Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    freudian slip?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      Muscle memory.
      lol
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

• so apparently today Grimes said something along the lines of - based on his play vs USU Wilson has earned the opportunity to compete for the starting job.

gotta love that sample size - he led one drive. he threw 4 passes against a USU team playing soft defense. that isn't to rip Wilson, just that the sample size is pretty pathetic when it could have been much better.

BYU was down 42-13 with 12 minutes remaining - no reason to keep trotting Mangum out there at this point - nothing good comes from it, game is over, but dude could get hurt for nothing (BYU coaches obviously feel Mangum gives them the best chance to win, so that would be bad for them). Mangum jogs out on to the field, BYU goes 20 yards on 6 plays, turns the ball over on downs.

Next opportunity - now 45-13, 6:38 to play in the game. at this point it's just silliness for mangum to be in the game, almost as if the only explanation we aren't seeing Wilson is that the coaches are worried that he will play well, in turn making them look bad. 6 minutes to play, 45-13, i have no clue why mangum is going out there. in the game he comes, 4 plays 16 yards and a punt.

Wilson finally enters the game with 3:39 remaining - score 45-13.

so yeah, it's nice that Grimes is able to look at one drive, 4 passes, a nice run and a sack to determine Wilson has earned time (hey, let's take what we can get, amirite?), but it should have been 3 drives (i mean, you could argue Wilson should have come in even earlier, but i'm being conservative for the sake of argument), 10-15 passes. still not the greatest sample size to draw from, but 3x better than what he has.
        Last edited by smokymountainrain; 10-08-2018, 11:56 AM.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

so apparently today Grimes said something along the lines of - based on his play vs USU Wilson has earned the opportunity to compete for the starting job.

gotta love that sample size - he led one drive. he threw 4 passes against a USU team playing soft defense. that isn't to rip Wilson, just that the sample size is pretty pathetic when it could have been much better.

BYU was down 42-13 with 12 minutes remaining - no reason to keep trotting Mangum out there at this point - nothing good comes from it, game is over, but dude could get hurt for nothing (BYU coaches obviously feel Mangum gives them the best chance to win, so that would be bad for them). Mangum jogs out on to the field, BYU goes 20 yards on 6 plays, turns the ball over on downs.

Next opportunity - now 45-13, 6:38 to play in the game. at this point it's just silliness for mangum to be in the game, almost as if the only explanation we aren't seeing Wilson is that the coaches are worried that he will play well, in turn making them look bad. 6 minutes to play, 45-13, i have no clue why mangum is going out there. in the game he comes, 4 plays 16 yards and a punt.

Wilson finally enters the game with 3:39 remaining - score 45-13.

so yeah, it's nice that Grimes is able to look at one drive, 4 passes, a nice run and a sack to determine Wilson has earned time (hey, let's take what we can get, amirite?), but it should have been 3 drives (i mean, you could argue Wilson should have come in even earlier, but i'm being conservative for the sake of argument), 10-15 passes. still not the greatest sample size to draw from, but 3x better than what he has.
          weigh that sample against the enormous body of work in tanner's career. roll the dice, mf'er!
          Last edited by old_gregg; 10-08-2018, 12:17 PM.
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
            weigh that sample against the enormous body of work in tanner's career. roll the dice, mf'er?
            i didn't say it and didn't even do a good job of hinting, tbh - but my larger point is, if you insert him earlier, when he should have been put in the game, rather than leading one TD drive and going 3-4 for 52 yards and "earning a chance to compete", maybe he leads 3 scoring drives, goes 11-14 for 150 yards and rather than just earning a chance to compete, he unequivocally earns the starting job going forward. or he doesn't have that success, but at least he has an opportunity.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

i didn't say it and didn't even do a good job of hinting, tbh - but my larger point is, if you insert him earlier, when he should have been put in the game, rather than leading one TD drive and going 3-4 for 52 yards and "earning a chance to compete", maybe he leads 3 scoring drives, goes 11-14 for 150 yards and rather than just earning a chance to compete, he unequivocally earns the starting job going forward. or he doesn't have that success, but at least he has an opportunity.
              I thought the same thing. It was clear pretty early that Mangum was not going to win that game. SO either avoid the risk of the kid getting beaten up by leaving Mangum in to the end. Or put the kid in earlier to let him get in some work.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• These guys can't even organize a parade. That better be a win in three weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                  These guys can't even organize a parade. That better be a win in three weeks.
                  Good for NIU. Parades are dumb.

Amirite, ute fans?
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by bertha
                    this thread is awesome
                    Hey bertha. How are things in Indonesia? Shouldn't you be helping with the cleanup?

Comment

• Total offense in 2017 under Ty- 325.9 ypg, ranked 118th in the country.

Total offense in 2018 under Grimes- 330 ypg, ranked 117th in the country.
                      *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                        Total offense in 2017 under Ty- 325.9 ypg, ranked 118th in the country.

We’re trending up!
                        Last edited by creekster; 10-26-2018, 01:48 PM.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Total offense in 2017 under Ty- 325.9 ypg, ranked 118th in the country.

And that's just after their best offensive showing of the season and with a QB Detmer didn't have at his disposal.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

And that's just after their best offensive showing of the season and with a QB Detmer didn't have at his disposal.
                            So its personnel and not scheme?
                            *Banned*

Comment

Ty's offense was mediocre with Thor and JSwag. I think his problem was scheme.

Comment

It's both.

Comment

Working...
                                X