The Dog Lover Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Commando
    replied
    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Bad rap? naturally friendly? Playful? Lol.

    Knock it off.
    The Rottie is powerful, calm, trainable, courageous, and devoted to their owner and family. Loyal and protective, they will defend their family fiercely if needed, seemingly immune to pain. Serious, even-tempered, brave, confident and courageous, this breed needs an owner who is strong minded, calm, but firm and able to handle their massive size. A docile, natural guard dog with a laid-back, reliable temperament. They are highly intelligent and have proven their worth beyond question in police, military, and customs work over many centuries and can be trained for competitive obedience. Because of their size, training should begin when the dog is a small puppy. This breed needs a lot of leadership and socialization. They will not be happy confined to a kennel or backyard. The objective in training this dog is to achieve a pack leader status. It is a natural instinct for a dog to have an order in their pack. When we humans live with dogs, we become their pack. The entire pack cooperates under a single leader. Lines are clearly defined and rules are set. You and all other humans MUST be higher up in the order than the dog. That is the only way your relationship can be a success. When the Rottweiler receives consistent leadership and is trained, it will be a good playmate for the children. It will accept cats, other dogs, and other household pets, as long as the dog has been socialized well and have owners who assert their authority over the dog. Friends and relatives of the family are normally enthusiastically welcomed. Strangers to whom the dog senses bad intentions from can get no further than the sidewalk.
    Rottweiler dog breed information, pictures, care, temperament, health, puppies, breed history.


    Is the Rottweiler the right breed for you? Learn more about the Rottweiler including personality, history, grooming, pictures, videos, and the AKC breed standard.


    In high school one of my good friends had a huge rottie named Buddha. I used to wreck the house chasing that thing, getting chased, and wrestling it up and down the halls. It was a scary looking dog, but extremely smart and playful, and it knew when it was time to chill out and when it was ok to mess around. It never clamped onto me or bit anybody, and its 'attacks' when we were playing amounted to "gumming" me- the dog was definitely smart.
    Last edited by Commando; 08-19-2012, 01:18 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • TripletDaddy
    replied
    babes whatshappeningman

    Leave a comment:


  • ERCougar
    replied
    Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    We spent a fair amount of time looking at the mother (very nice temperament), and the litter as a whole. He was the mellow one.

    While I don't think anyone should get a dog like this (PB, Rottie, Doberman, German Shepherd, Akita, etc.) cavalierly, if raised properly you can obviously modulate for good behavior. And he's not a full PB, which is supposed to help avoid undue aggressiveness. At least these are the things I tell myself.
    That's pretty much what the last dad was telling me as I was sewing his daughter's ear back on.

    Leave a comment:


  • wuapinmon
    replied
    Originally posted by Babs View Post
    Dogs don't hurt people. Mishandled dogs hurt people.




    A 29-year-old woman is in Calgary hospital in critical condition following an early morning dog attack in the town of Sundre, located about 250 kilometres south west of Edmonton.




    A 9-year-old girl was hospitalized in critical condition after being attacked by a dog Friday morning in the Elmwood section of Southwest Philadelphia, police said.


    http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/...es-dono/nRDfq/

    http://www.wate.com/story/19309276/k...rom-dog-attack

    http://naugatuck.patch.com/articles/...ighboring-town

    http://www.kingmandailyminer.com/mai...rticleID=52219

    This is just a quick search for attacks from the last seven days.

    Leave a comment:


  • TripletDaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Commando View Post
    Pit Bulls need lots of love and obviously zero abuse to turn out nice, but I won't sit idly by while Rottweilers get a bad rap. Rotties are probably the scariest looking breed, and can be trained as guard dogs, but they are an awesome, naturally friendly, and playful breed.
    Bad rap? naturally friendly? Playful? Lol.

    Knock it off.

    Leave a comment:


  • Commando
    replied
    Pit Bulls need lots of love and obviously zero abuse to turn out nice, but I won't sit idly by while Rottweilers get a bad rap. Rotties are probably the scariest looking breed, and can be trained as guard dogs, but they are an awesome, naturally friendly, and playful breed.

    Leave a comment:


  • Babs
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Famous last words.
    Dogs don't hurt people. Mishandled dogs hurt people.

    Leave a comment:


  • LA Ute
    replied
    Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    We spent a fair amount of time looking at the mother (very nice temperament), and the litter as a whole. He was the mellow one.

    While I don't think anyone should get a dog like this (PB, Rottie, Doberman, German Shepherd, Akita, etc.) cavalierly, if raised properly you can obviously modulate for good behavior. And he's not a full PB, which is supposed to help avoid undue aggressiveness. At least these are the things I tell myself.
    I'm no expert but I hear the breed has been compromised by unscrupulous breeders who try to create fighting dogs. Supposedly half the pit bulls in the USA are from the "wrecked" group. Sounds like you've tried to be careful. Good luck.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jeff Lebowski
    replied
    Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
    The dog "will maul, slash and kill things to death!" That was the reaction that I got when I tried to get a pit bull pup. I have always wanted one. I love the breed. Very loyal and loving animals, when raised correctly.

    Did you fall in love with the breed when you were in Motown?
    Famous last words.

    Leave a comment:


  • FN Phat
    replied
    The dog "will maul, slash and kill things to death!" That was the reaction that I got when I tried to get a pit bull pup. I have always wanted one. I love the breed. Very loyal and loving animals, when raised correctly.

    Did you fall in love with the breed when you were in Motown?

    Leave a comment:


  • San Juan Sun
    replied
    Originally posted by Babs View Post
    I don't know. I guess "I bought my kids a pit bull" just seems like something somebody would post on CB to get a reaction.
    That's a good idea.

    Leave a comment:


  • Babs
    replied
    Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post


    I'm not sure why you think I'm trolling.
    I don't know. I guess "I bought my kids a pit bull" just seems like something somebody would post on CB to get a reaction.

    Leave a comment:


  • San Juan Sun
    replied
    Originally posted by Babs View Post
    I honestly thought SJ must be trolling. I wonder how much pit bull damage ERCoug has seen.


    I'm not sure why you think I'm trolling.

    Leave a comment:


  • Babs
    replied
    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    pit bull

    That is a no-go for me. Every pit bull that ever killed a baby started out looking like that. Same with rottweilers.

    It does look like a cool puppy though
    I honestly thought SJ must be trolling. I wonder how much pit bull damage ERCoug has seen.

    Leave a comment:


  • TripletDaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    We spent a fair amount of time looking at the mother (very nice temperament), and the litter as a whole. He was the mellow one.

    While I don't think anyone should get a dog like this (PB, Rottie, Doberman, German Shepherd, Akita, etc.) cavalierly, if raised properly you can obviously modulate for good behavior. And he's not a full PB, which is supposed to help avoid undue aggressiveness. At least these are the things I tell myself.
    hopefully you aren't as tasty in real life as you seem to be online. Especially after smoking delicious meats on the Yoder.

    Sleep with one eye open...gripping your pillow tight!

    Leave a comment:

Working...