2020 College Football Thread (RIP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
    Really? The NBA and NHL had to quarantine their players to force compliance. And those players are getting paid to play.
    What’s safer in terms of contracting g COVID. Being on campus and at practice 20 hours a week and also being tested several times a week. Or being at home or off campus doing online college classes and not being regularly tested?

It’s interesting how many outbreaks there were a c month ago and most of those seem to have subsided. It seems trams are figuring it out, testing, and isolating the problems before they get too big.

I know you are the shit down king on this board but shutting down stuff like this is fairly ridiculous given the low risk of the virus to college age athletes and the fact they are probably as likely to get it away from football than they are playing football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      What’s safer in terms of contracting g COVID. Being on campus and at practice 20 hours a week and also being tested several times a week. Or being at home or off campus doing online college classes and not being regularly tested?

the fact they are probably as likely to get it away from football than they are playing football.

I agree with the last statement, but there in lies the logistical problem. Second string center catches virus from his girlfriend. Second string center has to quarantine for 10 days. Anyone who has close, consistent contact with him should quarantine as well. So his roommates, likely other players in the team, anyone who sits in his position group meetings? Anyone he has been leaning on in practice? What if he finds out he is sick 3 days after a road trip? Theoretically everyone in the who was in the plane is a potential quarantine candidate.

How do you maintain competitive balance if the entire starting defensive line on team 1 and the secondary on team 2 are unable to play due to quarantine?

And as you said, the odds of any athlete getting meaningfully sick is pretty low, but the quarantine measures are not in place to protect the football team. They are in place to reduce spread in a community.

I think the schools are hiding behind athletes protection to justify the decision. But I think that as they tried to play out scenarios like I provided above, plus dealing with different restrictions across multiple states and cities, I think they couldn't navigate through the logistical problems adequately to keep a semblance of competitive balance, or realistically feel like they could finish a season.

Add in the fact that the financial pressures have been mitigated by the conference offices helping the schools secure loans to cover expenses. With that, they are going to sit out a round and let professional sports figure out the blueprint.
      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

It’s interesting how many outbreaks there were a c month ago and most of those seem to have subsided. It seems trams are figuring it out, testing, and isolating the problems before they get too big.

I know you are the shit down king on this board but shutting down stuff like this is fairly ridiculous given the low risk of the virus to college age athletes and the fact they are probably as likely to get it away from football than they are playing football.

lol

JiC above and Sally Jenkins have addressed this pretty well already.

But it’s important to recognize one thing. Those summer workouts took place in a very small and controlled bubble — and that bubble is about to burst in a very big way. There are 16.9 million undergraduates in this country, many of whom will begin flooding local dorms and taverns and doing as students have ever done, breaking rules. Michigan has more than 30,000 undergrads and 4,600 faculty.
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
          I agree with the last statement, but there in lies the logistical problem. Second string center catches virus from his girlfriend. Second string center has to quarantine for 10 days. Anyone who has close, consistent contact with him should quarantine as well. So his roommates, likely other players in the team, anyone who sits in his position group meetings? Anyone he has been leaning on in practice? What if he finds out he is sick 3 days after a road trip? Theoretically everyone in the who was in the plane is a potential quarantine candidate.

How do you maintain competitive balance if the entire starting defensive line on team 1 and the secondary on team 2 are unable to play due to quarantine?

And as you said, the odds of any athlete getting meaningfully sick is pretty low, but the quarantine measures are not in place to protect the football team. They are in place to reduce spread in a community.

I think the schools are hiding behind athletes protection to justify the decision. But I think that as they tried to play out scenarios like I provided above, plus dealing with different restrictions across multiple states and cities, I think they couldn't navigate through the logistical problems adequately to keep a semblance of competitive balance, or realistically feel like they could finish a season.

Add in the fact that the financial pressures have been mitigated by the conference offices helping the schools secure loans to cover expenses. With that, they are going to sit out a round and let professional sports figure out the blueprint.
          After 6 (6!!!) months of a pandemic, it is sad and demoralizing that this concept isn’t understood.

