Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official ChatGPT thread - the next big thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The official ChatGPT thread - the next big thing?

OK, if you haven't tried ChatGPT yet, you need to do it ASAP. Just hop on here and make a quick account and you can get started immediately.

https://chat.openai.com/chat

It is MINDBLOWING.

Give it a little bit of context and ask it to write a letter or email for you. Or a short talk to church. Or ask it to write some computer code for you. It is not perfect, but it is still incredible. And will only get better with time. I am already starting to use it at work to draft routine letters, memos, and emails.

Try something like this to get started:

Write me a short talk for church on the topic of repentance. Use one quote from Russell M Nelson, one quote from the Book of Mormon, and one quote from the New Testament. Finish with a personal experience.
    Or this:

My friend’s father died. Write me a note that I can send to him.

(wait for results)

Now write it in Spanish

(wait for results)

Now in Japanese

(etc)
    This is a simple programming example. It nails stuff like this and does remarkably well with more complex problems. This alone is a game-changer.

Write a python function that takes three coefficients of a quadratic equation (a, b, c) as input and return the two roots of the quadratics equation.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I just learned about it yesterday. A friend of mine asked it to write a verse of scripture in the style of the Book of Mormon about how to remove a peanut butter sandwich from a DVD player. It was incredible.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

"ChatGPT is at capacity right now
      Get notified when we're back"

Probably because Lebowski linked to it

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
        "ChatGPT is at capacity right now
        Get notified when we're back"

Probably because Lebowski linked to it
        They got over a million new users in the first week alone. Can't imagine what it is now. They are struggling to keep up with demand on the servers. The afternoon seems to be the heaviest load.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I just tried this one:

write me a college application essay and make it as cheesy and over the top as possible.
              As I sit here, pen in hand and heart full of passion, I can't help but think about how lucky I am to have the opportunity to apply to this prestigious institution. I have always dreamed of attending college and becoming a world-class scholar, and I believe that this school is the perfect place for me to turn my dreams into reality.

From the moment I stepped onto campus, I felt a sense of belonging. The sprawling green lawns, state-of-the-art facilities, and vibrant student body all spoke to me and told me that this was where I was meant to be. I can just imagine myself sitting in the library, surrounded by books and surrounded by like-minded individuals who are all driven to succeed.

But it's not just the physical aspects of this college that excite me. I am drawn to the academic programs and the opportunities for personal and professional growth that they offer. I am eager to learn from the distinguished faculty and to engage in meaningful research and extracurricular activities. I know that by attending this college, I will be able to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to become a leader in my field and make a positive impact on the world.

Furthermore, I am drawn to the values and mission of this college. I believe that by attending this institution, I will be able to not only further my own education, but also contribute to the greater good. I am inspired by the commitment to diversity, inclusion, and social justice, and I know that I will be able to learn and grow in a supportive and empowering environment.

In short, attending this college is a dream come true for me. I am confident that with hard work and determination, I will be able to thrive at this institution and achieve all of my academic and personal goals. I am eager to become a part of the college community and to make a meaningful contribution to the campus and the world. I truly believe that this college is the perfect fit for me, and I am excited to see where my journey at this institution will take me. Thank you for considering my application.

Comment

This thing is absolutely wild.
                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

write me a story about getting a peanut butter sandwich out of a dvd player in the style of the Book of Mormon
                  In the land of the ancient Americas, there lived a humble and righteous people known as the Nephites. They were a peaceful and industrious people, known for their love of God and their devotion to the teachings of the prophet, Mormon.

One day, a great famine struck the land, and the people were left without food or sustenance. In their hour of need, they turned to the prophet, Mormon, for guidance.

"Oh prophet, what shall we do?" they cried. "We are starving and have no food to eat."

Mormon, being a man of great wisdom and insight, spoke to the people and said, "Do not fear, my children. The Lord will provide for you, even in your darkest hour. He has given me a revelation, and I have seen a vision of a peanut butter sandwich hidden within your DVD player. Go forth and retrieve it, and it shall sustain you until the famine has passed."

The people were filled with joy and gratitude at the prophet's words, and they immediately set about searching for the hidden sandwich. They tore apart their DVD players, and sure enough, inside each one they found a delicious peanut butter sandwich, perfectly preserved and ready to eat.

For many days and weeks, the people feasted on the peanut butter sandwiches, and their strength and vitality returned. They were forever grateful to the prophet, Mormon, for his wisdom and guidance, and they knew that through his teachings, they had been able to overcome the great famine and find sustenance in the most unlikely of places.
                  I didn't love this one, so I had it try again.

Try again, but sound more like scripture
                  And it came to pass that in the land of the ancient Americas, there was a great famine that struck the people of Nephites. They were a righteous and devout people, and they cried out to their prophet, Mormon, for guidance.

And Mormon spoke unto them, saying, "Fear not, my children. For the Lord has provided for you, even in this hour of need. I have received a revelation from the Lord, and in a vision, I have seen a peanut butter sandwich hidden within your DVD players. Go forth and retrieve it, and it shall sustain you until the famine has passed."

