2019 College Football Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Joe Public
    8.1 YPC
    • Apr 2011
    • 8524

    #166
    It's been a score-fest of a fourth quarter in the Oregon/ASU game.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

    Comment

    • USUC
      Chronic Poseur
      • Apr 2010
      • 8784

      #167
      At this point, Utah needs Auburn needs to beat Bama for them to even sniff the playoff. I think they can stay ahead of Oklahoma in the committee rankings because Oklahoma's defense is terrible.

      Comment

      • chrisrenrut
        Strikes and Gutters
        • Jul 2009
        • 2295

        #168
        Originally posted by USUC View Post
        At this point, Utah needs Auburn needs to beat Bama for them to even sniff the playoff. I think they can stay ahead of Oklahoma in the committee rankings because Oklahoma's defense is terrible.
        I see it the opposite way. I think the committee will still pick a 1-loss conference champ over Alabama. But Oklahoma has two games against top 25 teams, and Utah’s one tough game just got weakened. So I think a 12-1 Utah jumps an 11-1 Alabama, but a 12-1 Oklahoma jumps them both (because Bama would be inactive on conference championship weekend).

        Style points/type of wins may come into play. And Georgia beating LSU in the SEC championship could make it all academic anyways.
        Last edited by chrisrenrut; 11-24-2019, 01:01 AM.

        Comment

        • Flystripper
          Degenerate Gambler
          • Nov 2008
          • 14089

          #169
          Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
          I see it the opposite way. I think the committee will still pick a 1-loss conference champ over Alabama. But Oklahoma has two games against top 25 teams, and Utah’s one tough game just got weakened. So I think a 12-1 Utah jumps an 11-1 Alabama, but a 12-1 Oklahoma jumps them both (because Bama would be inactive on conference championship weekend).

          Style points/type of wins may come into play. And Georgia beating LSU in the SEC championship could make it all academic anyways.
          I think this is more of a possibility. But Utah actually has a great shot. Utah has the media support right now and that absolutely matters. All of the talking heads love Utah and that will influence the committee. Things might shift before the decision but Utah is in a good spot. Oregon losing wasn’t good but it isn’t over.


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Dyslexics are teople poo...

          Comment

          • USUC
            Chronic Poseur
            • Apr 2010
            • 8784

            #170
            Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
            I see it the opposite way. I think the committee will still pick a 1-loss conference champ over Alabama. But Oklahoma has two games against top 25 teams, and Utah’s one tough game just got weakened. So I think a 12-1 Utah jumps an 11-1 Alabama, but a 12-1 Oklahoma jumps them both (because Bama would be inactive on conference championship weekend).

            Style points/type of wins may come into play. And Georgia beating LSU in the SEC championship could make it all academic anyways.
            The thing is though, this isn't an objective process. It's entertainment. It's essentially a reality show. Does a conference championship trump SOS? Or strength of conference? What about the eye test? What about eyeballs on TV for their reality show?

            Both Bama and Utah will have finished the season with exactly 1 win over a ranked opponent. Bama's only loss would be better than Utah's only loss. The SEC is perceived to be a better conference than the PAC-12. There is a high likelihood that Bama would be taken ahead of Utah.

            Oklahoma has been playing with fire too often lately. It will catch up to them in one of their next 2 games. But even if they do win out, they have shown an inability to put teams away. They won't have the style points.

            Comment

            • chrisrenrut
              Strikes and Gutters
              • Jul 2009
              • 2295

              #171
              Originally posted by USUC View Post
              The thing is though, this isn't an objective process. It's entertainment. It's essentially a reality show. Does a conference championship trump SOS? Or strength of conference? What about the eye test? What about eyeballs on TV for their reality show?

              Both Bama and Utah will have finished the season with exactly 1 win over a ranked opponent. Bama's only loss would be better than Utah's only loss. The SEC is perceived to be a better conference than the PAC-12. There is a high likelihood that Bama would be taken ahead of Utah.

