"He's dead, Jim" - The 20XX Death Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • happyone
    Board Bookworm
    • Mar 2009
    • 5398

    #196
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    OK, is that better?
    much

    I may be small, but I'm slow.

    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

    Comment

    • happyone
      Board Bookworm
      • Mar 2009
      • 5398

      #197
      Former BYU basketball coach Frank Arnold

      He's brought respectability back to the Marriot Center after Glen Potter (along with Danny Ainge )

      I may be small, but I'm slow.

      A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

      Comment

      • grapevine
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2009
        • 1992

        #198
        Originally posted by happyone View Post
        Former BYU basketball coach Frank Arnold

        He's brought respectability back to the Marriot Center after Glen Potter (along with Danny Ainge )
        . Why did BYU let him go. Was it he tried to be the next Sun Watts? Lee Bensons mentioned that in a column. He had some good players there. But after Kite, Aimee and Roberts left I think BYU went downhill. I went to a few games when I was in Provo when I was young but I don’t personally remember him as a coach. Ladle Anderson is the first one I remember.

        Comment

        • happyone
          Board Bookworm
          • Mar 2009
          • 5398

          #199
          He couldn't replace Ainge and had a couple of down yrs

          Steve Klauke long time voice of the Bee's. He retired after last season. For a while he also was a host on AM570 when it was a Sports Talk radio station. I really enjoyed hearing him call a game

          I may be small, but I'm slow.

          A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

          Comment

          • falafel
            loves to talk on things
            • Mar 2009
            • 37996

            #200
            Originally posted by happyone View Post
            He couldn't replace Ainge and had a couple of down yrs

            Steve Klauke long time voice of the Bee's. He retired after last season. For a while he also was a host on AM570 when it was a Sports Talk radio station. I really enjoyed hearing him call a game
            I used to listen to him on the way home from Jazz games with my dad when i was a kid. At least I think I did. Regardless, I remember him on 570.,
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

            Dig your own grave, and save!

            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • MartyFunkhouser
              Disciple of RNGesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 18762

              #201
              Originally posted by happyone View Post
              He couldn't replace Ainge and had a couple of down yrs

              Steve Klauke long time voice of the Bee's. He retired after last season. For a while he also was a host on AM570 when it was a Sports Talk radio station. I really enjoyed hearing him call a game
              Hit by a car. Really sad. He should have had more a chance to enjoy his retirement. He seemed liked by everyone locally.
              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
              --Kendrick Lamar

              Comment

              • happyone
                Board Bookworm
                • Mar 2009
                • 5398

                #202
                g
                Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

                Hit by a car. Really sad. He should have had more a chance to enjoy his retirement. He seemed liked by everyone locally.
                Dang, I skipped over that part - that right's where my Grandmother used to live - back when there was nothing at that corner.for a half mile around

                I thought he called as good a game as anyone outside of Vin Scully. To bad he never had a chance to regularly call games at the big league level.

                I may be small, but I'm slow.

                A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                Comment

                • RC Vikings
                  Known Heterosexual
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 8789

                  #203
                  Jerry West, my basketball hero growing up.

                  Comment

                  • YOhio
                    Hipster Mode
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 26165

                    #204
                    Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

                    Hit by a car. Really sad. He should have had more a chance to enjoy his retirement. He seemed liked by everyone locally.
                    Reading some of the tributes to him have been quite touching. I'm sad the world lost a great person, but grateful his impact will continue on.

                    Comment

                    • Shaka
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 10450

                      #205
                      Bruce Bastian - Former student director of the BYU Marching Band.

                      Comment

                      • PaloAltoCougar
                        Semper infra dignitatem
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 16939

                        #206
                        Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                        Bruce Bastian - Former student director of the BYU Marching Band.
                        Sad, I don't think the BYU band has ever been as hip as it was while he was at the baton. To this day, I still chafe at the memory of a post-Bastian band performing at the Texas A&M Holiday Bowl debacle. . A&M's band performed first at halftime and marched with precision and power that matched their first half D, kind of like the German Wehrmacht in the first weeks of WWII. Then a Bastianless BYU band skipped out onto the field and opened with "Hey Look Me Over," and the emasculation was complete. Bruce would not have let that happen.

                        Bastian also gave us, for better or worse, WordPerfect.

                        Comment

                        • Shaka
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 10450

                          #207
                          Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post



                          Bastian also gave us, for better or worse, WordPerfect.
                          I may have purposely left that part out.

                          I worked for Word Perfect in college. They had been purchased by Novell by that point.

                          Comment

                          • Clark Addison
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10314

                            #208
                            When WP opened up their big new campus I was one of the original employees of the Hard Disc Cafe! When you teach a less popular language at the MTC you will occasionally get a two-month "vacation" when they skip a month bringing a new district in. So, during my 2.5 years at the MTC I had stints as a pizza delivery guy (loved this one), telemarketer (shiver), and, as said above, starting the Chinese food station at the cafe. My memory is hazy, but I am pretty sure I never told these employers that I was only there for two months. As a 22-year-old who didn't eat or have a place to live if he didn't work, I wasn't all that bothered by omitting that.

                            I don't remember if Bruce ever came to the Chinese food station, but if he did, it was probably one of the comforting thoughts he had in his last days. R.I.P.

                            Comment

                            • Donuthole
                              Official Outgayer
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 25273

                              #209
                              WordPerfect didn't age particularly well, but it paved the way for the word processing program we all use today. So for that, I am thankful. Also, I do sometimes miss the ability to open all the codes and remove all the unnecessary commands in a document, but I find that was a problem mostly created by WP's inability to adapt to copy-paste from other sources.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                              There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                              Comment

                              • falafel
                                loves to talk on things
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 37996

                                #210
                                Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                                WordPerfect didn't age particularly well, but it paved the way for the word processing program we all use today. So for that, I am thankful. Also, I do sometimes miss the ability to open all the codes and remove all the unnecessary commands in a document, but I find that was a problem mostly created by WP's inability to adapt to copy-paste from other sources.
                                The reveal codes was a great feature. Not sure why someone else hasn't put it in.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                                Dig your own grave, and save!

                                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...