No announcement yet.

Paris (France) travel tips/suggestions... with kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I was there in 2018 there were groups of 3-4 soldiers strolling around heavily armed at many of the big tourist spots. I enjoyed knowing they were around in abundance.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
      When I was there in 2018 there were groups of 3-4 soldiers strolling around heavily armed at many of the big tourist spots. I enjoyed knowing they were around in abundance.
      When I was there last year, I saw a group of soldiers walking down the street while I was in a boulangerie.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
        When I was there in 2018 there were groups of 3-4 soldiers strolling around heavily armed at many of the big tourist spots. I enjoyed knowing they were around in abundance.
        Those groups have been there since at least 1997
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I was there a couple weeks ago and on day 5 there was an explosion of military everywhere. It went from seeing them periodically at the train stations to seeing them everywhere with them flagging everyone with their ARs. It freaked my wife out because we were in Paris the week before the Bataclan shooting and the military presence felt very similar as to the latter half of our trip vs the first.

Comment

Since at least '95. I was more than a little surprised when I saw AR-type weapons on beret'd and fatigue'd soldiers as soon as I got off the train. And I'm a 2nd amendment-loving, gun-toting American!*

* While I am an American, I neither own nor am licensed to carry a firearm.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post

Since at least '95. I was more than a little surprised when I saw AR-type weapons on beret'd and fatigue'd soldiers as soon as I got off the train. And I'm a 2nd amendment-loving, gun-toting American!*

* While I am an American, I neither own nor am licensed to carry a firearm.
              I’ve often wondered if the guns are even loaded. I doubt they are but I don’t doubt they have ammo on them somewhere.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I’ve often wondered if the guns are even loaded. I doubt they are but I don’t doubt they have ammo on them somewhere.
                Actually I would be surprised if they weren't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

Actually I would be surprised if they weren't.
                  Of course they are loaded.

They going to take 2-3 seconds to fumble loading a firearm under a stressful situation?

The police in Paris seem to have adopted the American (I’m assuming American style of patrol) of 2-3 dudes with sidearms and one rifleman. And are omnipresent at all the major tourist sights throughout the city.

The military dudes in their fatigues were concentrated in the train stations and metro. I’m a big public transport guy on vacay and the first 4-5 days didn’t see one military guy, we went down to catch a train to our hotel and there were a couple military guys at the entrance. When we exited we saw a couple more. The next morning when we took a train on the RER there were 10 in one of the big Gares.

I’m assuming some intelligence was shared about a possible European attack and the French went full military zone.

Comment

• Super random diversion from the military topic here. If you find yourself missing Paris and want to pop in while at work, chilling at home or maybe walking/running on the treadmill there are several youtube accounts that just walk around for an hour. No commentary, no music. If you're a people watcher who loves that city I highly recommend this guy's account. I throw these up on my second monitor at work sometimes and it almost always provides a pick me up to see a corner of that city.

https://www.youtube.com/live/lvhS7af...o3jMNGE6oxHUwv

Comment

Working...
                    X