About the new board name (cougarstadium.com)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DU Ute
    RIP CUF
    • Dec 2008
    • 7393

    #451
    Originally posted by falafel View Post
    This is exactly what people are talking about. You don't see BYU fans spending an hour on something just to get a rise out of the Utah legal department.
    That's because it would be futile, the Utah Legal Dept wouldn't give a rats ass.
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

    Comment

    • myboynoah
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 21719

      #452
      Originally posted by Scratch View Post
      Ha, I think you don't really appreciate how much time it takes. I am 100% certain that last year I spent less than three hours total making document requests, and definitely less than an hour making requests that have anything to do with BYU. It's essentially the same as doing an internet search for something you care about, which I'm pretty sure fans of all rivalries do. I think my family knows I'm alive and around, but thanks for your concern.
      You're losing this arguement. I can't imagine going through the process to try to figure out how to do FOIA requests in practically every state in The Union to try to find out obscure information about an instution or issue about which I care very little.
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

      For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

      Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

      Comment

      • chrisrenrut
        Strikes and Gutters
        • Jul 2009
        • 2298

        #453
        Originally posted by Scratch View Post
        The fact that BYU's legal department felt that it was worth reaching out to me to strongly encourage me to stop seeking public information didn't affect me one way or the other.
        Wow. At the risk of being labeled "obsessed with all things BYU", I'd like to know more about this. Do you know how they were tipped off to your requests?

        Comment

        • falafel
          loves to talk on things
          • Mar 2009
          • 37983

          #454
          Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
          That's because it would be futile, the Utah Legal Dept wouldn't give a rats ass.
          Bunch of Zen Buddhists running the Utah Legal Dept I see. Nothing gets under their skin.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

          Dig your own grave, and save!

          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • Scratch
            Junior Member
            • Sep 2012
            • 173

            #455
            Originally posted by falafel View Post
            This is exactly what people are talking about. You don't see BYU fans spending an hour on something just to get a rise out of the Utah legal department.
            First, that's not why I did it. That was an unintended consequence.

            Second, a BYU fan wouldn't do it for that reason because I doubt the Utah legal department would care.

            Third, I can assure you that there are tons of BYU fans who would do something very similar if they knew how easy it was and, more importantly, if there were similar issues facing the Utah fan base and the Utah fan base was making patently unbelievable claims in their smack talk that could be easily refuted with such a request. If you don't believe this then you haven't spent much time around other BYU message boards. I've spent very little time around CB, but more than enough to know that if there were similar issues and opportunities, all kinds of BYU fans would be all over it. After all, this is the fan base that rents airplanes to fly banners over Utah bowl games.

            Comment

            • myboynoah
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 21719

              #456
              Originally posted by Scratch View Post
              Ha, I think you don't really appreciate how much time it takes. I am 100% certain that last year I spent less than three hours total making document requests, and definitely less than an hour making requests that have anything to do with BYU. It's essentially the same as doing an internet search for something you care about, which I'm pretty sure fans of all rivalries do. I think my family knows I'm alive and around, but thanks for your concern.
              Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
              I think you really underestimate the entertainment value in getting a rise out of a cerain segment of your fanbase. If I knew it would have elicited a response from the BYU Legal Dept I would have been doing it myself. That's the kind of thing that makes it all worthwhile. Plus, I think Scratch did most of this at work; there was probably little or no effect on his family.
              Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
              Wow. At the risk of being labeled "obsessed with all things BYU", I'd like to know more about this. Do you know how they were tipped off to your requests?
              The motivation factor leads me to believe a simple name change will have little effect on the participation here by at least some fans of the UofUtah.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

              For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

              Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

              Comment

              • Pelado
                Bald not naked
                • Sep 2010
                • 21139

                #457
                Originally posted by Scratch View Post
                First, that's not why I did it. That was an unintended consequence.

                Second, a BYU fan wouldn't do it for that reason because I doubt the Utah legal department would care.

