Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple Jan. 27 launch event... what will it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    16gb? You can't even install the OS with 16gb. I believe the base model will have 128gb of flash and 4 frick'n GBytes of RAM.
    My OnePlus 6T has 8GB of RAM. And its not even the latest version of the phone. And it cost less than the intro model of the iPhone 11, which isn't even the top of the line device.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
      It's amazing that the guy without a headphone jack doesn't use a headphone jack.
      The lightning connector is technically a headphone jack. I just don’t use it even though I have the dongle thingy in case I ever needed to
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Yes! Use it or lose it money.

Somebody is going to inherit a sweet used laptop.
        I used to tote a laptop to work, but then I got an iMac -- so much of a life upgrade. I recommend it.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
          You must not travel much.

I just don’t travel much internationally.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
            My OnePlus 6T has 8GB of RAM. And its not even the latest version of the phone. And it cost less than the intro model of the iPhone 11, which isn't even the top of the line device.
            8 GB of RAM? It must be a b*tch on the battery. Yep.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I just don’t travel much internationally.
              Traveling 3 hours or less is probably fine. Cross country flights are a no go the last 90 minutes of the flight. Being on a 8 plus hour international flight with non-noise canceling headphones that only hold a 5 hour charge is awful. I have a dongle or whatever, but it’s annoying.
              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

We are reaching a point of feature saturation in smart phones.
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Video games, dude!

This was an interesting rollout. iPhone X was a big deal with face recognition and edge to edge glass, etc. This one just seems incremental. Like the refresh models one year after a major launch. Apple running out of ideas? Have we maxed out the smart phone platform?
                Did I mention it has the U1 chip? You may want to get some AirPods when you upgrade your iPhone.

Of course, they didn't even mention it in the keynote. Throw the hardware guys a frick'n bone Apple!
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

So maybe you should get one of those iPad Pros instead of a new computer. That will play solitaire faster.
                  I have an iPad Pro. Bought it about six months ago.

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                  I used to tote a laptop to work, but then I got an iMac -- so much of a life upgrade. I recommend it.
                  I have two computers at work: a one-year old Windows desktop PC and a MacBook Pro. Both with 3440x1440 ultra wide screen monitors. I have a brand new Mac Mini at home, also with a 3440x1440 monitor. All three monitors are about six months old. They are awesome.

I have 1TB of google drive storage because of google fiber, so I use the backup and synch utility to store all of my docs on google drive and they are automatically synched to all of the computers. I can also use TeamViewer to remotely connect to each computer for whatever reason. Very happy ... errr ... geeked with my setup.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I have an iPad Pro. Bought it about six months ago.

I have two computers at work: a one-year old Windows desktop PC and a MacBook Pro. Both with 3440x1440 ultra wide screen monitors. I have a brand new Mac Mini at home, also with a 3440x1440 monitor. All three monitors are about six months old. They are awesome.

I have 1TB of google drive storage because of google fiber, so I use the backup and synch utility to store all of my docs on google drive and they are automatically synched to all of the computers. I can also use TeamViewer to remotely connect to each computer for whatever reason. Very happy ... errr ... geeked with my setup.
                    Yeah, it is time to upgrade to your desktop. I suggest you get an iMac Pro or Mac Pro with, say, 128GB of RAM. And throw in a HomePod.

I can't believe you are using a google drive. Make sure you are encrypting everything so Google doesn't help themselves to the contents of your files.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yeah, it is time to upgrade to your desktop. I suggest you get an iMac Pro or Mac Pro with, say, 128GB of RAM. And throw in a HomePod.

I can't believe you are using a google drive. Make sure you are encrypting everything so Google doesn't help themselves to the contents of your files.
                      I used to run Windows on my mac using VMWare Fusion. Huge PITA. So now I use the desktop and when I need to run windows software on my laptop, I connect to the desktop computer with TeamViewer. Works great.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Investors seem to like the announcement
                        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                          Investors seem to like the announcement
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Apple rejoins $1 trillion club

Apple has reclaimed its spot in the $1 trillion club.

