Sweeping generalizations; I am making them

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Babs
    Not a Lawyer
    • Nov 2008
    • 17128

    #16
    Originally posted by falafel View Post
    You have 55 mph speed limits? :igiveup:
    seriously. I think I'd be permanently pulled over. If we move to Austin, we're having to budget for all the tickets I'll get driving back to Norman. On the way back from the BYU game I got was pulled over three times.

    Comment

    • Surfah
      Where's Wallace?
      • Nov 2008
      • 33726

      #17
      Oregon (sorry HFN, LDC, Gidget, PU, Mr. I, Clack and anyone else I forgot) has the slowest drivers on the planet. Everyone goes the speedlimit in and around Portland. I go nuts driving through that state. Not to mention you can't even pump your own damn gas there. And everyone merges and will stop to let you in. Nice but annoying when you're behind one of these friendly drivers.

      I haven't driven enough in Washington to give an opinion. I don't know how anyone can speed there because every time I have gone to Seattle or through it I am in traffic and construction.

      Utah's drivers are fast. I actually like the way they drive for the most part. Plus most drive well in the rain and snow. You don't realize how nice this is until you drive somewhere like Virginia in the snow.

      Virginia drivers are fast like Utah. But you get so many people passing through on I-95 that these guys can sometimes pose speed bumps on the freeway. And Virginia drivers aren't the best at merging. Driving in rain or snow is also a challenge for many.

      I like California too. Though they struggle in any kind of inclement weather.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

      Comment

      • Indy Coug
        Heartless Bastard
        • Dec 2008
        • 18747

        #18
        After many years of driving in Utah, I am convinced that everyone has served missions in the UK or in the British Commonwealth. The left lane is the slow lane, the middle lane is the less slow lane and the right lane is the passing lane.
        Everything in life is an approximation.

        http://twitter.com/CougarStats

        Comment

        • HuskyFreeNorthwest
          Time to camp
          • Nov 2008
          • 26082

          #19
          Originally posted by falafel View Post
          You have 55 mph speed limits? :igiveup:
          Some areas on I5 still drop to 50 I believe around Portland and Salem.

          Washington drivers do drive faster than Oregon drivers without question. It gets really frustrating with awful semi-drivers and 2 lane I5 for much of Oregon. I drive fast, maybe not scandel fast but faster than The_Tick, but you often find yourself with someone flying up and trying to make some crazy move around you before you even have time to change lanes or finish passing the person you were passing.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

          Comment

          • HuskyFreeNorthwest
            Time to camp
            • Nov 2008
            • 26082

            #20
            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            Oregon (sorry HFN, LDC, Gidget, PU, Mr. I, Clack and anyone else I forgot) has the slowest drivers on the planet. Everyone goes the speedlimit in and around Portland. I go nuts driving through that state. Not to mention you can't even pump your own damn gas there. And everyone merges and will stop to let you in. Nice but annoying when you're behind one of these friendly drivers.
            Tickets are expensive in Oregon, you slow down in the area where cops are.

            I am sorry that our general friendliness doesn't conform to your east coast and California standards. Kindness is our religion in the PNW.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

            Comment

            • Surfah
              Where's Wallace?
              • Nov 2008
              • 33726

              #21
              Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
              Tickets are expensive in Oregon, you slow down in the area where cops are.

              I am sorry that our general friendliness doesn't conform to your east coast and California standards. Kindness is our religion in the PNW.
              My FIL's friendliness was tested when he visited us in Utah. He followed me from our place in Cottonwood Heights to Franklin Covey Field for a Bees game. I thought I was going to die. I was going 55 in the slow lane and still had trouble not dropping him. He is the slowest driver I have ever met or seen in my life.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

              Comment

              • Mrs. Funk
                Lawyer Wannabe
                • Nov 2008
                • 2690

                #22
                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                Utah's drivers are fast. I actually like the way they drive for the most part. Plus most drive well in the rain and snow. You don't realize how nice this is until you drive somewhere like Virginia in the snow.
                Are you sure we're talking about the same Utah? I've wanted to get a bumper sticker the last two winters that says, "NEWSFLASH: It snows in Utah." The first snowfall, people are driving like bats out of hell, as if driving 75 on icy roads won't get them in an accident. Driving down State street in Lehi/American Fork feels like a near-death experience most of winter.
                "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #23
                  actually, the worst and slowest drivers in the country are located in Hawaii. So annoying.

                  Lots of people have bumper stickers that say, "Slow Down. This ain't the Mainland."

