Originally posted by happyone
View Post
Travel Thread
Collapse
X
-
I've never rented a car there, when I've been, I've stayed with one of my brothersOriginally posted by Bo Diddley View PostI'm thinking about flying my uncle out to DC to visit the Vietnam Memorial. He still resents the way he and his brother were treated when they returned from Vietnam. I think giving him a VIP trip with time at the Wall would go a long ways for healing. I'm thinking programming in a couple of days would be about right. He and his wife with me and my wife.
Has anyone ever hired a car service? What about a photographer at the Wall?
As far as the wall goes - it is very moving. Personal ancedote - When it was first proposed and the design selected my father (4th ID '66-'67) hated the whole idea of it, in fact he was violently opposed to it - he felt it mocked the service of those who served. Then he visited it a couple of years after it opened. He was actually quite moved. Mom said he even had tears in his eyes. Every time after that when he visited DC he made a point of going to it. He also appreciates the Korean War memorial - it in the same complex. (Technically he is a 2 war Vet - he joined the NG about 4 mths before the armistice).
AFAIK, you can take photos, I have some I took there
Also, there is a replica (about 2/3rd size) of the wall in Layton. I often stop there during my walks and look up a couple of names that were/are friends of the family. It is also moving.Last edited by happyone; 06-02-2021, 04:16 PM.
Leave a comment:
-
Same ride, just a nicer, bigger, newer car. The car can be only 2-3 years old, and has to be luxurious.
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks all. Great feedback. There will likely be four of us, if I can pull it off how I'm envisioning this. I've only ever used Uber for the missus and me. If I upgraded to the executive ride, what are those like?
Leave a comment:
-
Yeah, Uber/Lyft are way cheaper than car service. The museums are opening this weekend so I expect the mall to be packed for the next month or so.Originally posted by Bo Diddley View PostI'm thinking about flying my uncle out to DC to visit the Vietnam Memorial. He still resents the way he and his brother were treated when they returned from Vietnam. I think giving him a VIP trip with time at the Wall would go a long ways for healing. I'm thinking programming in a couple of days would be about right. He and his wife with me and my wife.
Has anyone ever hired a car service? What about a photographer at the Wall?
Also, be sure to check out things that are open (the mall is (duh) but some museums are still closed and even the ones that do you need tickets.
Leave a comment:
-
What a thoughtful gift! And just do Uber or Lyft. Also, not sure if he was navy or air force, but he might be interested in that military aircraft museum out there. And a DC Ducks tour.Originally posted by Bo Diddley View PostI'm thinking about flying my uncle out to DC to visit the Vietnam Memorial. He still resents the way he and his brother were treated when they returned from Vietnam. I think giving him a VIP trip with time at the Wall would go a long ways for healing. I'm thinking programming in a couple of days would be about right. He and his wife with me and my wife.
Has anyone ever hired a car service? What about a photographer at the Wall?
Leave a comment:
-
Yes, but not in DC. The DC subway is very convenient/easy so it's all I've ever used to get around in DC.Originally posted by Bo Diddley View PostI'm thinking about flying my uncle out to DC to visit the Vietnam Memorial. He still resents the way he and his brother were treated when they returned from Vietnam. I think giving him a VIP trip with time at the Wall would go a long ways for healing. I'm thinking programming in a couple of days would be about right. He and his wife with me and my wife.
Has anyone ever hired a car service? What about a photographer at the Wall?
Also, the last time I hired a car service was before the days of Uber/Lyft so I probably wouldn't do it now and just do an Uber/Lyft instead depending on where I wanted to go. I could see hiring a car service if I was going someplace more out of the way where Uber/Lyft drivers are scarcer or perhaps if I wanted a driver for a whole day (e.g. take me somewhere wait for an hour or two, take me someplace else, wait for an hour or two, etc.). All that being said, the times I've hired a car service have been great - look up the reviews on Yelp and find high-rated ones.
Leave a comment:
-
I'm thinking about flying my uncle out to DC to visit the Vietnam Memorial. He still resents the way he and his brother were treated when they returned from Vietnam. I think giving him a VIP trip with time at the Wall would go a long ways for healing. I'm thinking programming in a couple of days would be about right. He and his wife with me and my wife.
Has anyone ever hired a car service? What about a photographer at the Wall?
Leave a comment:
-
Originally posted by Pelado View PostGlad your travels went smoothly and especially that you were able to see your dad.Thanks for the kind thoughts. It was a good visit, and calming to see him.Originally posted by Joe PublicSorry to hear about your father’s diagnosis. I hope it was a meaningful, memorable trip, tooblue.
Today is Canada Day for those who are not aware. After getting emails the past few days from the government of Canada reminding me of my promise to self-quarantine, this morning at 9:00 a.m. I got an automated phone call thanking me, and reminding me that I am now past the halfway point of my 14 days. Then, just after 12:00 noon while I was watering the flowers at the front of my house I was paid a visit by a constable from the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) on a drive by to check in on me.
I said: "as if you don't have better things to do," to which he replied: "It is what it is, sir."
When I crossed the border, I indicated I travelled to Utah, a covid hotspot. I guess that explains the extra interest. I did go to the hospital on Saturday to get tested. They certainly do plunge that swab in deep and twist and twirl it about. The results came back negative, but I will remain in isolation to the end like the good upstanding citizen I am.
Leave a comment:
-
Sorry to hear about your father’s diagnosis. I hope it was a meaningful, memorable trip, tooblue.