The people were filled with joy and gratitude at the prophet's words, and they set about searching for the hidden sandwiches. And lo and behold, in each DVD player, they found a delicious peanut butter sandwich, perfectly preserved and ready to eat.

And the people feasted on the sandwiches, and their strength and vitality returned. And they knew that it was through the prophet Mormon's guidance that they had been able to overcome the famine and find sustenance in the most unlikely of places.

And they praised the Lord and gave thanks for His mercy and grace. Amen.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Here is another take:

write me a story about getting a peanut butter sandwich out of a dvd player in the style of the old testament
                    In the beginning, there was a great hunger that fell upon the land. And the people cried out to the heavens, asking for sustenance to fill their empty bellies.

And the Lord heard their cries and spoke to them, saying "Bring forth a DVD player, and within it you shall find a peanut butter sandwich to nourish your bodies and sustain you through this time of need."

The people were skeptical, for they had never seen a DVD player that could produce food. But they trusted in the Lord's wisdom and did as they were instructed.

They brought forth a DVD player and carefully pried it open. And lo and behold, there was a perfectly crafted peanut butter sandwich nestled within.

The people rejoiced and ate of the sandwich, feeling the strength and sustenance of the Lord flowing through them.

And the Lord was pleased, for he had provided for his people in their time of need. And the people vowed to never again doubt the Lord's power and provision.

From that day forth, the DVD player was known as a holy object, a symbol of the Lord's goodness and mercy. And the people prospered and were grateful for the peanut butter sandwich that had come to them from the most unlikely of places. The end.

Comment

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Write a song that's a duet between Tom Petty and William Shakespeare

Verse 1: (Tom Petty) I'm just a poor boy from the heartland Trying to make my way in this world I've got a guitar and a dream And a whole lot of stories to tell

(William Shakespeare) I'm a bard from old England Weaving tales of love and war With words that flow like a river And characters that you'll adore

Chorus: (Tom Petty and William Shakespeare) We're two different guys from different times But we share a love for the art of the rhyme We'll take you on a journey through history With a duet that's a tale of mystery

Verse 2: (Tom Petty) I'll sing of the highways and the byways Of the simple pleasures and the pains Of the rebel hearts and the free spirits That refuse to be tamed

(William Shakespeare) I'll speak of kings and queens Of love and hate and all that's in between Of jealousy and betrayal And the passions that can't be contained

Chorus: (Tom Petty and William Shakespeare) We're two different guys from different times But we share a love for the art of the rhyme We'll take you on a journey through history With a duet that's a tale of mystery

Bridge: (Tom Petty) We may come from different worlds But our words can take you there To places you've never been And feelings you never knew you had

(William Shakespeare) We may be from different eras But our stories never grow old They speak to the human heart And the timeless struggles that we all know

Chorus: (Tom Petty and William Shakespeare) We're two different guys from different times But we share a love for the art of the rhyme We'll take you on a journey through history With a duet that's a tale of mystery.
                        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Create a dialogue between Caillou and the arresting RCMP officer when he's finally caught for leading a methamphetamine empire in Ontario.

Officer: Caillou, you are under arrest for leading a methamphetamine empire in Ontario.

Caillou: What? This is outrageous! I'm just a little boy, I didn't do anything wrong!

Officer: I'm afraid the evidence against you is very strong, Caillou. We have been tracking your organization for months and have gathered enough evidence to put you away for a very long time.

Caillou: This is a mistake, I swear! I didn't know anything about any drugs!

Officer: I'm sorry, Caillou, but we have witnesses who have seen you making and distributing methamphetamine. And we have seized large quantities of the drug from your various labs and warehouses.

Caillou: (begins to cry) This isn't happening, this can't be real. I'm just a little boy, I don't know anything about drugs.

Officer: I understand that this must be very difficult for you, Caillou. But you must face the consequences of your actions. You have broken the law and harmed many people in the process.

Caillou: (sobbing) I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean for this to happen.

Officer: (sympathetically) I know you didn't, Caillou. But now it's time to pay the price. You will be taken into custody and will face trial for your crimes.

Caillou: (still crying) I'm scared, officer. What's going to happen to me?

Officer: (gently) You will be given a fair trial, Caillou. And hopefully, you will be able to turn your life around and make amends for the harm you have caused.
                          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Y'all need to stop playin' on this so I can use it for important things like writing my work correspondence with it!!

Comment

Have SIr David Attenborough narrate someone's dog pooping on a walk.

As we follow this friendly little dog on his daily walk, we can see him sniffing around and enjoying the sights and smells of the great outdoors. But as we watch him closely, we can see that his body is preparing to perform a vital function – the elimination of waste.

As the dog begins to squat, we can see the muscles in his hind legs tense up, and his tail raises slightly in anticipation. With a quick push, he releases his feces onto the ground, providing a glimpse into the inner workings of his digestive system.

The dog, satisfied with his work, continues on his walk, oblivious to the small but important contribution he has made to the natural cycle of life. As the feces decomposes, it will provide vital nutrients to the surrounding plants and soil, helping to sustain the delicate balance of the ecosystem.

So, as we continue to follow this little dog on his walk, let us appreciate the fascinating processes at work within his body, and the important role that he plays in the natural world.

Comment

Working...
                              X