bb recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Haarms committed. Based upon Twitter (which you can always trust!) it sounds like this was all about Pope being able to close the deal with the Boilermaker. I don't know is Pope is long for Provo or not, but he is the most excited I've been about a coach since Crowton's first year.

I love Pope long time. His energy and enthusiasm is contagious. Any 7'3" kid who can tie his shoes and catch a basketball most of the time it is thrown to him is going to have a great shot at the NBA. Who better to prep a kid for that experience than a guy who wasn't a college star, but who stuck around the League for a while as a late 2nd round pick. Haarms is going to need to get a little tougher and will definitely need to beef up those rebounding numbers, but I'm really excited just based on the improvements we saw out of a kid like Kolby Lee who most of us thought was not a rotational player. BYU basketball is the bizarro BYU football.

Comment

• Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
      I love Pope long time. His energy and enthusiasm is contagious. Any 7'3" kid who can tie his shoes and catch a basketball most of the time it is thrown to him is going to have a great shot at the NBA. Who better to prep a kid for that experience than a guy who wasn't a college star, but who stuck around the League for a while as a late 2nd round pick. Haarms is going to need to get a little tougher and will definitely need to beef up those rebounding numbers, but I'm really excited just based on the improvements we saw out of a kid like Kolby Lee who most of us thought was not a rotational player. BYU basketball is the bizarro BYU football.
      I, for one, have had enough of the Pope era. It's about time he goes to a big-time program like Western Kentucky, or vanderbilt.

What's the deal on this transfer? He's huge, but it seemed like he didn't play much at Purdue (which is understandable given the big man talent they've had lately). Is this just an intriguing prospect or is there a proven track record?

Too bad Matt Van K. transferred from Utah this year. We could have had a lurp-off!

Comment

• I think Haarms is a solid pick up and will likely be a guy who can go for 12/8 for BYU next year in about 24 mpg. BYU still desperately needs a playmaker who is eligible for next year. I think they have a beat on a couple of underclassmen transfer options but unless the NCAA elects to allow all athletes the opportunity to transfer once without having to sit out a year none of those prospects will help next year. I am somewhat suprised they have yet to pick up a grad transfer perimeter r player who came in ready to be a go to guy from day 1. I would have thought BYU was a good enough option in that market that they would have gotten one but it appears most of them are spoken for.

Assuming Wade is done, which is my assumption, BYU has two remaining scholarships. My hope is a grad transfer that can be in the rotation and an underclass transfer. I also hope the NCAA changes its rules to allow athletes to transfer once without losing any eligibility. My kingdom for Jarred Hyder!
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
          My kingdom for Jarred Hyder!
          Would he be available immediately? Wouldn't he have to sit out a year?

Comment

• After seeing Van Komen flop at Utah, I'm not too excited for a 7'3 guy, but OK I'll take anyone where we're up against Kentucky.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              After seeing Van Komen flop at Utah, I'm not too excited for a 7'3 guy, but OK I'll take anyone where we're up against Kentucky.
              This guy can play. He's a just a wee bit better than Van Komen.

Comment

• This transfer guard Pope is looking right now, Jose Perez, is interesting. shooting numbers from last year are atrocious, but they were pretty good his frosh season and byu is in desperate need of a guy who can create his own offense and make plays. if he can be reigned in, he may be exactly what byu needs at this point. byu has only made the top 10, so chances have to still be quite slim, but if they could bring in a guy like that it would be big.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  This transfer guard Pope is looking right now, Jose Perez, is interesting. shooting numbers from last year are atrocious, but they were pretty good his frosh season and byu is in desperate need of a guy who can create his own offense and make plays. if he can be reigned in, he may be exactly what byu needs at this point. byu has only made the top 10, so chances have to still be quite slim, but if they could bring in a guy like that it would be big.
                  He didn't play as many games his sophomore year. I can't find any info about an injury but somewhere I read he "left." Perhaps injury, conflict with staff or teammates or even personal problems, who knows? I hope BYU lands him because he brings a skill set that is sorely needed, but color me skeptical he picks BYU and if he does it might not work out. BYU isn't a place for an immature 21 year old non LDS kid.

I did read a couple of folks claiming to be close to Jessie Wade and indicating he is finally healthy and expects to play next year. I really hoped BYU could land Jared Hyder but alas we are what we are. If BYU doesn't land Perez having an open scholarship might not be such a bad thing going into the summer. There is gotta be a few potential impact players who finally decide to pull the trigger on a late transfer then depending on how draft and other late signees from outside the US pans out. Perhaps BYU can find an impact perimeter creator then?????

With one wing capable of creating his own shot and scoring 15 mpg this BYU team has a lot of other pieces to be a good and deep hoops team. Without one standout player they can still be good but you gotta have one guy opposing defenses have to gameplan for to be good enough to get a win in the tournament.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                    This guy can play. He's a just a wee bit better than Van Komen.
                    Van Komen ended up at Saint Mary's

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                      Van Komen ended up at Saint Mary's
                      Van komen wasnt bad. Utah just has a potential star and a backup the same year. When he refused to redshirt that let everyone know he was transferring.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
                      "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• BYU has entered the conversation on Valpo transfer guard Javon Freeman Liberty. 19 and 6 last year and 1st team all MVC and all MVC defensive team.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

BYU has entered the conversation on Valpo transfer guard Javon Freeman Liberty. 19 and 6 last year and 1st team all MVC and all MVC defensive team.
                          Yes please.

Comment

BYU has entered the conversation on Valpo transfer guard Javon Freeman Liberty. 19 and 6 last year and 1st team all MVC and all MVC defensive team.
                            He entered the portal after his freshman year at Valpo but eventually came back to play for his sophomore year obviously. He was very clear then that the reason he put his name in the portal was to transfer to a "high major" program. I don't think BYU has a prayer for this kid once the high majors pursue him- and they will. This kid looks to me to be the best player available in the portal this year. He will go big time.

Saying that if he came to BYU it would make BYU a really, really good team.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                              He entered the portal after his freshman year at Valpo but eventually came back to play for his sophomore year obviously. He was very clear then that the reason he put his name in the portal was to transfer to a "high major" program. I don't think BYU has a prayer for this kid once the high majors pursue him- and they will. This kid looks to me to be the best player available in the portal this year. He will go big time.

Saying that if he came to BYU it would make BYU a really, really good team.
                              yeah, can't imagine byu has any sort of shot with him. i like that pope and least takes a swing, however.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

yeah, can't imagine byu has any sort of shot with him. i like that pope and least takes a swing, however.
                                Ya well if Tawny Kittain ever gets my voice mail from the late 80's there is no reason for her to return my call. I moved on but even Lloyd Christmas liked his chances at one time. I think BYU could get the kid from Ole Miss but I really hope they can land Jose Perez, but I am skeptical with that one as well- just a long way away. I really hoped BYU could land Jarred Hyder but it was not meant to be.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                                X