Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple Jan. 27 launch event... what will it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no way is this thing eclipsing the iphone. The iphone holds down a huge demographic spectrum this thing won't touch.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      I remember hearing something similar when Apple unveiled "Mac" all those years ago.

Flash forward to today and PCs still have almost 90% of the world market share.

I love apple products. Let's calm down with the "change the world" stuff. On pure proliferation, PCs have "changed the world" much more dramatically than anything apple has done. Although Apple has produced some very influential products.
      Do you own an iPhone? I was a huge skeptic about the iPhone until I actually bought one. It has completely changed my life.
      That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

I remember hearing something similar when Apple unveiled "Mac" all those years ago.

Flash forward to today and PCs still have almost 90% of the world market share.

I love apple products. Let's calm down with the "change the world" stuff. On pure proliferation, PCs have "changed the world" much more dramatically than anything apple has done. Although Apple has produced some very influential products.
        lol You wouldn't have a PC if there wasn't first a Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
          no way is this thing eclipsing the iphone. The iphone holds down a huge demographic spectrum this thing won't touch.
          as of mid last year, iPhone's huge demographic spectrum was about 10% of total smartphone market share.

Compare to Blackberry, who has around 20+% of total marketshare.

Nokia kills both of them combined, with around 45% total world market share.

Apple is cool. It isn't dominant, by any means. In fact, by pure market share and total sales, it lags. So again, we can hold off on the iPad changing the world.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
            Do you own an iPhone? I was a huge skeptic about the iPhone until I actually bought one. It has completely changed my life.
            No I don't. But I do think they are cool. I think the iPad is cool, too.

Something that has only 10% market penetration isn't primed to change the world.

Incidentally, what aspects of your life has it changed? I dont like watching TV and movies on a tiny screen. I was already fairly meticulous about my music, so I don't care much about that. I do enjoy the proliferation of some of the apps (not the games and crap...but say....a Zagat app). 1st gen iPhone didn't have push email functionality, so in a sense, that would have changed my life for the worse.

sigpic

Comment

as of mid last year, iPhone's huge demographic spectrum was about 10% of total smartphone market share.
              Oh so you're saying that this thing is going to sell more than the amount of phones that cover 10% of the total smartphone market share? That's a ballsy statement.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Some iPhone games require 2 gig to run. Not only does the iPad lack Flash, but the early word is that it doesn't impress gamers.

Me wonders if Apple intentionally left things off of v1 so everyone who buys it will want the v2 in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                  lol You wouldn't have a PC if there wasn't first a Mac.
                  Is this a helpful fact in your mind?

If Mac is the forefather, than that means that in less time, PCs have proliferated and almost entirely eclipsed Apple products to a ratio of almost 9:1. Not good.

But in that spirit, I guess you were right....Apple did wind up changing our lives.....it gave us PCs, which pretty much the entire world uses.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
                    A CNN tech gadget went all over the iPad and said it doesn't include flash, which means there is no video.
                    The techie is a moron. True, it doesn't run the Flash player used for Flash based sites but it does run youtube videos which uses Flash video. Also, it will play videos through the itunes software in HD! Far better than any Flash video of any kind!

Comment

Compare to Blackberry, who has around 20+% of total marketshare.

Nokia kills both of them combined, with around 45% total world market share.

Apple is cool. It isn't dominant, by any means. In fact, by pure market share and total sales, it lags. So again, we can hold off on the iPad changing the world.

Comment

The techie is a moron. True, it doesn't run the Flash player used for Flash based sites but it does run youtube videos which uses Flash video. Also, it will play videos through the itunes software in HD! Far better than any Flash video of any kind!

I lean apple but if it won't run flash that the websites use that is a big deal. Unless a majority of the websites change platforms for video stream.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                          I lean apple but if it won't run flash that the websites use that is a big deal. Unless a majority of the websites change platforms for video stream.
                          It already runs youtube which uses Flash for it's video. Yes, an agreement will have to be reached with Adobe or ...

The next version of Flash will simply be an app authoring tool. That is why Apple won't permit Flash on iphone -- because Flash based Web sites are already Web sites that run small Flash based apps.

Apple has successfully controlled app distribution on iphone through itunes and made a boat load of cash. Adobe, though frustrated has already evolved. The Flash player will cease to exist and the Flash software will be a full blown app authoring package.
                          Last edited by tooblue; 01-27-2010, 03:34 PM.

Comment

It already runs youtube which uses Flash for it's video. Yes, an agreement will have to be reached with Adobe or ...

The next version of Flash will simply be an app authoring tool. That is why Apple won't permit Flash on iphone -- because Flash based Web sites are already Web sites that run small Flash based apps.

Apple has successfully controlled app distribution on iphone through itunes and made a boat load of cash. Adobe, though frustrated has already evolved. The Flash player will cease to exist and the Flash software will be a full blown app authoring package.
                            Is the youtube it ran the new non-flash HTML 5 based beta. I'm assuming it is.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                              Is the youtube it ran the new non-flash HTML 5 based beta. I'm assuming it is.
                              The youtube videos you can currently run on an iphone are already Flash based so I would think not. And for those that don't know HTML 5 is now all but here now that Windows 7 has arrived. What that means is no more players are required to be installed in your browser to play Flash, or Quicktime or Wmv's etc. They will be natively played in the HTML.
                              Last edited by tooblue; 01-27-2010, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Is this a helpful fact in your mind?

If Mac is the forefather, than that means that in less time, PCs have proliferated and almost entirely eclipsed Apple products to a ratio of almost 9:1. Not good.

But in that spirit, I guess you were right....Apple did wind up changing our lives.....it gave us PCs, which pretty much the entire world uses.
                                Windows is a cheap knock off of the Mac OS. So, yes, more than in spirit the Mac changed the world. More units sold isn't the ultimate measuring stick. What does that cheap PC buy you now? Malware and spyware and operating systems that don't work as promised. Cheap PC's will continue to be sold in high numbers but we are witnessing a fundamental shift in the market place. It's no longer PC v. Mac. It's now PC v. Mac v. iphone OS v. Android ...

History is repeating itself. Apple may not come out on top but, once again it is changing the world.
                                Last edited by tooblue; 01-27-2010, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X