Vanity, thy name be wuapinmon

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wuapinmon
    Soul Plumber
    • Dec 2008
    • 30711

    #1

    Vanity, thy name be wuapinmon

    Here are student comments, all of them, from my Fall 2008 evaluations. My comments are in italics.

    Don Mac is a wonderful professor!! This is a great class but it needs more hands on activities!

    He is the best teacher I've had here. Especially when we learn facts about other cultures. We learn about the world and don't even realize it.

    This was my favorite class. The “que pasa en el mundo” made things interesting though we rarely understood at first. Great class!

    He's a very great teacher and I learned so much from him.

    Really good, helpful teacher, always there when I needed help. A ++ professor. I really liked using Quia it helped a lot. I didn't like audacity at all.

    The instructor was amazing. This is the first time an instructor deserved all A's!!! I learned a lot in this class and almost considered a Spanish minor.

    Wonderful professor – willing to help students as long as they want to help themselves. Makes 1012 work but you learn much. Gracias!

    The instructor is one of the best I have had. He is very helpful. Spanish 1012 is a great program.

    Great professor!

    Always make class enjoyable. Always helps us when we have problems or ask for help. Very good course! I learned a lot and feel a lot more confident about conducting.

    Awesome, fantastic, great teacher! Awesome course! Learned a lot!

    Dr. Carswell did a wonderful job in this course! He was great! (Huh? This is a mistake)

    Culture projects helped learn things about Spanish culture. The elmundo activities were good too.

    I really liked the instructor. He was a very good teacher and had high expectations for his students. I would take his class again.

    Wonderful teacher, really enjoyed the class.

    He's an excellent instructor and provides many strong resources to do well on the exams. He shows interest in what he does and makes the class fun.

    Enthusiastic about course material. Knowledgeable and helpful. Appropriate & interesting.

    All of the group work helped me understand the topic.

    Dr. Williams is a wonderful professor and is very passionate about what he does. He has made me love Spanish.

    Needs to inform classes when assignments are due. Does a good job interacting with students.

    Needs to make effient (sic) records (attendance, class participation, etc.) (A fair critique; it's true I could be better about taking attendance, but participation is student self-evaluation)

    It's helpful that he is so readily available. “Que pasa en el mundo'” is a good way to learn because the student is individually corrected.

    By having all of the students work in groups, we are able to learn more about the topics and participate effectively in class. Class discussions were also helpful and expanded our skills in the use of the Spanish language.

    He is very concerned for the well-being of his students. He should write things he says down on something. (I should!) Good course. It challenged enough without breaking us. My writing skills have greatly improved because of Dr. Williams.

    Professor was of much help. Available whenever we had a question. I enjoyed the class. All of the writing tips were very helpful. Some of the assignments made you think. (I'm sad they all didn't)

    The amount of translation required will be great for native speakers but will most likely be too much for non-native speakers. (The class is SPA 225, so, translation shouldn't be an issue)

    The instructor brought objects to class as visual guides for our writing. Excellent professor who always gives feedback and thorough in lecture. Course was very helpful because it helped [sic] to better articulate and become a stronger analytical thinker. Course was excellent. Helped my critical thinking and I feel that I have become a better creative writer.

    Great instructor, really know [sic] how to treat people. One of the best instructors on campus. The course was interesting. I learned a lot on how to better writing [sic].

    He is very interested on [sic] what he teach [sic] and knows a lot about it.
    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon
  • Babs
    Not a Lawyer
    • Nov 2008
    • 17128

    #2
    easy A, eh?

    Comment

    • wuapinmon
      Soul Plumber
      • Dec 2008
      • 30711

      #3
      Originally posted by Babs View Post
      easy A, eh?
      Quite the opposite.
      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

      Comment

      • il Padrino Ute
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 19161

        #4
        Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        Quite the opposite.
        So, you have a lot of TA's eh?
        "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


        "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

        Comment

        • Babs
          Not a Lawyer
          • Nov 2008
          • 17128

          #5
          Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
          So, you have a lot of TA's eh?
          I think by "quite the opposite" he means lots of Zs. Figures. He just lets them sleep through class. No wonder they rave about him.

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #6
            Originally posted by Babs View Post
            I think by "quite the opposite" he means lots of Zs. Figures. He just lets them sleep through class. No wonder they rave about him.
            I've never had a TA....language professors don't rate them.
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            • ERCougar
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10978

              #7
              LOL @ "I learned a lot on how to better writing".

              I'm concerned at the lack of comments on the spiritual side of your class. Did you open with prayer? Bear your testimony? Did you even mention the Book of Mormon?
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

              Comment

              • il Padrino Ute
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 19161

                #8
                Originally posted by Babs View Post
                I think by "quite the opposite" he means lots of Zs. Figures. He just lets them sleep through class. No wonder they rave about him.
                I always gave a higher rating to the professors that let me sleep in class.
                "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #9
                  Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                  LOL @ "I learned a lot on how to better writing"
                  My fave

                  He is the best teacher I've had here. Especially when we learn facts about other cultures. We learn about the world and don't even realize it.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • tooblue
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 5138

                    #10
                    Don't know if those are some of your first reviews but I had a colleague offer some great advice when I first started teaching and received my first reviews .. "Hang on to them -- file them away. Look back on them in several years and try to find a common thread in the comments then as opposed to now."

                    My reviews now as opposed to back when are much more severe -- it's usually a 50/50 split between those that like me and those that feel compelled to voice 'anonymous' displeasure with my teaching. The common thread in all of the comments is that I am honest, fair and I know my stuff.

                    Congrats on the good reviews.

                    Comment

                    • Surfah
                      Where's Wallace?
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 33726

                      #11
                      Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                      LOL @ "I learned a lot on how to better writing".

                      I'm concerned at the lack of comments on the spiritual side of your class. Did you open with prayer? Bear your testimony? Did you even mention the Book of Mormon?
                      For real. If he was any kind of LDS Spanish teacher he'd lecture on Quetzalcoatl and the Popol Vuh as evidence of Nephites in the Americas.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • Solon
                        Lost in the flood
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5747

                        #12
                        These are pretty good comments, but we all know that the real currency to trade on is how many chili peppers you have scored on ratemyprofessors.com.
                        "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                        -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

                        Comment

                        • YOhio
                          Hipster Mode
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 26165

                          #13
                          Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          Needs to inform classes when assignments are due.
                          I noticed this bad habit of yours when you posted your assignments in the Critic's Corner. There was no due date and some people still occasionally post in the thread.

                          Comment

                          • wuapinmon
                            Soul Plumber
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 30711

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Solon View Post
                            These are pretty good comments, but we all know that the real currency to trade on is how many chili peppers you have scored on ratemyprofessors.com.
                            I have zero chili peppers. I'm not much to look at, but I know how to make Mrs. wuapinmon tremble.
                            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                            Comment

                            • wuapinmon
                              Soul Plumber
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 30711

                              #15
                              Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                              Don't know if those are some of your first reviews but I had a colleague offer some great advice when I first started teaching and received my first reviews .. "Hang on to them -- file them away. Look back on them in several years and try to find a common thread in the comments then as opposed to now."

                              My reviews now as opposed to back when are much more severe -- it's usually a 50/50 split between those that like me and those that feel compelled to voice 'anonymous' displeasure with my teaching. The common thread in all of the comments is that I am honest, fair and I know my stuff.

                              Congrats on the good reviews.
                              These are year nine reviews. My first class was Winter 2000 at BYU. Those reviews were not so nice. I've gotten better as time goes by.
                              Last edited by wuapinmon; 02-16-2009, 03:38 PM.
                              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                              Comment

                              Working...