she's pretty petite. I can't remember which.
        That's good to hear. I was worried you married someone like Margo Dydek just hoping to give your kids some extra height for basketball down the road.

        Comment

        • TripletDaddy
          sweet triple
          • Nov 2008
          • 58186

          #19
          Originally posted by filsdepac View Post
          Alcohol was about $4K, plus 20% tip since it takes so much skill to pour wine into a glass.
          I have been paying attention!

          From this thread and my experiences, the weddings on a budget are almost a sense of pride within the Mo community. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just interesting.
          See also: my car is 15 years old and I have no car payment.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

          sigpic

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #20
            Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
            I figure we will probably budget about 5k for the wedding. Anything over that, my daughter and my future SIL will have to figure something out.

            Trust me...I don't mind spending stupid amounts of money on things. But I am against spending some stupid amounts of money for a 1 day event. I know a marraige is for eternity and all...but the wedding and reception are really 1-2 days max.

            I would drop 1k on a set of golf clubs without blinking...but I am going to use those 50 times a year.

            It has to be because I am a guy.

            I am interested if PAC steps in here...
            You sound like a sentimental guy. For your funeral, are you going to ask for the pine box option or simply to be dumped on the side of the road?
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • filsdepac
              No pun intended
              • May 2009
              • 1823

              #21
              Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
              That's good to hear. I was worried you married someone like Margo Dydek just hoping to give your kids some extra height for basketball down the road.
              I was thinking more along the lines that Mrs. D doesn't stand for Donuthole.

              Comment

              • BigPiney
                Huge Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 12367

                #22
                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                You sound like a sentimental guy. For your funeral, are you going to ask for the pine box option or simply to be dumped on the side of the road?
                Pine box sounds good to me. I'm dead, I don't care anymore. Either that of I want one of those african caskets that are made to look like something else, like a big hoagie sandwich.

                Comment

                • UteStar
                  Sexiest Poster in Town
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 2419

                  #23
                  Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  See also: my car is 15 years old and I have no car payment.

                  We recently purchased a car that is only a couple of years old. My wife's friend freaked out and couldn't believe we would buy it. My wife thanked her for being so concerned about how we spend our money.

                  I proceeded to throw 400 twenty dollar bills into the fireplace at home to continue to show how frivolous we are as a family.

                  Comment

                  • Blueintheface
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 15382

                    #24
                    My wife worked at a bridal shop in Provo when we were married so her boss gave her a dress for free (she had to do the alterations but that was only a problem in the chesticle region ).

                    Unfortunately her parents couldn't even afford to fly out to the wedding so my parents paid for the reception and for them to come out. They also paid for the honeymoon. All told we estimated they paid around $5K (Reception was only around $1,500 and we were married in the SL Temple which only charges 10%).
                    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                    "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                    Comment

                    • Surfah
                      Where's Wallace?
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 33726

                      #25
                      I am not sure how much ours cost. Probably around $5k or so not including the travel expenses everyone in my family incurred as our wedding was on the opposite coast.

                      It was very lovely. The people that introduced me and Gidget allowed us to use their home (a Better Homes and Garden featured home BTW) for the reception. It was beautiful. They also did all of the flower arrangements for the cost of the flowers (they access to the Portland flower markets only florists are allowed into). We rented tables, chairs, and linens. And we did all of the food ourselves and asked some of the young single adults in Gidget's ward to help serve and replenish food. Gidget's aunt did our cake. Also our hotel for the honeymoon (the Fairmont in downtown Vancouver) was provided to us by a generous gift from FN Phat and Chachi. One of Gidget's best friends is the editor of a local magazine (NW Moms or something). A wedding/baby photographer wanted to advertise in her magazine, so she traded 6 months of ad space for his services. He was fantastic. He traveled to our location to do our engagement photos. Then he did our wedding shots and Gidget's bridals. He came to the Portland temple and then to the reception. He was with us pretty much all day. That gift alone saved us a few thousand dollars.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • RC Vikings
                        Known Heterosexual
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 8789

                        #26
                        I'm glad I only have sons.

                        Comment

                        • The_Tick
                          Made something of myself
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 7295

                          #27
                          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          You sound like a sentimental guy. For your funeral, are you going to ask for the pine box option or simply to be dumped on the side of the road?
                          I have asked for cremation. Don't even need to be placed in an urn on the fireplace. That crap is creepy.

                          I am an extremely sentimental guy 3D, but financially it makes no sense.

                          And yes...I can put a price on TK1's happiness.

                          Comment

                          • wuapinmon
                            Soul Plumber
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 30711

                            #28
                            Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                            How so?
                            I saw your name and the title, and well, I got all riled up.
                            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                            Comment

                            • The_Tick
                              Made something of myself
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 7295

                              #29
                              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                              I saw your name and the title, and well, I got all riled up.
                              No way...she "kinda" has a boyfriend. He hits the MTC late September to some place in Brazil to pick up some type of tape worm.

                              We are far far far away from that.

                              But I am getting ahead of it all and letting them know "there will be hurt feelings, so wrap your mind around it." (By them I mean TW, TK1 and 2.)

                              Comment

                              • Babs
                                Not a Lawyer
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 17128

                                #30
                                Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                                I'm glad I only have sons.
                                me, too.

                                I guarantee mine was the least expensive wedding. For the sake of pride I won't drop numbers. I guess it doesn't matter much in the long run . . . 13th anniversary this weekend.

                                Comment

                                Working...