The ruling on sending a QB out in WR position?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Borg
    Tour de CS 2013?
    • Dec 2008
    • 1501

    #1

    The ruling on sending a QB out in WR position?

    Ok, what is the ruling here.

    IF, you were a DB, and the other team sends out their QB to the WR position (signifying a 'Wildcat' formation) and the RB is taking the direct snap.

    Doesn't the QB become "fair game" now? Couldn't the DB upon the snap, blast the QB into oblivion 'en route to the play'? Or, give him a 'chuck' within the 10 yards?

    In a way, I think this is kind of risky for teams such as OK (with their Heisman QB) sending them out to the WR position. They could be taking a chance that they get blasted by a DB.

    However, in my books, it would be extremely unsportsmanlike to do so, but I do think it opens them up for risk.
    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

    Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.
  • Clark Addison
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 10312

    #2
    I would imagine that you could; however:

    1. Depending on the severity of it, I think you could still risk a unnecessary roughness penalty (if the refs thought you were headhunting).

    2. If you do so, you are taking yourself out of the play. If you look at Bradford, he didn't even try to block anyone, he just ran down the field. So if you take the time to go knock him on his butt, there are only 10 defenders left to actually do something useful.

    Anyone who knows more about football than me is free to correct.

    Comment

    • il Padrino Ute
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 19161

      #3
      I don't see why it wouldn't be okay to give the QB a quick forearm shiver at the line. Nor do I see why it would be unsportsmanlike. If the QB lines up as a receiver, he's not the QB. It's a risk that the team is obviously willing to take.
      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

      Comment

      • BoylenOver
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 9146

        #4
        If you leave the QB uncovered and put that DB in the box, you minimize the tactical advantage the offense has by lining up in the wildcat.

        Like Clark said, there's nothing wrong with knocking around the QB, but it unnecessarily takes a defender out of the play.
        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

        Comment

        Working...