Try Walking in My Shoes

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Surfah
    Where's Wallace?
    • Nov 2008
    • 33726

    #46
    Originally posted by falafel View Post
    That's why I go with the nike air sole DDD likes so much.



    Those look like shoes designed for a well dressed cholo.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

    Comment

    • pellegrino
      miserere me
      • Jan 2009
      • 12100

      #47
      Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
      Just buy some Doc Martin's and you will never have to buy another pair of shoes again. You will also be prepared for the apocalypse (at least when it comes to shoes).
      I bought a pair of dm's about ten years ago. I've worn them just about every day since. I love them, they're comfortable, very supportive and have worn very well. They're on their last legs now, the soles is cracked in the forefoot, the uppers are worn, but they still shine up fine and are completely suitable for jeans and casual slacks, which is what I wear most every day. Unfortunately it's impossible to have them resoled here in the states. I might be headed to London this fall for a conference, maybe I'll check out having them resoled then so they can last me another ten years.
      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
      Alessandro Manzoni

      Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

      pelagius

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #48
        How many here have taken their shoes to a cobbler to be resoled?
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        • Surfah
          Where's Wallace?
          • Nov 2008
          • 33726

          #49
          Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
          I bought a pair of dm's about ten years ago. I've worn them just about every day since. I love them, they're comfortable, very supportive and have worn very well. They're on their last legs now, the soles is cracked in the forefoot, the uppers are worn, but they still shine up fine and are completely suitable for jeans and casual slacks, which is what I wear most every day. Unfortunately it's impossible to have them resoled here in the states. I might be headed to London this fall for a conference, maybe I'll check out having them resoled then so they can last me another ten years.
          I have to say I am disappointed. I thought for sure you'd weigh in here and discuss your collection of Lattanzi or Black Label Testoni shoes.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

          Comment

          • pellegrino
            miserere me
            • Jan 2009
            • 12100

            #50
            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            How many here have taken their shoes to a cobbler to be resoled?
            I had a pair of rockports resoled in the mid 90's, cost me all of $30. The uppers were in great shape, which is why I did it. They lasted me another four years, after that I was tired of them.
            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
            Alessandro Manzoni

            Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

            pelagius

            Comment

            • pellegrino
              miserere me
              • Jan 2009
              • 12100

              #51
              Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              I have to say I am disappointed. I thought for sure you'd weigh in here and discuss your collection of Lattanzi or Black Label Testoni shoes.
              I once had a pair of Lattanzi shoes that looked like this
              They looked good but they were really hard on the soles of my feet, not much cushion and not the most comfortable at the end of the day. I think I gave them to Goodwill.

              I have no need to dress really well, at least according to business standards. Most days I wear jeans, some sort of polo or t-shirt, and occasionally a button up shirt. In class I usually wear a sports jacket to give that professorial look. I have one suit that I wear to church in the winter to give the appearance of orthodoxy (although the hair usually negates that). I have given away most of my ties and while I still have a dozen or so I only wear three or four regularly. I occasionally wear a tie to conferences, but only when I present, and then I take it off right after.
              Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
              God forgives many things for an act of mercy
              Alessandro Manzoni

              Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

              pelagius

              Comment

              • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                Time to camp
                • Nov 2008
                • 26082

                #52
                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                How many here have taken their shoes to a cobbler to be resoled?
                mmmmmm cobbler......
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

                Comment

                • dabrockster
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 10947

                  #53
                  Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                  Just buy some Doc Martin's and you will never have to buy another pair of shoes again. You will also be prepared for the apocalypse (at least when it comes to shoes).
                  Currently wearing mine as I type.. Love them. My last pair lasted over 10 years..
                  Last edited by dabrockster; 04-16-2010, 07:43 AM.

