Dominating the Ball: Gaggies of USU at BYU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
    I don't think putting in Wilson would make a lick of difference. We are just that bad with bad coaching to boot.
    that one didn't age too well.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
      David Nixon and Brian Logan absolutely blasting the team and coaches on the post-game show.
      Meanwhile, Wrubell is polishing turds.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        that one didn't age too well.
        Not really. It didn't make a lick of difference. I liked what I saw, though.

Comment

Not really. It didn't make a lick of difference. I liked what I saw, though.
          because there were 3 minutes to play and they were down by 30. but the fact is he did make a difference with how he played - he came in for one drive and led the team in rushing. imagine if you could that dimension over 4 quarters.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

• If nothing else, the meltdown on CB has been an entertaining read.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

• This game was lost by not being able to run, not being able to stop the run and tuning the ball over. It's becoming a trend.

Third game in a row BYU has regressed. Third game in a row with multiple fumbles. This is the third game in a row BYU hasn't rushed the ball well. Second game in a row with missed kicks. Third home game in a row where we've played like crap. Once again tons of missed blocks. UW was understandable I guess given their talent and speed but if you can't rush for more than 4 ypc against an FCS team and for only 2.8 vs USU you're not a power running team. BYU is still looking for an identity on offense. USU was ranked something like 100 in rushing yards allowed and we should have been able to pound the rock all night. Only 14 rushing attempts for 14 yards until the final drive with Wilson. Its time to start Wilson. He won't magically fix the offense but at least he'll be getting experience for next year.

Another game where the D couldn't stop the run. They also couldn't pressure the QB or tackle. I'm not really sure what the D was doing all night. Changes need to be made. Hawaii is going to eat this D alive.

What a pathetic game.

Comment

• You bring in an OL coach from a run first program like LSU to be OC, you would hope he could at least lead a solid rushing attack- he's even failed at that- worse, they have regressed in the run game over the last few games.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

• a bit of positivity re: mangum. his escapability this season has been very good, last night was nearly impeccable. he was awesome at evading rushers last night.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

• Bring back Bronco!

Comment

• Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                      Bring back Bronco!
                      I’d take Crowton right now.

Comment

• Remember that one time we got destroyed by Utah State two years in a row? That was awesome

Comment

Remember that one time we got destroyed by Utah State two years in a row? That was awesome
                          I remember up in Logan after the game, some eight year old kid talked smack to me. It was actually pretty funny. He said, "Aw...that was sad." It pretty much underscored the state of the program at that moment in time.

Those words were ringing in my ears last night after the game.

Comment

• I felt bad for Sitake last night because I would like to see him succeed but on the other hand it didn't look like he did much to change what was going on. I really doubt he is the guy to turn this around. Canada and Bushman seem to be the only real play makers on the team and with the one hurt and the other not being used much it's a pretty pathetic offense. Also Wilson and Romney will have a nice career together in Provo but it's a ways off before they make a real impact.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                              I felt bad for Sitake last night because I would like to see him succeed but on the other hand it didn't look like he did much to change what was going on. I really doubt he is the guy to turn this around. Canada and Bushman seem to be the only real play makers on the team and with the one hurt and the other not being used much it's a pretty pathetic offense. Also Wilson and Romney will have a nice career together in Provo but it's a ways off before they make a real impact.
                              Maybe sooner than you think.

Comment

• My Utah State rule is and ever has been this: when you lose to Utah State, somebody should lose their job.

In 2010, it was Jaime Hill.
                                In 2011, it was Jake Heaps-- that Riley Nelson pulled off the win in the end was gravy.
                                In 2014, we came to find, it was Bronco. Shortly after that loss, it was made clear to him that it was time for a graceful exit.
                                In 2017, it was Ty Detmer.

If this was merely a loss to an unexpectedly good team, we might suspend the rule. It was not. We got curbstomped by a team that is just not that good. We are much better than that-- or we would be, but for the soon-to-be ex-whatever it is the person does who now must be canned.

But who?

Lowest hanging fruit, and the only one that can be done right away, is Tanner Mangum. I think the venom being spewed against him is mostly unfair; for all his struggles, he's not the one whiffing blocks and dropping passes. And we've seen the cries for the backup before; it wasn't that long ago we were screaming for Tanner over a guy whose numbers weren't much different and who is now in the NFL. But within the last two weeks, we've seen how stagnant the offense can be if we do not have a strong running offense, and without Squally, we just don't have a reliable run game. If Wilson can pass not much worse than Tanner and can run a bit as well, that could open things up.

Then there's Tuiaki. Here, too, the fans are numbnuts. The defenses have been mostly stout since he arrived, with only a few games truly getting out of hand. Using the 24-point metric as what you expect of the defense, we have hit the mark in nearly all our wins and roughly half our losses. The no-blitzing narrative fans are reciting lately is completely false, by the way; he is more conservative, true, but it is untrue that he never blitzes. But something has gone awry in the last two weeks. We haven't just been bad-- we've been out of position, blowing assignments, and generally not playing to capacity.

The problems are not unique to the D. It turns out that when you start looking for someone on whom to cast blame, there are candidates everywhere: the line misses blocks, the running backs get cut short, the QB misses open throws, the receivers drop them. We are bad on both sides of the ball. When problems abound, you have to think the problem may not be the players, and it may not be the position coaches (do we owe Ty an apology?).

Kalani better figure this out quick, because if he doesn't he may be the one we nominate for application of the Utah State rule.
                                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                                X