Shares gained more than 2.6 percent Wednesday morning, running the iPhone maker's market capitalization back above $1 trillion for the first time in 10 months. Apple has at least a $1 trillion valuation when shares are above $221.28 apiece. Microsoft ($1.03 trillion) is the only other U.S. company that is a member of the elite $1 trillion club.

Wednesday's gain comes a day after Apple announced its streaming service would be priced at $4.99 a month, and said it would release three new iPhones and upgrade other products.

“The pricing of Apple’s streaming TV service at $4.99 per month is a ‘show stopper’ and a major shot across the bow at the likes of Netflix and Disney among others,” Wedbush Securities said in a note following Apple's special event on Tuesday.

Apple shares have gained 41 percent this year despite facing headwinds from the U.S.-China trade war.
                            [...]
                            https://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple...163540330.html

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I can't think of a single thing I do on my current iPhone where I think "Gee, I wish I had a faster processor."

We are reaching a point of feature saturation in smart phones.
                              Under what circumstances would one need that extra horsepower?
                              Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              I have it on good authority that there's no need for the additional speed.
                              This was an interesting rollout. iPhone X was a big deal with face recognition and edge to edge glass, etc. This one just seems incremental. Like the refresh models one year after a major launch. Apple running out of ideas? Have we maxed out the smart phone platform?
                              Originally posted by Commando View Post
                              I hate to say that the phone is as good as it gets, but... at the risk of sounding like people in the 19th century who proclaimed that everything under the sun had been invented, I don't think they could do anything else to make this phone better other than make it the size of the iPhone 5 again and maybe upgrade the waterproof-ness.
                              The same thing happened with desktops/laptops. For many years there was a huge advantage to upgrading frequently due to speed, hardware changes, etc. but now the typical laptop has all the power you need for 99% of the things you do and the yearly updates don't make much of a difference. I have a 3-yr old MacBook and it works great. I have computer replacement money coming in January, but I don't really need a new computer.
                              Well, it looks like the cat is out of the bag. Here is why you will need that supercomputer in your pocket... The next step in wearable computing done right (LOL@Google):

Project StarBoard: New Evidence of Apple AR Glasses Emerges

They must be close if they left all this in there.

Despite rumors to the contrary, it seems that Apple is still working on its augmented reality glasses. In fact, StarBoard — the programming framework that supports the device — has been left untouched in the final version of iOS 13 and iOS 13.1 beta.

Apple developer Steve Throughton-Smith and 9to5mac’s Guilherme Rambo found the whole StarBoard system shell that runs stereo augmented reality apps in iOS 13.1 beta 3 and iOS 13.0 golden master, the final version of iOS 13 that will ship on September 19. This follows the discovery of some AR glasses evidence found nine days ago.

Apple even left a readme file in the iOS 13 golden master directed to its employees, telling them how to run the StarBoard apps without using its AR headset:
                              [...]
                              This confirms a March 2019 report by the most reliable Apple analyst, Ming-Chi Kuo:

“Kuo says that the glasses won’t have their own graphics processor or CPU, rather relaying on a connected iOS device to drive the AR experience. Apple’s AR glasses will only carry a display, camera sensors, and wireless connectivity electronics, making them lighter and less battery hungry than Hololens 2 and other headsets. Also, it will make them less expensive than the competition.”
                              [...]
                              https://www.tomsguide.com/news/proje...lasses-emerges

Of course, The Dude will tell us that wearing Apple AR glasses, like wearing AirPods, will make you look like a dork. Of course, it seems the only ones laughing now about the AirPods is Apple and its stock holders... all the way to the bank. This is just yet another market that is ripe for Apple to dominate.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Haha. The author of that article agrees with me.

I don’t know about you, but I find this all a lot more exciting than yesterday’s presentation, which was an utterly boring parade of marketing words to dress up a clear lack of phone innovation.

Comment

Working...
                                X