Fishing

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SteelBlue
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 8189

    #1

    Fishing

    As some of you know I have a pretty good age gap (8 years) between my oldest and my second child. The young ones are all spaced 2-3 years apart and enjoy a lot of the same activities. The oldest is bored whenever we do anything as a family. So, I decided to take up fishing again for the first time in about 12 years. It's something I used to love and I figure maybe we can all enjoy it together.

    I bought everyone a cheap Shakespeare spin combo and bought a license ($41 bucks???) and took them all out Saturday. We didn't have a lot of time so I just took them to the Sacramento River to practice casting. They had a great time and I think I'm onto something here. Just working a spinner again brought back a lot of great memories. I think it's going to be a fun year.
  • SteelBlue
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 8189

    #2
    That's cool Steel. I fish a lot too, here are some tips for helping the munchkins catch some fish next time you're out.....


    Jerks.

    Comment

    • tooblue
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 5132

      #3
      Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
      That's cool Steel. I fish a lot too, here are some tips for helping the munchkins catch some fish next time you're out.....


      Jerks.
      I was actually just about to respond to your post ... sheesh. As for tips it depends on where you are fishing. Also, learning to tie a proper knot cannot be overestimated when it comes to helping fishing newbies learn to free their bate or lure from snags.

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 37975

        #4
        Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
        That's cool Steel. I fish a lot too, here are some tips for helping the munchkins catch some fish next time you're out.....


        Jerks.


        I don't fish, but that sounds fun.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • tooblue
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 5132

          #5
          Originally posted by tooblue View Post
          I was actually just about to respond to your post ... sheesh. As for tips it depends on where you are fishing. Also, learning to tie a proper knot cannot be overestimated when it comes to helping fishing newbies learn to free their bate or lure from snags.
          I also suggest that if accessible to you find a lake that has Small Mouth bass in it. They generally are easy to find and are a blast to catch -- especially for youngsters.
          Last edited by tooblue; 03-02-2010, 04:33 PM.

          Comment

          • Jarid in Cedar
            CS Institutional Memory
            • Jun 2009
            • 13234

            #6
            Originally posted by tooblue View Post
            I also suggest that if accessible to you find a lake that has Small Mouth bass in it. Then generally are easy to find and a blast to catch -- especially for youngsters.
            I would add Crappie and BlueGill as well. We used to catch bluegill with bare hooks.
            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

            "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

            "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

            -Rick Majerus

            Comment

            • tooblue
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 5132

              #7
              Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
              I would add Crappie and BlueGill as well. We used to catch bluegill with bare hooks.
              I whole heartedly agree -- and where there are Crappie and BlueGill there are usually Rock Bass too. Disgusting little garbage fish but easy for little guys to catch and bring to shore or into a canoe.

              Comment

              • SteelBlue
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 8189

                #8
                Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                I also suggest that if accessible to you find a lake that has Small Mouth bass in it. Then generally are easy to find and a blast to catch -- especially for youngsters.
                We have lots of bass here but not the traditional bass fishing that I'm guessing you are referring to. We don't have a lot of coverage out here so the kind of bass fishing I did as a kid working the top of the water through the lily pads and watching a bass just blow up your lure just doesn't happen here. It's all shore fishing straight to uncovered deep water or stream/river fishing. I'd love to find a nice private pond somewhere. I remember some of those pics from your cabin. Those were some nice fish.

                Comment

                • tooblue
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 5132

                  #9
                  Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                  We have lots of bass here but not the traditional bass fishing that I'm guessing you are referring to. We don't have a lot of coverage out here so the kind of bass fishing I did as a kid working the top of the water through the lily pads and watching a bass just blow up your lure just doesn't happen here. It's all shore fishing straight to uncovered deep water or stream/river fishing. I'd love to find a nice private pond somewhere. I remember some of those pics from your cabin. Those were some nice fish.
                  The Large Mouth are the ones you see blowing up the lure in the fishing shows. They are hard to catch. Small Mouth bass are different than Large Mouth. Much more abundant and easier to find they are aggressive like large mouths but easier to land. It's a blast because they jump out of the water when hooked. Sometimes they are referred to as Black Bass. If you find a place where there are Crappy or Blue Gill you will also usually find Small Mouths.

                  I miss good river or mountain stream fishing. That was what I grew up doing using trusty old worms and walking up and down a Utah canyon for hours on end. The only trick to that kind of fishing is teaching kids to be stealthy and the old adage: if you can see them they can see you!
                  Last edited by tooblue; 03-02-2010, 04:48 PM.

                  Comment

                  • beelzebabette
                    Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 2907

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                    I would add Crappie and BlueGill as well. We used to catch bluegill with bare hooks.
                    What?! All the times I was fishing with a bare hook because I didn't want to clean a fish, there was still a possibility I could catch something (depending on where I fished)? I'm done with fishing.

                    Comment

                    • venkman
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 2199

                      #11
                      Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                      That's cool Steel. I fish a lot too, here are some tips for helping the munchkins catch some fish next time you're out.....


                      Jerks.
                      Well, if y'all find yourselves in the Uintas, I recommend worms. Fill a clear bubble up about half way, maybe throw on a bell weight (so you can get some distance to your cast) and give yourself about a 6 foot leader. Worked for the Venkmans in 2009. Have fun!
                      "Remember to double tap"

                      Comment

                      • tooblue
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5132

                        #12
                        Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                        We have lots of bass here but not the traditional bass fishing that I'm guessing you are referring to. We don't have a lot of coverage out here so the kind of bass fishing I did as a kid working the top of the water through the lily pads and watching a bass just blow up your lure just doesn't happen here. It's all shore fishing straight to uncovered deep water or stream/river fishing. I'd love to find a nice private pond somewhere. I remember some of those pics from your cabin. Those were some nice fish.
                        So, if you have lot's of bass and deep water but only access to the shore you may want to fish only early morning or at dusk. The Bass will lounge around in the deeper water all day but in the early morning or at dusk they hit the shoreline in as little as 2 feet of water looking for minos. I like to use jig heads with leaches as bait. Jig heads with a plastic grub also works well. Some fish in a certain lake will really like one color jig head over another:









                        Powerbait also makes a good rubber leach.

                        Comment

                        • tooblue
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 5132

                          #13
                          Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                          We have lots of bass here but not the traditional bass fishing that I'm guessing you are referring to. We don't have a lot of coverage out here so the kind of bass fishing I did as a kid working the top of the water through the lily pads and watching a bass just blow up your lure just doesn't happen here. It's all shore fishing straight to uncovered deep water or stream/river fishing. I'd love to find a nice private pond somewhere. I remember some of those pics from your cabin. Those were some nice fish.
                          Now, if you're limited to river or stream fishing you want to find places with Rainbow trout for little kids. Rainbows are stupid fish and will bite again and again even after being landed. Cut throats are a little smarter, they'll bite twice maybe. The real prize are browns (German Browns) or speckled trout. If you hook 'em and don't get them onto the shore quick they won't bit again all day.

                          Comment

                          • SteelBlue
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 8189

                            #14
                            I notice the pic reveals that you have a boat and a fish finder. Want to vacation to FarNorCal?

                            Comment

                            • tooblue
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 5132

                              #15
                              Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                              I notice the pic reveals that you have a boat and a fish finder. Want to vacation to FarNorCal?
                              You and your sons are welcome to come up north here any time.

                              Comment

                              Working...