Paris (France) travel tips/suggestions... with kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
    If I go may, and I may, it will probably be off-season travel. The weather shouldn't be a big deal because you are not really doing a ton of outdoor activities, other than walking around. But the weather was lovely for our trip.
    My favorite time to go is in May. The weather is generally nice with the occasional rain shower, however the springs showers tend to be short (like 5-10 minutes).

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I've had some fine meals in Paris and elsewhere in France, but I'm never happier eatswise than when I'm eating well-buttered baguettes while driving around the French countryside.
    The thing I like about France is the breakfast and lunch can be good and cheap. The bread and sandwiches sold in just about every boulangerie/patisserie will be better than most found in the US. I totally agree with Creekster on the food as MJ and I would always make dinner an event at a sit-down restaurant. We always set aside at least 2-3 hours for dinner.

Most people that come home hating Paris are people that don't understand the culture and way of life. Eating out is probably the biggest thing that pisses people off because they expect the Chili's type of service where the food is prepared and brought out as quickly as possible and the check is pretty much brought out as you finish the meal. Food in France is an experience and should be part of the enjoyment of the vacation.

FYI, if any of you end up in Bayeux I can give you a tremendous recommendation for a restaurant.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• On my most recent trip I flew business first, stayed at the prince de galle, bought around 4 pairs of shoes, ate out at different Michelin restaurants, and spent a sh**load of cash. Apparently people are sharing their expenditures so there are mine. Really enjoyed my trip.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Most people that come home hating Paris are people that don't understand the culture and way of life. Eating out is probably the biggest thing that pisses people off because they expect the Chili's type of service where the food is prepared and brought out as quickly as possible and the check is pretty much brought out as you finish the meal. Food in France is an experience and should be part of the enjoyment of the vacation.
        I enjoyed the long diners. The food was great and interesting. The service was great everywhere I went, especially at the hotels I stayed at. I may have payed a premium for that. I also thoroughly enjoyed a meal at Red Lobster upon my return.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          I've had some fine meals in Paris and elsewhere in France, but I'm never happier eatswise than when I'm eating well-buttered baguettes while driving around the French countryside.
          one if the great tourist myths of Paris. While the availability of amazing food is high, there is also an abundance of overpriced crappy food, even well reviewed places. In my opinion, Paris excels on the low end. They do common food exceptionally well and street style food is usually very good, also.

second greatest myth about Paris I've already mentioned, and that is the culture. Half the stuff in that city they stole from somewhere else. #sjbh

still my favorite city in the world, though. By far.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            On my most recent trip I flew business first, stayed at the prince de galle, bought around 4 pairs of shoes, ate out at different Michelin restaurants, and spent a sh**load of cash. Apparently people are sharing their expenditures so there are mine. Really enjoyed my trip.
            Deets on the restaurants, beyotch!
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Two day in Paris down, two to go. I'm waiting in my apartment for my wife to get back from her bike ride. My non-French speaking wife with no international data plan on her phone. This could be interesting.

If she ever finds her way back to our apartment, we have two more days here, then two days in Amboise, four days in Beynac, a night in Carcassonne, a night in Arles (we've turned the kids on to Van Gogh), a night back in Paris and out of here.

Asians have overtaken Americans as the most obnoxious tourists, and it's really not at all close. From a complete lack of awareness of personal space to awkwardly taking up the entire walk for pictures, they are FAR more conspicuous than your most stereotypical American.

Also, sneakers with jeans--used to be how Parisians recognized (and made fun of) Americans. Now it's apparently a thing. Except only Nikes. So typically French--they copy all things American, unavoidably hating themselves for the thing they formerly mocked. See also, jogging. Formerly, another way to identify the American tourist. Now the Seine is packed with French joggers, the lurpiest group of runners you'll ever see.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• That's a great itinerary, ER; your kids are lucky. Hope to see you in Arles next week and if you need to vent about the kids or anything else I'll be happy to lend an ear.

Comment

• Jealous
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    one if the great tourist myths of Paris. While the availability of amazing food is high, there is also an abundance of overpriced crappy food, even well reviewed places. In my opinion, Paris excels on the low end. They do common food exceptionally well and street style food is usually very good, also.

second greatest myth about Paris I've already mentioned, and that is the culture. Half the stuff in that city they stole from somewhere else. #sjbh

still my favorite city in the world, though. By far.
                    You like it better than Naples, Venice or Hong Kong? I agree that it is a great city.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Paris (France) travel tips/suggestions... with kids

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                      You like it better than Naples, Venice or Hong Kong? I agree that it is a great city.
                      Venice is great but Paris is tops.

One thing about Paris I thought was kind of funny is the presence of so many low-end pizza shops. It is a big city, like Philadelphia or Chicago, and has all the pop culture features of such cities.

My favorite place in Paris was the Musee d'Orsay (sp?). Not as overwhelming as the Louvre, full of great art with a great atmosphere.
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                        Venice is great but Paris is tops.

One thing about Paris I thought was kind of funny is the presence of so many low-end pizza shops. It is a big city, like Philadelphia or Chicago, and has all the pop culture features of such cities.

My favorite place in Paris was the Musee d'Orsay (sp?). Not as overwhelming as the Louvre, full of great art with a great atmosphere.
                        never heard of that. will have to check it out the next time im there.

did you go to the eiffel tower? excellent views of the city, strongly recommended.

sigpic

Comment

• Naples? There is a question as to whether Naples might be preferred to Paris?? Naples? This must be a troll.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                            Naples? There is a question as to whether Naples might be preferred to Paris?? Naples? This must be a troll.
                            Topper has a soft spot for cities that are fighting waste disposal crises.

sigpic

Comment

• Paris (France) travel tips/suggestions... with kids

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              never heard of that. will have to check it out the next time im there.

did you go to the eiffel tower? excellent views of the city, strongly recommended.
                              I loved the Eiffel Tower too (and its history). We ate at the restaurant there. I liked the Orsay mainly because I am an art museum geek and that one is pretty unique.

http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/home.html
                              Last edited by LA Ute; 05-13-2015, 03:55 PM.
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Paris in an afternoon: We've got a 23-hour layover in Paris next week (with the kids) so we're giving them a whirlwind tour - or at least as much as we can handle after flying all night. Right now the plan is to arrive at CDG at 11:30 am, drop our bags at the Novotel in the airport, and take a train into the city. We'll visit Sacre Coeur, eat a crepe, head to the Eiffel Tower or walk around the Lourve (but probably not go in), have dinner at a cafe, take an evening river cruise, then grab a train back to the hotel/airport. In the morning, we fly out.

What else should we consider on our very limited schedule?
                                "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Working...
                                X