Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple Jan. 27 launch event... what will it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    I was converted to Apple more for the iMac than anything else. I've owned several types of PCs and did just fine with them. I like that they were cheap and worked well and I could get any software I needed...pretty much. The problem with a PC is that you sometimes have to understand computers to work them. Everything isn't well integrated, sometimes functions don't work as intended and you have to do work arounds. I'm fine doing that, but MJ is not computer savvy at all. I used to get calls daily at work and she was frustrated because she couldn't get a DVD to burn or she was getting an error message.

I finally relented and bought an iMac, mostly because I'd heard they were easier to use and better integrated between hardware/software, however I knew they had certain limitations. Well, we've both been pleased with the iMac. We've had it for 3 years and will definitely buy a new one when it's time. I no longer get the frustrating calls....well not about the computer.

After having the iMac, it was a natural progression to get an iPhone as the two work seamlessly together. We also got an Apple TV, which has been a blast when paired with the iPhone and iMac as well as iTunes.

I guess this post is just to expound a bit on why I own an iPhone. I know it doesn't have expandable memory, you can't replace the battery, it's less customizable, and you can't transfer playlists by buttrubbing two of them together, but it's a cool phone that does everything I need and it has made my life much easier.

Btw, I have had no issues with the Apple Maps app. I don't use it often because I just drive to work and back but I've tested it out for fun and it works great and it finds businesses just as well as google maps. I can't tell you how many times google maps inaccurately showed a business location.
    The whole Apple ecosystem is admittedly really tempting. Our new laptop is really easy, but still probably not as easy as a Mac. I tried to switch over just before we bought our last Dell and it turned into a total cluster, but I guess I must be the only one on the planet to have a really bad experience with a new (refurbished, actually) Mac. Then I got the Dell and we were back to smooth sailing on a much faster computer that was cheaper. So for me, it's an idea that never really materialized. I'm the exception, I guess.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      Surfah seems really caught up on the maps. I use the apple map 1-4 times a week. I can't remember having a problem, maybe I'm just a lot better at directions than everyone else.
      I care less about Apple's maps than I do about the relationship between Apple and Google. That is what I find interesting. There was a time when Jobs really liked Google and took those guys under his wing if you will. That was until Android was unveiled and they became a competitor.

I have always wondered how Steve Job's desire to go thermonuclear on Google and destroy Android would continue since his passing. Apple's maps is interesting because it was another step in Apple distancing themselves from Google and any dependence on their technology. It makes me curious if this was Cook carrying on Job's wishes and if Jobs would have released such a buggy product if he were still at the helm. Was the desire to stick it to Google greater than releasing a product that probably should have only been a beta version released to developers? The apology by Cook today is significant. Apple doesn't apologize for much.

A big part of my job is RDT&E for my clients. RDT&E that has involved both platforms.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        I care less about Apple's maps than I do about the relationship between Apple and Google. That is what I find interesting. There was a time when Jobs really liked Google and took those guys under his wing if you will. That was until Android was unveiled and they became a competitor.

I have always wondered how Steve Job's desire to go thermonuclear on Google and destroy Android would continue since his passing. Apple's maps is interesting because it was another step in Apple distancing themselves from Google and any dependence on their technology. It makes me curious if this was Cook carrying on Job's wishes and if Jobs would have released such a buggy product if he were still at the helm. Was the desire to stick it to Google greater than releasing a product that probably should have only been a beta version released to developers? The apology by Cook today is significant. Apple doesn't apologize for much.

A big part of my job is RDT&E for my clients. RDT&E that has involved both platforms.
        I've heard that it was actually just as much google that was distancing themselves. The google maps app has never had real turn-by-turn directions so you had to get a different 3rd party app if you wanted that. Apple wanted turn-by-turn and they probably also wanted more control over development so they looked at it and decided it would be easier to do in-house. I doubt the maps app will suck for long (it doesn't even suck now for me at least) as Apple has got enough cash to get it right quickly.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          I doubt the maps app will suck for long (it doesn't even suck now for me at least) as Apple has got enough cash to get it right quickly.
          If they've designed it correctly, the use of it by millions of people should quickly enable them to correct and update their databases.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            You rent a car to drive from the airport to home? Really?
            Home is California. Habit I guess. But yes I rent a car if I fly there because I try to visit my mom and grandmother and they live way too far from my meetings to make a cab practical.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              Home is California. Habit I guess. But yes I rent a car if I fly there because I try to visit my mom and grandmother and they live way too far from my meetings to make a cab practical.
              Aha... That home. Gotcha.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I used to rent cars all the time when traveling but finally realized that using taxis is often cheaper for most of my trips. And a lot more convenient.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Those wondering if jobs would release a buggy product never owned a first gen iPod. Man what a headache that was for pc users. Music match jukebox, anyone? And a scroll wheel that broke if any lint in your pocket accumulated under it. Grrr.

sigpic

Comment

Aha... That home. Gotcha.
                    Ha. Yes I don't rent a car in Slc!

sigpic

Comment

• I use google maps on my phone all the time.

-When I travel
                      -When I am looking for an address in my area with which I am unfamiliar
                      -To update traffic conditions when travelling around the bay area
                      -To find alternative routes

The reason I have yet to upgrade to iOS 6 is becasue I do not want to lose a resident google maps app until they have Apple maps figured out. I hope this is sooner rather than later.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        I use google maps on my phone all the time.

-When I travel
                        -When I am looking for an address in my area with which I am unfamiliar
                        -To update traffic conditions when travelling around the bay area
                        -To find alternative routes

The reason I have yet to upgrade to iOS 6 is becasue I do not want to lose a resident google maps app until they have Apple maps figured out. I hope this is sooner rather than later.
                        Apples maps does all of that. I haven't had any issues with it. I actually like the traffic option in Apple maps much better. It only shows where cars aren't moving at posted speeds so your map isn't covered in green to the point you can't read any of the road names. It also shows ramp closures and construction, which is something I never found in Google maps.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• My new phone is here! Finally.

Comment

My new phone is here! Finally.

I turned mine down for now. Didn't want to start the company run on new phones.

Comment

• I'm surprised by the people not having problems with Apple Maps, as it was bad enough that Apple apologized and told user that they should use something else while they fix it.

http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/
                              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Heading home from work. Time to fire up my gps and hope I can find my way!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X