                Third, I can assure you that there are tons of BYU fans who would do something very similar if they knew how easy it was and, more importantly, if there were similar issues facing the Utah fan base and the Utah fan base was making patently unbelievable claims in their smack talk that could be easily refuted with such a request. If you don't believe this then you haven't spent much time around other BYU message boards. I've spent very little time around CB, but more than enough to know that if there were similar issues and opportunities, all kinds of BYU fans would be all over it. After all, this is the fan base that rents airplanes to fly banners over Utah bowl games.
                In spite of the mocking, I like your FOIA posts.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

                Comment

                • Scratch
                  Junior Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 173

                  #458
                  Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                  You're losing this arguement. I can't imagine going through the process to try to figure out how to do FOIA requests in practically every state in The Union to try to find out obscure information about an instution or issue about which I care very little.
                  It's something I've dealt with in my work, so I know that it takes about 30 seconds to make a request.

                  In any event, this thread is exactly what I'm talking about regarding the board's stance. Here you have threads dedicated to the exact subject matter, and I provided direct insight into what is being discussed, and rather than enhancing the discussion I get responses about how I'm obsessed and neglecting family.

                  Comment

                  • falafel
                    loves to talk on things
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 37983

                    #459
                    Originally posted by Scratch View Post
                    First, that's not why I did it. That was an unintended consequence.
                    Maybe not, but your brother plainly admits he would do it for that reason alone.

                    Originally posted by Scratch View Post
                    Second, a BYU fan wouldn't do it for that reason because I doubt the Utah legal department would care.
                    How many member of the Utah Legal Department do you know personally? I can't imagine how you or DU have any reliable evidence of how they would or would not react.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                    Dig your own grave, and save!

                    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • Scratch
                      Junior Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • 173

                      #460
                      Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Maybe not, but your brother plainly admits he would do it for that reason alone.



                      How many member of the Utah Legal Department do you know personally? I can't imagine how you or DU have any reliable evidence of how they would or would not react.
                      I personally know several members of both legal departments.

                      Comment

                      • DU Ute
                        RIP CUF
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 7393

                        #461
                        Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                        Wow. At the risk of being labeled "obsessed with all things BYU", I'd like to know more about this. Do you know how they were tipped off to your requests?
                        Probably the same year the Honor Code office finds out about stuff. Some self-righteous busy body who doesn't want to see their fine University besmirched be someone sporting a couple of days worth of facial hair. Fortunately, some of us went to a University that realizes how silly it is to worry about such petty stuff.
                        "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                        "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                        "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

                        Comment

                        • Pelado
                          Bald not naked
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 21139

                          #462
                          Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          Maybe not, but your brother plainly admits he would do it for that reason alone.



                          How many member of the Utah Legal Department do you know personally? I can't imagine how you or DU have any reliable evidence of how they would or would not react.
                          He's probably right. U of U probably gets enough FOIA requests that their attorneys see no point in trying to intimidate someone who posts public information. BYU, on the other hand, doesn't seem to want anything to be public.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

                          Comment

                          • myboynoah
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 21719

                            #463
                            Originally posted by Scratch View Post
                            In any event, this thread is exactly what I'm talking about regarding the board's stance. Here you have threads dedicated to the exact subject matter, and I provided direct insight into what is being discussed, and rather than enhancing the discussion I get responses about how I'm obsessed and neglecting family.
                            Originally posted by Scratch View Post
                            Third, I can assure you that there are tons of BYU fans who would do something very similar if they knew how easy it was and, more importantly, if there were similar issues facing the Utah fan base and the Utah fan base was making patently unbelievable claims in their smack talk that could be easily refuted with such a request. If you don't believe this then you haven't spent much time around other BYU message boards. I've spent very little time around CB, but more than enough to know that if there were similar issues and opportunities, all kinds of BYU fans would be all over it. After all, this is the fan base that rents airplanes to fly banners over Utah bowl games.
                            This is a good first step. You can't change what you don't acknowledge.
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                            For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                            Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                            Comment

                            • Uncle Ted
                              The Big 12 money shot.
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 28853

                              #464
                              I don't know what y'all are complaining about. Hell, we don't even have a rival anymore. Y'all should show JL and the others of the executive committee and start UteBuffaloForum.com (Yes, this domain name is available). I would come over and visit.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              • falafel
                                loves to talk on things
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 37983

                                #465
                                Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                He's probably right. U of U probably gets enough FOIA requests that their attorneys see no point in trying to intimidate someone who posts public information. BYU, on the other hand, doesn't seem to want anything to be public.
                                BYU is not subject to FOIA requests. Scratch could request that info all day and they could just give him the finger.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                                Dig your own grave, and save!

                                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...