Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple Jan. 27 launch event... what will it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    So, for $50 more, is it worth just upgrading to the 3 with twice the space? Despite really stretching the budget for these kids, I'm leaning towards yes.
    Yes. 16 is definitely too small. And 32 would be fine for a year or two, but apps are getting bigger and bigger. I have a 64GB, and it is awesome knowing that I don't have to worry about space. I transferred an entire season of The Wire onto it for a few weeks and still had several GB available.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

So my wife and I have decided to ask Santa for an iPad mini 2 for our kids to share as part of their Christmas. My wife insists that we need the 32 GB because the 16 GB doesn't seem like enough space. We should be able to get the mini 2 32 GB at Target for $315, but Target is out of stock, so "should" isn't doing us any favors. Best Buy has it for $350 or we can get a mini 3 (64 GB) from Target for $400.

What would you do? The kids are 7 and 5, so I'm not convinced that they need the 32 GB, but I hate the idea of a "I told you so" down the road. So, for $50 more, is it worth just upgrading to the 3 with twice the space? Despite really stretching the budget for these kids, I'm leaning towards yes.
      Set up that Plex server like I recommended and just stream all of your video over the wifi. Then you will need less space.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Set up that Plex server like I recommended and just stream all of your video over the wifi. Then you will need less space.
        Yeah, I second the idea of using Plex.

And build a FreeNAS server loaded up with WD 6TB reds to store all those movies/songs you download off internet...

http://www.freenas.org/for-home/

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          This is for his kids. I doubt they will be streaming much of Dwight's personal collection to their mini. If they do stream stuff, its probably all on Netflix anyway.

I would definitely go for the 32 GB as well, if not more. I have a 32 GB that my kids basically treat as their own and it has come pretty close to being maxed out a number of times with all the stupid apps they like.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

And build a FreeNAS server loaded up with WD 6TB reds to store all those movies/songs you download off internet...

With Spotify and Popcorn Time, who needs to download movies and tv shows?
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Thanks for the suggestion, but as any respectable government employee, I stopped watching after the "Dicks Installs."
              I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

So my wife and I have decided to ask Santa for an iPad mini 2 for our kids to share as part of their Christmas. My wife insists that we need the 32 GB because the 16 GB doesn't seem like enough space. We should be able to get the mini 2 32 GB at Target for $315, but Target is out of stock, so "should" isn't doing us any favors. Best Buy has it for $350 or we can get a mini 3 (64 GB) from Target for $400.

What would you do? The kids are 7 and 5, so I'm not convinced that they need the 32 GB, but I hate the idea of a "I told you so" down the road. So, for $50 more, is it worth just upgrading to the 3 with twice the space? Despite really stretching the budget for these kids, I'm leaning towards yes.
                I picked up two iPad Mini 2 last week on AMazon for $330. 32 GB
                "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Apple was, by far, the most popular gift choice over Christmas week, in terms of electronic devices. According to data from mobile analytics company Flurry charted for us by BI Intelligence, more than half of all the new mobile devices activated around the world — 51%, to be exact — were Apple products.

That’s an incredible feat, especially since Apple’s competitors weren’t even close. In fact, roughly three Apple devices were activated for every Samsung device activated over the Christmas holiday. Other smartphones from LG and Sony all made up around 1% of smartphones sold during the holiday period, while HTC and Xiaomi devices claimed less than 1% of all activations. As Flurry aptly writes, “It’s clear that Santa is no longer into cookies — he prefers Apples.”
                  http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...s-year-2014-12
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• The iCar?

Apple’s car project is real and it could be spectacular

What started as a highly questionable, albeit interesting, rumor — Apple building some sort of car-related product, maybe even a car of its own — is slowly getting more and more traction. Separate reports from The Financial Times and The Wall Street Journal both say that Apple is eyeing the car business and the Journal has learned a lot more details about Apple’s plans to build a car of its own. The bottom line: The project might be a lot more exciting than it may initially sound.

According to the publication, Tim Cook approved the car project almost a year ago, putting in charge Vice President Steve Zadesky, a former Ford engineer who helped lead the teams that created the iPod and iPhone.

Zadesky apparently can hire up to 1,000 people to work on the car team and he can poach personnel from various parts of the company. This Apple project is apparently so hot that it convinced many to continue their employment at Apple instead of throwing in the towel because of “the pressure of churning new products every year.” So far, the team has hundreds of people working on the project.
                    [...]
                    http://bgr.com/2015/02/14/apple-car-...ctric-minivan/

And it is a minivan!
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Minivan? And there goes Apple being cool.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                        Minivan? And there goes Apple being cool.
                        They know their demo.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                          Minivan? And there goes Apple being cool.
                          Looks like they superimposed the apple logo on an Audi steering wheel.
                          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• I'm guessing this car will compete with the upper-end tesla for a cool 350hp.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Ha.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• That's fantastic! I'm going to borrow it.

Comment

Working...
                                X