How do sports bars work?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Brian
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 2164

    #1

    How do sports bars work?

    embarassed to ask, but i want to watch the game tomorrow.
    i'm heading to portland for the week and so I'll be in a hotel come utah-tcu gametime.
    if i want to watch the game at a sports bar, what is kosher? will they let me sit there all game at watch if i buy dinner? i'm not going to buy whiskey the whole time, will they give the evil eye and put floaties in my soda?
    if i'm the only one that wants that game, what is the procedure?

    option 2 would be justin.tv in the hotel room.
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright
  • YOhio
    Hipster Mode
    • Nov 2008
    • 26165

    #2
    Are you at SC09? NERD!!!!

    Comment

    • BoylenOver
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 9146

      #3
      My experience is if you buy a dinner and a drink, you're fine. Service might be scarce after you've paid your check midway through the 3rd quarter, but they won't boot you out or anything.
      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

      Comment

      • cowboy
        Homer Weems
        • Dec 2008
        • 5740

        #4
        Be sure to tip the waitress extra. My rule of thumb is to tip a meal's worth for every 45 minutes to an hour that I'm there. A waitress only gets so many tables, so if you are taking one of her tables then you need to pay her for it.
        sigpic
        "Outlined against a blue, gray
        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
        Grantland Rice, 1924

        Comment

        • Brian
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 2164

          #5
          Originally posted by YOhio View Post
          Are you at SC09? NERD!!!!
          Yep. You coming to hear me present my paper?


          (Talking about nerds, how do you know about SC?)
          I intend to live forever.
          So far, so good.
          --Steven Wright

          Comment

          • Brian
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 2164

            #6
            Thanks all for the info.
            I intend to live forever.
            So far, so good.
            --Steven Wright

            Comment

            • Art Vandelay
              Striving for mediocrity
              • Jul 2009
              • 10516

              #7
              Originally posted by Brian View Post
              embarassed to ask, but i want to watch the game tomorrow.
              i'm heading to portland for the week and so I'll be in a hotel come utah-tcu gametime.
              if i want to watch the game at a sports bar, what is kosher? will they let me sit there all game at watch if i buy dinner? i'm not going to buy whiskey the whole time, will they give the evil eye and put floaties in my soda?
              if i'm the only one that wants that game, what is the procedure?

              option 2 would be justin.tv in the hotel room.

              I remember reading once when I lived in Portland, that PDx had the highest # of strip clubs per capita of any city in the US (the paper stated this like it was a tourism fact the city should be proud of). I don't know if they serve food or have the MTN in these establishments, I don't have first hand knowledge but I believe the tipping procedure is more straightforward. Landpoke?
              Last edited by Art Vandelay; 11-13-2009, 09:25 AM.

              Comment

              • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                Time to camp
                • Nov 2008
                • 26082

                #8
                Originally posted by Brian View Post
                Yep. You coming to hear me present my paper?


                (Talking about nerds, how do you know about SC?)
                I don't know what SC is, but when is your presentation? Maybe I will come listen. How nerdy is it?

                You would be welcome to come down to Eugene and watch, ldc and I will be leaving for the Duck/ASU game at halftime so if you want to earn a couple of bucks babysitting that would be even better. My babysitting payment rule is very simple, you get $20. If you are here an hour good for you, if you are here 4 hours good for me.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

                Comment

                • landpoke
                  Never once baby snatched
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 4183

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                  I remember reading once when I lived in Portland, that PDx had the highest # of strip clubs per capita of any city in the US (the paper stated this like it was a tourism fact the city should be proud of). I don't know if they serve food or have the MTN in these establishments, I don't have first hand knowledge but I believe the tipping procedure is more straightforward. Landpoke?
                  Depends on what you want. If you want a full-service sort of experience (including the ball game of your choice) your best bet is to pay a girl by the hour and go for the bottle service. This, of course, is much more expensive than sitting at a sports bar, but you get lap dances.
                  There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

                  Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

                  Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                  Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
                  …
                  Tomorrow is Saturday
                  And Sunday comes afterwards

                  Comment

                  • Brian
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 2164

                    #10
                    Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    I don't know what SC is, but when is your presentation? Maybe I will come listen. How nerdy is it?
                    SC = Super Computing Conference.
                    Talk is Tuesday at 11AM. Conference registration is $750. (less if you're a member of IEEE or ACM) I'll save you a good seat if you want to come.

                    Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    You would be welcome to come down to Eugene and watch, ldc and I will be leaving for the Duck/ASU game at halftime so if you want to earn a couple of bucks babysitting that would be even better. My babysitting payment rule is very simple, you get $20. If you are here an hour good for you, if you are here 4 hours good for me.
                    per diem plus an extra 20 quid, not too shabby for one day.
                    I intend to live forever.
                    So far, so good.
                    --Steven Wright

                    Comment

                    • Non Sequitur
                      Where did I put my bodkin
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 5773

                      #11
                      Everybody in the bar is working for tips. Nobody cares what you order as long as you tip well. But if you're drinking diet coke, don't tip based on the price of the diet coke. Tip based on the price of a alcoholic beverage -- a couple of bucks a drink ought to suffice.
                      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                      Comment

                      • statman
                        Rabblerouser
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 2799

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Brian View Post
                        embarassed to ask, but i want to watch the game tomorrow.
                        i'm heading to portland for the week and so I'll be in a hotel come utah-tcu gametime.
                        if i want to watch the game at a sports bar, what is kosher? will they let me sit there all game at watch if i buy dinner? i'm not going to buy whiskey the whole time, will they give the evil eye and put floaties in my soda?
                        if i'm the only one that wants that game, what is the procedure?

                        option 2 would be justin.tv in the hotel room.

                        Order a coke and an appetizer, and sit in an out of the way place - or preferably the bar. You'll be fine...

                        Comment

                        • Art Vandelay
                          Striving for mediocrity
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 10516

                          #13
                          One other word of advice... if the waitress is cute, be overly loud and firtatious. They never get hit on by drunk guys trying to show off while doing their poorly compensated job.

                          Comment

                          • falafel
                            loves to talk on things
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 37979

                            #14
                            Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                            I don't know what SC is, but when is your presentation? Maybe I will come listen. How nerdy is it?

                            You would be welcome to come down to Eugene and watch, ldc and I will be leaving for the Duck/ASU game at halftime so if you want to earn a couple of bucks babysitting that would be even better. My babysitting payment rule is very simple, you get $20. If you are here an hour good for you, if you are here 4 hours good for me.
                            So he's got a lot of incentive to watch your kids really fast and get it done within the hour. Nice.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                            Dig your own grave, and save!

                            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • falafel
                              loves to talk on things
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 37979

                              #15
                              Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                              Depends on what you want. If you want a full-service sort of experience (including the ball game of your choice) your best bet is to pay a girl by the hour and go for the bottle service. This, of course, is much more expensive than sitting at a sports bar, but you get lap dances.
                              Is this some sort of euphemism?
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                              Dig your own grave, and save!

                              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              Working...