Leave a comment:
-
Glad your travels went smoothly and especially that you were able to see your dad.Originally posted by tooblue View PostAs I have mentioned, I live with my family in a suburb in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). My father, who lives in Utah, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in March. He was given 3 - 9 months to live. Originally, the closure of the border between Canada and the US was due to be lifted on May 21st. That deadline was extended to June 21st, and is now in effect until July 21st.
Originally, the plan was to take the entire family and drive to Utah to visit him. Faced with the prospect of the border remaining closed for the remainder of the summer, I chose to travel to see him on my own. I booked a flight with Southwest, leaving from Buffalo and headed for the border. I am an American and crossing into the US was as simple as it ever has been. I was anxious about flying, but from the moment I crossed into the US, and especially when I arrived at the airport, my anxiety abated.
Buffalo/Niagara International airport was busier than I thought it would be. But what comforted me was how considerate and how carefully everyone acted in the airport. All persons: security, airline staff, airport staff and travellers wore masks and observed social distancing.
Contrary to what the media is prone to report on, I did not encounter a single belligerent or difficult individual during my travels. I changed planes in Chicago at Midway airport. It was even busier than Buffalo/Niagara airport. Consistent with my earlier experience, everyone was equally considerate and careful about wearing masks, maintaining social distancing and fastidiously washing their hands in public bathrooms.
Arriving at Salt Lake International airport, I encountered the same conditions as in Chicago and Buffalo. Beyond the airport, having spent a week with my parents, I was pleased to discover that the same attitude of caution and consideration was prevalent among the general population. In the grocery store, at restaurants, on hiking trails and in public parks every person I encountered demonstrably observed social distancing, wore masks where it was appropriate and were conscientious in their actions towards others.
Despite the rhetoric, all persons I encountered while traveling acted responsibly.
I have now returned home. Upon crossing the border, per a Provincial Health Order, I am required to quarantine myself for 14 days. My adult son who lives nearby is able to bring me groceries. My wife and younger children are up north at our family summer property (the cottage). It is vexing to not be able to join them and enjoy the lake, but I was aware of the total cost of traveling to visit my father. It is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that comes with seeing family face-to-face considering the circumstances.
Leave a comment:
-
As I have mentioned, I live with my family in a suburb in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). My father, who lives in Utah, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in March. He was given 3 - 9 months to live. Originally, the closure of the border between Canada and the US was due to be lifted on May 21st. That deadline was extended to June 21st, and is now in effect until July 21st.
Originally, the plan was to take the entire family and drive to Utah to visit him. Faced with the prospect of the border remaining closed for the remainder of the summer, I chose to travel to see him on my own. I booked a flight with Southwest, leaving from Buffalo and headed for the border. I am an American and crossing into the US was as simple as it ever has been. I was anxious about flying, but from the moment I crossed into the US, and especially when I arrived at the airport, my anxiety abated.
Buffalo/Niagara International airport was busier than I thought it would be. But what comforted me was how considerate and how carefully everyone acted in the airport. All persons: security, airline staff, airport staff and travellers wore masks and observed social distancing.
Contrary to what the media is prone to report on, I did not encounter a single belligerent or difficult individual during my travels. I changed planes in Chicago at Midway airport. It was even busier than Buffalo/Niagara airport. Consistent with my earlier experience, everyone was equally considerate and careful about wearing masks, maintaining social distancing and fastidiously washing their hands in public bathrooms.
Arriving at Salt Lake International airport, I encountered the same conditions as in Chicago and Buffalo. Beyond the airport, having spent a week with my parents, I was pleased to discover that the same attitude of caution and consideration was prevalent among the general population. In the grocery store, at restaurants, on hiking trails and in public parks every person I encountered demonstrably observed social distancing, wore masks where it was appropriate and were conscientious in their actions towards others.
Despite the rhetoric, all persons I encountered while traveling acted responsibly.
I have now returned home. Upon crossing the border, per a Provincial Health Order, I am required to quarantine myself for 14 days. My adult son who lives nearby is able to bring me groceries. My wife and younger children are up north at our family summer property (the cottage). It is vexing to not be able to join them and enjoy the lake, but I was aware of the total cost of traveling to visit my father. It is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that comes with seeing family face-to-face considering the circumstances.
hike-MtOlympus.jpgLast edited by tooblue; 06-29-2020, 09:34 AM.
Leave a comment:
-
My favorite price.Originally posted by Green Monstah View PostHeaded to NC for a father son golf camp in two weeks. Can’t wait.
In July, headed to the family cabin in Maine for a week. Maine has a strict 14 day quarantine so my mom is dropping off groceries and we’re gonna live in splendid, rural, lakeside seclusion for a week. And our flights are free.
Leave a comment:
-
Headed to NC for a father son golf camp in two weeks. Can’t wait.
In July, headed to the family cabin in Maine for a week. Maine has a strict 14 day quarantine so my mom is dropping off groceries and we’re gonna live in splendid, rural, lakeside seclusion for a week. And our flights are free.
Leave a comment:
-
That is a great idea. Bravo.Originally posted by chrisrenrut View PostIt’s been a crazy 3 months at work, and I haven’t taken a single day of my PTO this year yet. So I finally convinced the wife to leave her self-quarantine and take a trip. We wanted to go somewhere a bit out. Of the way, not too crowded, and within driving distance. After considering McCall, Pend O’Reille, or Driggs, ID, North Lake Tahoe, we finally settled on Bend, Oregon.
I found a cabin in Sunriver, just south of Bend on VRBO. I plan on taking my mountain bike, golf clubs, and hiking shoes. We may do a day trip to Crater Lake, and even the coast (if my wife gets her way). Other than that, plus a lot of relaxing, any suggestions on places to visit, things to do? I’d normally ask about places to eat as well, but my wife is not excited about eating out yet.
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: