Cuf first anniversary coming up.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SeattleUte
    Faith crisis consultant
    • Nov 2008
    • 20837

    #16
    Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    Dude, it has got to be true. I found it on the internet.
    I have suggested that we turn cuf into a cash cow like Cougarboard and donate the money to charity. I suggest one acceptable to a supermajority after some discussion. (Easier said than done!)

    This might be the thing that brings Waters if he's what he claims to be.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

    Comment

    • byu71
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22070

      #17
      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      I have suggested that we turn cuf into a cash cow like Cougarboard and donate the money to charity. I suggest one acceptable to a supermajority after some discussion. (Easier said than done!)

      This might be the thing that brings Waters if he's what he claims to be.
      One of the most effecient and well run charities would be the church welfare system. That might be one charity to consdier.

      Comment

      • JohnnyLingo
        La Naranja
        • Nov 2008
        • 3976

        #18
        Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        One of the most effecient and well run charities would be the church welfare system. That might be one charity to consdier.
        I award you 10 points, creekster.

        Comment

        • creekster
          It is NOT a monkey!
          • Nov 2008
          • 22661

          #19
          Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
          I award you 10 points, creekster.
          Thanks!



          (I htink you meatn BYU71 but at my age i need to take as many points as I can get)
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

          Comment

          • byu71
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 22070

            #20
            Originally posted by creekster View Post
            Thanks!



            (I htink you meatn BYU71 but at my age i need to take as many points as I can get)
            Maybe he just looks at the avatars and he can't tell the difference.

            Comment

            • DU Ute
              RIP CUF
              • Dec 2008
              • 7393

              #21
              I just looked up CUF's value on another site and it said it was $68. Maybe they just didn't know that Viking frequents the board.
              "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
              "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
              "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

              Comment

              • RobinFinderson
                Banned
                • Nov 2008
                • 10548

                #22
                Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                I have suggested that we turn cuf into a cash cow like Cougarboard and donate the money to charity. I suggest one acceptable to a supermajority after some discussion. (Easier said than done!)

                This might be the thing that brings Waters if he's what he claims to be.
                I think we should start our own charity. I'm serious. I think it would be a lot of fun. Here is my proposal:

                It wouldn't be the most efficient charity, but it would definitely be an interesting one. We could form a CUF emergency response team. Whenever there are disasters and/or emergencies that could benefit from feet on the ground, we send a CUF brigade to go put its shoulder to the wheel and help out. This idea came to me a long time ago, during the Katrina disaster, when I read that for a good number of survivors, their first contact with aid came from Royal Canadian Mounted Police, who had come down to help out in precisely the way I am proposing.

                A different story, that also made me think this would be fun -- I have a cousin who up and decided to perform a service mission to Peru. She had read that there were people living up in the Mountains that did not have some basic resources, so she packed a suitcase full of toys and headed to Peru. The children loved the toys, but she quickly realized that what the villages really needed was stoves. So she went down the mountain, and sent out an email to friends and family. For about $50 each, she could buy a re-purposed oil drum stove that could efficiently heat a home, improve fuel efficiency, and help with food preparation. She went back up the mountain with twenty of these, and met with the village leaders to figure out the best way to distribute them to people in the village (there were already a number of shared stoves, which is how she figured out that the village could use more).

                Anyhow, one of the things that I never liked about tithing, fast offerings, and charity in general, is the distance that it places between the givers and the doers. I think there is a case to be made for doing things one's self, rather than giving money to others, even if there is (maybe) a loss of efficiency. We could have CUF reports by our field groups, and that would be real cool and unique CUF feature. Also, I'm not sure that there really would be a loss of efficiency, when one considers the overhead of running a massive charity organization. We could do it on the cheap.

                Anyhow, food for thought.

                Comment

                • JohnnyLingo
                  La Naranja
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 3976

                  #23
                  Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                  Maybe he just looks at the avatars and he can't tell the difference.
                  Your avatar is blocked, my friend. Not work- or wife-friendly.

                  Comment

                  • Levin
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 1152

                    #24
                    Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                    Your avatar is blocked, my friend. Not work- or wife-friendly.
                    eom. Dang double posting.

                    Comment

                    • pelagius
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 5288

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Levin View Post
                      Is your wife really that humorless? If so, my sincere condolences.
                      I am sure this is meant tongue in cheek but to me it is a little over the line. I think we are better off not making biting statements about people's spouses.

                      Comment

                      • Levin
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 1152

                        #26
                        Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                        I am sure this is meant tongue in cheek but to me it is a little over the line. I think we are better off not making biting statements about people's spouses.
                        You're right, it was TIC.

                        Unfortunately, there's no TIC in your needless paternalism. And the mealy-mouthed verbiage . . . Where's SU's sharp, fine writing when you need it! There has to be some youtube clip of a pasty, overweight teacher needlessly lecturing students.

                        Count me out of this nauseating experiment.
                        Last edited by Levin; 10-13-2009, 01:32 PM.

                        Comment

                        • SloanHater
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 1348

                          #27
                          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          November 14, 2008. Bloody Friday. How shall we commemorate it?
                          I wasn't a part of 'Bloody Friday,' but incorporating your theme and Robin's suggestion of donation, I'll happily head to the Red Cross and donate.

                          Comment

                          • byu71
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22070

                            #28
                            Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                            Your avatar is blocked, my friend. Not acceptable here at my work place or with my wife.
                            I have edited your comments. Said that way, I fully understand why you would have the Avatar blocked and under those circumstances I fully support your decision.

                            Comment

                            • Fiyero
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 5266

                              #29
                              I vote for a game of Russian roulette. Lebowski chooses six obnoxious members, spins the barrel, and bans one of them. Changes his avatar to Al Pacino and publicly tells the victim "you should have seen the look on your face when I pulled the trigger!"

                              For old times sake.

                              Comment

                              • Sizzle
                                #ThisIsY
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 9004

                                #30
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                :bsflag:
                                Given the volume of traffic in the short amount of time it has been up, it probably isnt too far off. I don't think you could sell it for that though, which I guess in reality is what something acually is "worth". But i can see how they got to that number.

                                Comment

                                Working...