                  Comment

                  • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                    Time to camp
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 26082

                    #54
                    Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                    Not everyone here can pull off Stacy Adams.
                    I only wear Stacy Adams on holidays.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

                    Comment

                    • Color Me Badd Fan
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 12519

                      #55
                      Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                      Currently wearing mine as I type.. Love them. My last pair lasted over 10 years..
                      I only wear my Doc Martins when I know I'll be encountering a lot of acid that day.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                      Comment

                      • Surfah
                        Where's Wallace?
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 33726

                        #56
                        Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                        They looked good but they were really hard on the soles of my feet, not much cushion and not the most comfortable at the end of the day. I think I gave them to Goodwill.

                        I have no need to dress really well, at least according to business standards. Most days I wear jeans, some sort of polo or t-shirt, and occasionally a button up shirt. In class I usually wear a sports jacket to give that professorial look. I have one suit that I wear to church in the winter to give the appearance of orthodoxy (although the hair usually negates that). I have given away most of my ties and while I still have a dozen or so I only wear three or four regularly. I occasionally wear a tie to conferences, but only when I present, and then I take it off right after.
                        Those Latanzis are sweet. Seriously.

                        I am like you. I have no need to dress up. I have 3 suits in my closet. Two of which are 2 full sizes too big since I dropped weight last year. I rarely wear a suit to church anymore, not because I don't like to (I actually like getting my dapper dan on Sundays), but I just can't justify spending the money on a nice suit or two or three that I may wear a handful of times a month. Consequently, rubber soled Eccos are dressy enough for my slacks.

                        I know there are lots of rules to suits, but I think that they're changing (perhaps not for the better and the old guard seem rigid in this). I agree that clunky rubber soles should never be worn with a suit. And I know I am pushing it even further with my slip-on Eccos (though I think the vamp is high enough to get away with it and the sole slim enough that it's not distracting). But I think the world is so much more casual today in general, particularly in most workplaces that many bend these rules if not break them. Also, many don't even understand the rules to begin with. I think we also live in a disposable society where style trumps substance so we don't see people so concerned anymore with quality, or automatically assume that price equals quality.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • TripletDaddy
                          sweet triple
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 58186

                          #57
                          Originally posted by Surfah View Post


                          Those look like shoes designed for a well dressed cholo.
                          lol. I love accurate cholo references. we may need a dedicated cholo forum here.

                          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          How many here have taken their shoes to a cobbler to be resoled?
                          I have. I found it to be well worth it if you have preserved the uppers as much as possible. cobblers do a nice job. Shoe trees do wonders for preserving the life of your uppers. without them, the shoe will eventually deform and then there is no need to go to a cobbler, anyway. HFN is correct...cobbler is delish.

                          Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                          I only wear my Doc Martins when I know I'll be encountering a lot of acid that day.
                          I am the same except for me I am always stepping in fat, pretrol and alkali.
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • Surfah
                            Where's Wallace?
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 33726

                            #58
                            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            I have. I found it to be well worth it if you have preserved the uppers as much as possible. cobblers do a nice job. Shoe trees do wonders for preserving the life of your uppers. without them, the shoe will eventually deform and then there is no need to go to a cobbler, anyway. HFN is correct...cobbler is delish.
                            I keep shoe trees in all of my shoes as well. They are a must.

                            Cobbler is delish.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • Pheidippides
                              Liberal Feminazi
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 14759

                              #59
                              I eschew traditional shoes and wear these to work:



                              Not stylish perhaps, but you usually don't raise that with a guy who is dressed to kick your ass.
                              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                              Comment

                              • Color Me Badd Fan
                                Senior Member
                                • Jan 2009
                                • 12519

                                #60
                                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                                lol. I love accurate cholo references. we may need a dedicated cholo forum here.



                                I have. I found it to be well worth it if you have preserved the uppers as much as possible. cobblers do a nice job. Shoe trees do wonders for preserving the life of your uppers. without them, the shoe will eventually deform and then there is no need to go to a cobbler, anyway. HFN is correct...cobbler is delish.



                                I am the same except for me I am always stepping in fat, pretrol and alkali.
                                I only encounter petrol in parking lots. I find that fat, acid and alkali are much bigger problems. If people only had any idea how much of this shit was around, Doc Martens would be a necessity.
                                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                                Comment

                                Working...