The strange/incredible fact thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Color Me Badd Fan
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 12519

    #1

    The strange/incredible fact thread

    I think this may have been mentioned on the board before, but John Tyler -- the 10th President of the United States and born in 1790 -- has two living grandsons, the younger being 82-83 years old.

    Also, I didn't know this but perhaps its common knowledge, but Eleanor Roosevelt's maiden name was, wait for it, Eleanor Roosevelt. She was Teddy Roosevelt's niece.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”
  • happyone
    Board Bookworm
    • Mar 2009
    • 5398

    #2
    Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    I think this may have been mentioned on the board before, but John Tyler -- the 10th President of the United States and born in 1790 -- has two living grandsons, the younger being 82-83 years old.

    Also, I didn't know this but perhaps its common knowledge, but Eleanor Roosevelt's maiden name was, wait for it, Eleanor Roosevelt. She was Teddy Roosevelt's niece.
    Franklin was her 5th cousin once removed
    Last edited by happyone; 04-05-2011, 11:46 AM.

    I may be small, but I'm slow.

    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

    Comment

    • Katy Lied
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 9435

      #3
      Friction is a strange and complex force.

      Comment

      • Mormon Red Death
        BYU Delenda Est
        • Nov 2008
        • 8077

        #4
        Casey Kasem was the original voice for Shaggy on scooby doo.
        "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

        "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

        Comment

        • falafel
          loves to talk on things
          • Mar 2009
          • 37983

          #5
          I'm sure this is not a new fact for many of you, but I just learned that Silvio Dante on The Sopranos is played by Little Steven. And Silvio's wife is played by Little Steven's wife.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

          Dig your own grave, and save!

          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • Borderline Divine
            Junior Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 598

            #6
            A group of larks in flight is called an exaltation of larks. A group of ravens in flight is called a murder of ravens.
            The Holy War is over, and Utah won - Federal Ute

            Think of how stupid the average American is. Then remember that half are even dumber than that. - George Carlin

            Comment

            • Paperback Writer
              Signature won a Pulitzer
              • Nov 2010
              • 5211

              #7
              Originally posted by falafel View Post
              I'm sure this is not a new fact for many of you, but I just learned that Silvio Dante on The Sopranos is played by Little Steven. And Silvio's wife is played by Little Steven's wife.
              Even though he's not crazy about the nickname, I always think of him as Miami Steve Van Zandt - member of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.
              “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
              "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

              Comment

              • Color Me Badd Fan
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2009
                • 12519

                #8
                Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                Casey Kasem was the original voice for Shaggy on scooby doo.
                The same guy did the voices for Bugs Bunny and Twiki from Buck Rogers.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                Comment

                • Color Me Badd Fan
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 12519

                  #9
                  Bill Laimbeer was one of the sleestacks on Land of the Lost. I believe I mentioned this last week in another thread.
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                  Comment

                  • falafel
                    loves to talk on things
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 37983

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                    Even though he's not crazy about the nickname, I always think of him as Miami Steve Van Zandt - member of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.
                    Yeah, that was so weird to me. I'm not a big Springsteen fan, so I never knew the members of his band. I only know of "Little Steven" because of U2's Rattle and Hum.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                    Dig your own grave, and save!

                    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • Coach McGuirk
                      1
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 12109

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                      The same guy did the voices for Bugs Bunny and Twiki from Buck Rogers.

                      Mel Blanc did the voice for Bugs.

                      Comment

                      • Paperback Writer
                        Signature won a Pulitzer
                        • Nov 2010
                        • 5211

                        #12
                        Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Yeah, that was so weird to me. I'm not a big Springsteen fan, so I never knew the members of his band. I only know of "Little Steven" because of U2's Rattle and Hum.
                        I was a huge Springsteen fan. Born to Run was released (1975) when I was not quite a teenager and was very influential. At that time, I couldn't name many of the Q12, but could name each member of the E Street Band.

                        U2's Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum had a similar but less powerful effect on me. But that was mostly due to my age (rather than the music) as I was less impressionable at age 24 than at 12.
                        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                        "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

                        Comment

                        • YOhio
                          Hipster Mode
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 26165

                          #13
                          The guy that played Dauber in Coach also does the voice of Patrick on SpongeBob.

                          Comment

                          • Borderline Divine
                            Junior Member
                            • Jul 2010
                            • 598

                            #14
                            Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            The guy that played Dauber in Coach also does the voice of Patrick on SpongeBob.
                            Jeff Judkins? Who knew?
                            The Holy War is over, and Utah won - Federal Ute

                            Think of how stupid the average American is. Then remember that half are even dumber than that. - George Carlin

                            Comment

                            • hostile
                              lollygagger
                              • Dec 2009
                              • 5736

                              #15
                              The human head weighs 10 pounds
                              "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

                              "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

                              Comment

                              Working...