                  For a period of time, I had to drive amongst Mililani, Waipahu, Pearl City, Waikiki, Makiki, and Laie, sometimes all on the same day (with some stop offs at this really cool garbage dump out in the middle of some canyon). What is that...H3? H2? I don't remember. Didn't matter what time of year or what time of day....people always driving around 40mph. It was the worst. when you go to Hawaii on vacation, it is easy to get sucked up into the "fun" "laid back" island vibe. If you go there to work, the "laid back" vibe becomes a total nuisance.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • Indy Coug
                    Heartless Bastard
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 18747

                    #24
                    Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
                    Are you sure we're talking about the same Utah? I've wanted to get a bumper sticker the last two winters that says, "NEWSFLASH: It snows in Utah." The first snowfall, people are driving like bats out of hell, as if driving 75 on icy roads won't get them in an accident. Driving down State street in Lehi/American Fork feels like a near-death experience most of winter.
                    Unless those SUV commercials have all lied to us, they should be just fine.
                    Everything in life is an approximation.

                    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                    Comment

                    • Surfah
                      Where's Wallace?
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 33726

                      #25
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      actually, the worst and slowest drivers in the country are located in Hawaii. So annoying.

                      Lots of people have bumper stickers that say, "Slow Down. This ain't the Mainland."

                      For a period of time, I had to drive amongst Mililani, Waipahu, Pearl City, Waikiki, Makiki, and Laie, sometimes all on the same day (with some stop offs at this really cool garbage dump out in the middle of some canyon). What is that...H3? H2? I don't remember. Didn't matter what time of year or what time of day....people always driving around 40mph. It was the worst. when you go to Hawaii on vacation, it is easy to get sucked up into the "fun" "laid back" island vibe. If you go there to work, the "laid back" vibe becomes a total nuisance.
                      This is true. However, we usually visit the Big Island where it's not so much like this and not as crowded. But you don't have any freeways either so there is the potential for a logjam, especially heading to and from Kona.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • Surfah
                        Where's Wallace?
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 33726

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
                        Are you sure we're talking about the same Utah? I've wanted to get a bumper sticker the last two winters that says, "NEWSFLASH: It snows in Utah." The first snowfall, people are driving like bats out of hell, as if driving 75 on icy roads won't get them in an accident. Driving down State street in Lehi/American Fork feels like a near-death experience most of winter.
                        I did say most. You have a few idiots, mostly people thinking they're invincible in their SUVs or jacked up Dodge Rams. And the semis certainly don't slow down in the snow. They scare me worse than the daily drivers.

                        But I'd much rather deal with that than people idling through the snow. We made the mistake of going shopping after a doctor appointment we couldn't miss during the first big storm here and it took us 3 hours to go about 7 miles. About an hour of that was to go a half mile.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • happyone
                          Board Bookworm
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 5398

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
                          Are you sure we're talking about the same Utah? I've wanted to get a bumper sticker the last two winters that says, "NEWSFLASH: It snows in Utah." The first snowfall, people are driving like bats out of hell, as if driving 75 on icy roads won't get them in an accident. Driving down State street in Lehi/American Fork feels like a near-death experience most of winter.
                          It seems like every winter it takes at least two good storms to remind everyone that driving in snow and ice is not the same as driving on dry roads

                          One would think Utah drivers wouldn't have to be reminded, since it snows every year. Also some people seem to think that 4 wheel drive repeals the laws of physics and never learn

                          I may be small, but I'm slow.

                          A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                          Comment

                          • SeattleUte
                            Faith crisis consultant
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 20837

                            #28
                            Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                            I'm going to make one now. It is based on 24 years of driving I-5 and concerns the left coast. When it comes to speeding on the west coast, Washington drivers are second to none in my book. I'm talking the kind of speeding where you see a dot in your rear view mirror and seconds later that dot goes by like you're standing still. The kind of speeding that makes you think someone is going to get killed. Maybe they just can't wait to get the hell out of California but I'm telling you, every time a car just blows my doors off it's got Washington plates. I'm curious if a guy like HFN who drives I-5 a ton would agree with me.
                            The deep south is the worst. Try Louisiana. Big trucks that bully and crowd you as you're over the speed limit. Washingtonians are milque toast drivers.
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                            --Jonathan Swift

                            Comment

                            • SteelBlue
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 8189

                              #29
                              Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                              Washingtonians are milque toast drivers.
                              I think when you get them out of Washington they like to rebel. I live in a part of California where you can reach any speed you want on I-5 most of the time and Washingtonians are the most eager to test it out.

                              Comment

                              Working...