              Oklahoma has been playing with fire too often lately. It will catch up to them in one of their next 2 games. But even if they do win out, they have shown an inability to put teams away. They won't have the style points.
              It kind of seems that way now, especially since they have left a Alabama in the top 5 after their LSU loss. But the committee has never left out a 1 loss conference champion. The only time a non-conference champ was taken over a conference champ, the conference champ had 2 or more losses. I’m not saying it couldn’t happen, but if it does, it will bring a lot of consternation and controversy to the playoff model and process.

              On the list of criteria the CFP Committee uses, conference champion is listed first. I have to believe that if Utah/Oklahoma and Alabama have similar SOS, the conference championship and 12th win give the edge.

              Comment

              • USUC
                Chronic Poseur
                • Apr 2010
                • 8784

                #172
                Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                It kind of seems that way now, especially since they have left a Alabama in the top 5 after their LSU loss. But the committee has never left out a 1 loss conference champion. The only time a non-conference champ was taken over a conference champ, the conference champ had 2 or more losses. I’m not saying it couldn’t happen, but if it does, it will bring a lot of consternation and controversy to the playoff model and process.

                On the list of criteria the CFP Committee uses, conference champion is listed first. I have to believe that if Utah/Oklahoma and Alabama have similar SOS, the conference championship and 12th win give the edge.
                Bring on the consternation and controversy, the sooner this thing gets pushed to 8 the better. The fact that this conservation has to happen is ridiculous.

                Comment

                • chrisrenrut
                  Strikes and Gutters
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 2295

                  #173
                  Originally posted by USUC View Post
                  Bring on the consternation and controversy, the sooner this thing gets pushed to 8 the better. The fact that this conservation has to happen is ridiculous.
                  I agree. This reminds me of 2004 when Utah had to have things break just right to get into the top 6 of the BCS formula. We were fighting Texas and Cal, and Cal lost the last week, and Utah won holding off a 1 loss Texas team.

                  At least this year, if we win out but get left out, Utah gets the Rose Bowl as a consolation prize.

                  Comment

                  • Bo Diddley
                    Senior
                    • Jul 2012
                    • 18785

                    #174
                    Originally posted by USUC View Post
                    Bring on the consternation and controversy, the sooner this thing gets pushed to 8 the better. The fact that this conservation has to happen is ridiculous.
                    Maybe it goes to 6 rather than 8. The BCS was made to keep money and access to the national championship in the hands of the haves. 6 teams takes all power 5 champions with room for an at large bid.

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69676

                      #175
                      Guys, come on. Utah is going to lose to Oregon.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • USUC
                        Chronic Poseur
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 8784

                        #176
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Guys, come on. Utah is going to lose to Oregon.
                        Just for the record, this would be my absolute preference and it wouldn't surprise me. I just have a hunch that a non traditional power in Utah, from a conference that has been viewed as weak by the committee in the playoff era, gets the benefit of the doubt against a blue blood.

                        Comment

                        • chrisrenrut
                          Strikes and Gutters
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 2295

                          #177
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Guys, come on. Utah is going to lose to Oregon.
                          :finger3:

                          regon:

                          Comment

                          • PaloAltoCougar
                            Semper infra dignitatem
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 16935

                            #178
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Guys, come on. Utah is going to lose to Oregon.
                            I’m not so sure, especially after what I saw last night. I’m glad I’m not nearly as bothered by Utah’s success as I once might have been. Still, go Ducks!

                            Comment

                            • BigPiney
                              Huge Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 12364

                              #179
                              I enjoyed watching Oregon crap the bed last night. Silly ducks.

                              That said, Go Ducks!

                              Comment

                              • New Mexican Disaster
                                Suomalainen
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 4549

                                #180
                                Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                I’m not so sure, especially after what I saw last night. I’m glad I’m not nearly as bothered by Utah’s success as I once might have been. Still, go Ducks!
                                You need to get right with God. There has never been a better time to be bothered by the success of those bastards. I hope they lose by 50 to Oregon.

                                Comment

                                Working...