Thanks for the mobile version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the mobile version

if people ask you about seeing old content from links (and having to refresh), it is because of the "cached headers" setting in the admin cp being set to "on".

That is an excellent tool to have running, as it decreases the server load. It makes things a little difficult for mobile, but the better good of the server has to be taken into consideration.

once again, thanks.
    "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

You are welcome. Thanks for the links and info.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Works great. Thanks, Dude.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Very cool. Thanks Lebowski. Is there a way to disable the automatic mobile thing. I use Opera Mini on my BB so having the optimized mobile doesn't always appeal to me.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

There are multiple mods out there:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=174375
          http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=173239
          http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=174381

they will all redirect to the mobile version, however, the last one is associated with a different domain. Thus, you could go to mobi.cuf.com and see the mobile and still go to cuf.com and see the full version. The problem with the last one, though, is that you have to set it up properly to work.

For instance, it requires that you the folder it is hosted on be the same folder as the main forum. It can't be a simple 301 redirect, it has to be hosted on the same folder. So, in cPanel, you have to add a new sub-domain and set the folder to /home/public_html/the_dude. Doing this will kill your chances at good SEO, so you have to add an exclusion in the robots.txt file contained in /home/public_html/the_dude so that the search engines don't index mobi.cuf.com and see duplicate content.

Another option is to remove all of this and just force everybody to cuf.com full version and then make you change the style (bottom left hand corner of this page). Each person could designate their default style (IIRC, you can do this in the user CP). So, you default to the mobile version, but then you can change to the full version if wanted.

Lots of options here.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
            Lots of options here.
            Maybe we could just vote. (Just an idea, not a request.) It doesn't seem like we should be asking for much work from JL for little to no incremental benefit.

I'm indifferent on the mobile interface. It's nice that it loads faster, but I also don't get all the features (who's online, images automatically loading, etc). I'm fine with either way. If more people use the iPhone than some rinky-dink cell phone, I don't care if we stick with the full version.

(By the way, thanks for looking at this again, Lebowski. Perhaps you should just make the call on what option's easiest for you.)

Comment

Is there a way to view an entire thread rather than just the most recent post in each thread? I can't read any of the threads in their entirety.
              sigpic
              "Outlined against a blue, gray
              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

let me guess, your default mode to view the board is either threaded or hybrid?

Comment

Hybrid
                  sigpic
                  Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

That is an interesting problem. Your user settings are saying, "go hybrid", but the mobile style is just showing the latest post.

I've not had complaints on the boards that I run about this, so I'll try to investigate a hack because I foresee this being a problem for my sites, as well.

Comment

I logged out and logged back in. Problem solved.
                      sigpic
                      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                        I logged out and logged back in. Problem solved.
                        Well, I'm troubleshooting it, and I've logged out and logged back in and the problem still exists.

Comment

I changd the settings on my pc and logged out on it as well. Don't know if that made a difference
                          sigpic
                          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                            I changd the settings on my pc and logged out on it as well. Don't know if that made a difference
                            Well, if you switch to a non-hybrid mode for your default, then that will work around the problem. The issue remains, and I want to resolve it for my own forums, because I bet somebody on my forum would like to use the mobile version, but never let me know they couldn't get it to work, and so they are using the standard version on their phone (I let users decide by giving them the domain option).

Comment

Love the mobile site, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X