2020 College Football Thread (RIP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Sounds like the P12 is next in line to announce same thing. It's really tough being a byu fan sometimes.
    I mean, what else can be done? Con the MWC to throw BYU a bone? Beg the B12 to let us in for the year? Now I hope no one plays college football this year.

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
      Well I guess I can cancel my Minnesota trip now.

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
        I mean, what else can be done? Con the MWC to throw BYU a bone? Beg the B12 to let us in for the year? Now I hope no one plays college football this year.
        Seriously. The only real hope is that the whole season gets postponed until Spring or something. The perfect situation (obviously just for us) would be becoming a temp member of the B12 to become their 10th conference game. Of course the chances of that happening are nil.

MWC giving us temp membership? Meh, most likely not happening with Craig Thompson.

Only other option is to play UConn, Liberty, NMSU and Army 2-3 times each. Sigh.

Comment

forget about the conferences. saying they will only play a conference schedule is the easy decision today. ultimately nobody is playing this fall.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            forget about the conferences. saying they will only play a conference schedule is the easy decision today. ultimately nobody is playing this fall.
            Bingo.

I have already accepted this. Going to spend my saturdays up at the lake this fall. And hunting.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
              Correct. The B1G is essentially Southwest Airlines. They know the flight is probably cancelled, but they aren't about to have an angry mob up at the counter if they can avoid it. This is the first text to the passengers saying the flight has been delayed 30 mins for mechanical repairs. In 20 mins, they'll send out another text saying it has been delayed another hour. 45 mins after that, they'll say the flight has been cancelled.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                Seriously. The only real hope is that the whole season gets postponed until Spring or something. The perfect situation (obviously just for us) would be becoming a temp member of the B12 to become their 10th conference game. Of course the chances of that happening are nil.

MWC giving us temp membership? Meh, most likely not happening with Craig Thompson.

Only other option is to play UConn, Liberty, NMSU and Army 2-3 times each. Sigh.
                Add Umass in there and that would get BYU to 10 games. Yuck, but I guess better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  So, seems like you agree with the Ivy League's decision?
                  I'm conflicted...but it would be a long answer that few would want to read but that hasn't stopped me before. I was joint pointing out that it is not just the university and sport's teams that have a safety concern but also the towns. It is one thing to have 10K fans attend an Ivy League game mostly from the surrounding area and another to have 100K fans attending a SEC or B1G game from all over the country. Part of me thinks play the games and let football fans assume the risk (which I view as low for most with regard to ICU admittance or dying). Another part of me thinks it would not be responsible. A player could easily get infected from another player, he most likely wouldn't die but wouldn't be able to suite up and would miss class while recovering. And as much as we want to keep grandma safe, football games are going to spread this thing and I see my own family taking more risks as time goes by and question the possibility of keeping grandma and other high risk people safe. Anyway, I agree with smokemountainrain, donuthole, the dude, and others in that college football is not going to be played this Fall.
                  “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                  "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

The athletes are probably the safest of the bunch. A potential two-week bout of a virus vs. broken legs, backs, concussions, hyperextensions, ACL tears, MCL tears. This year's draft class will be the healthiest of all, if a tad fatter and a step slower.

Comment

BYU football fans suddenly becoming big proponents of more aggressive COVID economic shut down strategies.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

I usually skip over the newsbot threads but this one caught my eye:Why the Big 12 Should Offer Temporary Membership to Notre Dame, BYU

Imagine a Big 12 Championship game between Texas and Notre Dame. Or the Longhorns going into Provo to avenge the 41-7 drubbing that occurred at the hands of the Cougars back in 2014.

Of course, there is revenue to consider. The Big 12 has made it abundantly clear they don't want to split their pot of money more than 10 ways over the years. However, both Notre Dame and BYU would come in with their own broadcast TV deals. There could be a solution as simple as allowing the home team the broadcast rights for the games.
                        I agree with others here that the CFB season is likely toast, but, perchance to dream...

Comment

Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            I usually skip over the newsbot threads but this one caught my eye:Why the Big 12 Should Offer Temporary Membership to Notre Dame, BYU

I agree with others here that the CFB season is likely toast, but, perchance to dream...
                            Yeah, the Big 12 should do this... otherwise:

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              Yeah, the Big 12 should do this... otherwise:
                              Most indications are that a vaccine (or a couple vaccines) will be approved by the end of the year. Moderna is saying their trials should be done and the results handed to the FDA around Thanksgiving and today BioNTech announced they should have approval by December. Both are already building a supply of the vaccine for distribution if/when they get approval. Pushing out the start of the season from early September to late September won't make any difference at all to safety or in the ability to have fans in the stands. Granted now that we know the virus is rarely life threatening to young athletes one person testing positive won't shut everything down like it did when Gobert tested positive, but in football it'll be more than one person. And then when 3-4 starters and their backups get sick and can't play for four weeks, what will they do?

If college football wants to have a successful season, the only way to somewhat guarantee that is to move the season to the spring. But even then the conf only format might still linger. I wonder at what point does ESPN try to take the lead and force some of those non-conference games. I mean, an Oregon/tOSU matchup is a made for tv game but instead we are going to get tOSU beating up on all the patsies in the Big 10. My hope is that the ACC or SEC says that conf only play is BS and that teams that don't play outside their conf shouldn't be considered for the CFB playoff, but I know that is a pipe dream.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

The MAC is the next to officially go conference only. if you are keeping track, that officially makes three games for BYU I have been canceled. I'm sure there will be more today

Whoops. Someone had wrong info. It was middle American conference not mid american conference
                                Last edited by LiveCoug; 07-10-2020, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X