This isn’t a knock on any poster here, but a more global indictment of our society. Including those in the highest levels of government who should know better.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

• "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

Right, it’s a challenge but I’m hopeful the SEC and Big12 will figure it out and have a successful season in the fall. I think the only thing that cancels SEC football is a big outbreak that spreads to the community. We’ll likely see if that happens. If they complete a fall season then they will reap some huge financial rewards, one of which is not having a large loan hanging around their necks.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                Lol first you love Craig Thompson and now you’re mancrushing on Larry Scott. Pretty soon you’ll be coordinating a write in Ann Richards (RIP) campaign.

Comment

• We haven't heard from the people with the real power in those conferences. The AD's and coaches in both the Big 10 and Pac12 wanted to play the season. But the chancellors and presidents have the ultimate say.

The SEC and ACC are right in the epicenter right now. Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina. These states are taking the brunt of the outbreak right now.
                  "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                    Lol first you love Craig Thompson and now you’re mancrushing on Larry Scott. Pretty soon you’ll be coordinating a write in Ann Richards (RIP) campaign.
                    I hate those people too (Ann Richards, bless her heart).
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

We haven't heard from the people with the real power in those conferences. The AD's and coaches in both the Big 10 and Pac12 wanted to play the season. But the chancellors and presidents have the ultimate say.

The SEC and ACC are right in the epicenter right now. Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina. These states are taking the brunt of the outbreak right now.
                      The chancellors and presidents have ultimate say, but that doesn't mean they have the real power. This isn't Stanford or Cal where football is an afterthought. At LSU they pour money into athletics like I've never seen all while the campus buildings are barely maintained. aTm raised $740 million in the year they moved to the SEC. Those donors have a lot of say in what happens. The pressure on the presidents to play fall football is much, much stronger and the big time donors are likely driving the feet dragging of hte presidents.

I still like the path of the SEC/ACC/Big12 and hope they stick to it. I'd like to see if they can get a month into the season without too many issues. If so, they will look brilliant and will reap financial rewards that could put them ahead of the PAC/B1G (well, the B1G will be fine, the PAC however is going to suffer since they are already behind financially).

Comment

• So at what point of this flight cancelation are we? Has a smaller plane been rerouted to fly us after all the dead weight has been bumped?

Comment

The chancellors and presidents have ultimate say, but that doesn't mean they have the real power. This isn't Stanford or Cal where football is an afterthought. At LSU they pour money into athletics like I've never seen all while the campus buildings are barely maintained. aTm raised $740 million in the year they moved to the SEC. Those donors have a lot of say in what happens. The pressure on the presidents to play fall football is much, much stronger and the big time donors are likely driving the feet dragging of hte presidents.

I still like the path of the SEC/ACC/Big12 and hope they stick to it. I'd like to see if they can get a month into the season without too many issues. If so, they will look brilliant and will reap financial rewards that could put them ahead of the PAC/B1G (well, the B1G will be fine, the PAC however is going to suffer since they are already behind financially).
                          Spoiler alert: They are all going to cancel eventually.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Comment

• nobody is playing in the spring. Noises about spring play are just an attempt at shelter against public vitriol.

and football is all about spectacle. bands, cheerleaders, fans, music, tailgates, crowds, hot dogs. a football game without spectacle is as boring as watching practice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Let a guy dream once in a while before you wake him up. I know the likelihood of a season is in serious jeopardy, I wrote the title to this thread!!

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                                nobody is playing in the spring. Noises about spring play are just an attempt at shelter against public vitriol.

and football is all about spectacle. bands, cheerleaders, fans, music, tailgates, crowds, hot dogs. a football game without spectacle is as boring as watching practice.
                                Yep. It's fall or nothing. The SEC/ACC/Big12 know this and it's why they are trying to salvage the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X