No announcement yet.

Travel Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry to hear about your father’s diagnosis. I hope it was a meaningful, memorable trip, tooblue.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
      Glad your travels went smoothly and especially that you were able to see your dad.
      Originally posted by Joe Public
      Sorry to hear about your father’s diagnosis. I hope it was a meaningful, memorable trip, tooblue.
      Thanks for the kind thoughts. It was a good visit, and calming to see him.

Today is Canada Day for those who are not aware. After getting emails the past few days from the government of Canada reminding me of my promise to self-quarantine, this morning at 9:00 a.m. I got an automated phone call thanking me, and reminding me that I am now past the halfway point of my 14 days. Then, just after 12:00 noon while I was watering the flowers at the front of my house I was paid a visit by a constable from the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) on a drive by to check in on me.

I said: "as if you don't have better things to do," to which he replied: "It is what it is, sir."

When I crossed the border, I indicated I travelled to Utah, a covid hotspot. I guess that explains the extra interest. I did go to the hospital on Saturday to get tested. They certainly do plunge that swab in deep and twist and twirl it about. The results came back negative, but I will remain in isolation to the end like the good upstanding citizen I am.

Comment

• I'm thinking about flying my uncle out to DC to visit the Vietnam Memorial. He still resents the way he and his brother were treated when they returned from Vietnam. I think giving him a VIP trip with time at the Wall would go a long ways for healing. I'm thinking programming in a couple of days would be about right. He and his wife with me and my wife.

Has anyone ever hired a car service? What about a photographer at the Wall?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
          I'm thinking about flying my uncle out to DC to visit the Vietnam Memorial. He still resents the way he and his brother were treated when they returned from Vietnam. I think giving him a VIP trip with time at the Wall would go a long ways for healing. I'm thinking programming in a couple of days would be about right. He and his wife with me and my wife.

Yes, but not in DC. The DC subway is very convenient/easy so it's all I've ever used to get around in DC.

Also, the last time I hired a car service was before the days of Uber/Lyft so I probably wouldn't do it now and just do an Uber/Lyft instead depending on where I wanted to go. I could see hiring a car service if I was going someplace more out of the way where Uber/Lyft drivers are scarcer or perhaps if I wanted a driver for a whole day (e.g. take me somewhere wait for an hour or two, take me someplace else, wait for an hour or two, etc.). All that being said, the times I've hired a car service have been great - look up the reviews on Yelp and find high-rated ones.

Comment

I'm thinking about flying my uncle out to DC to visit the Vietnam Memorial. He still resents the way he and his brother were treated when they returned from Vietnam. I think giving him a VIP trip with time at the Wall would go a long ways for healing. I'm thinking programming in a couple of days would be about right. He and his wife with me and my wife.

What a thoughtful gift! And just do Uber or Lyft. Also, not sure if he was navy or air force, but he might be interested in that military aircraft museum out there. And a DC Ducks tour.

Comment

Yeah, Uber/Lyft are way cheaper than car service. The museums are opening this weekend so I expect the mall to be packed for the next month or so.

Also, be sure to check out things that are open (the mall is (duh) but some museums are still closed and even the ones that do you need tickets.

Comment

• Thanks all. Great feedback. There will likely be four of us, if I can pull it off how I'm envisioning this. I've only ever used Uber for the missus and me. If I upgraded to the executive ride, what are those like?

Comment

• Same ride, just a nicer, bigger, newer car. The car can be only 2-3 years old, and has to be luxurious.

Comment

I've never rented a car there, when I've been, I've stayed with one of my brothers

As far as the wall goes - it is very moving. Personal ancedote - When it was first proposed and the design selected my father (4th ID '66-'67) hated the whole idea of it, in fact he was violently opposed to it - he felt it mocked the service of those who served. Then he visited it a couple of years after it opened. He was actually quite moved. Mom said he even had tears in his eyes. Every time after that when he visited DC he made a point of going to it. He also appreciates the Korean War memorial - it in the same complex. (Technically he is a 2 war Vet - he joined the NG about 4 mths before the armistice).

AFAIK, you can take photos, I have some I took there

Also, there is a replica (about 2/3rd size) of the wall in Layton. I often stop there during my walks and look up a couple of names that were/are friends of the family. It is also moving.
                    Last edited by happyone; 06-02-2021, 04:16 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post

I've never rented a car there, when I've been, I've stayed with one of my brothers

As far as the wall goes - it is very moving. Personal ancedote - When it was first proposed and the design selected my father (4th ID '66-'67) hated the whole idea of it, in fact he was violently opposed to it - he felt it mocked the service of those who served. Then he visited it a couple of years after it opened. He was actually quite moved. Mom said he even had tears in his eyes. Every time after that when he visited DC he made a point of going to it. He also appreciates the Korean War memorial - it in the same complex. (Technically he is a 2 war Vet - he joined the NG about 4 mths before the armistice).

AFAIK, you can take photos, I have some I took there

Also, there is a replica (about 2/3rd size) of the wall in Layton. I often stop there during my walks and look up a couple of names that were/are friends of the family. It is also moving.
                      Thanks. Still working out the timing.

Comment

Working...
                      X